United States
Playtri
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 16m 18s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 40+ Clydes
Age Group Rank = 3/16
Pre-race routine:

Woke up way too early to do anything civil, lol. Very thankful I packed the bikes in the car last night.
Event warmup:

Hung out a bit with some friends. Fun to watch Daryl and Grady jostle back and forth a bit. Met up with Julie and gave her the photo book I put together for her. I think she really liked it :) Got a chance this time to chat just a bit which was nice.

Swam an easy 50 (kinda because I was just bored and tired of waiting around). Practiced a couple turns to get used to depth of water and how to time it. Wanted to get better turns than normal since the swim was where I wanted to do well.
Swim
  • 05m 36s
  • 383 yards
  • 01m 28s / 100 yards
Comments:

Had a nice swim. Calculate in the extra distance traveled in the "snake" portion of the swim, plus the exit ladder and run to timing mat, pretty nice swim.

Love the first lap with everyone watching...although, I think I push that one a little too much, and when I finally settle into my stroke, I think I push less and go faster.

W.R. jumped up in front of me to possibly set him up for a fast swim. Caught him at about 75 meters in (now thinking of it, might have been 125 in). Liked the extra pressure of knowing I was going to pull him through. Felt like Ricky Bobby doing a little Shake and Bake, hahaha. Wasn't sure if I was going fast enough until after and he told me that keeping my pace almost made him puke. Good stuff. Also glad to see I closed the gap on Aaron. Of course those 2 guys smoke me on everything else, but I will take what I can.
What would you do differently?:

Train longer than 3.5 weeks for an event, hhhhmmm that might work.
Transition 1
  • 02m 35s
Comments:

Hesitated getting out of the water to make sure I wouldn't hold up W.R., but he was far enough back I could get out and let him zoom by me over the timing mat. Cruised through transition, didn't want to irritate the leg as it is still extremely sore and tight. Took my time in transition.

I can probably save :30-1:00 on transition in the future once I get the whole package together and get it on...
Bike
  • 39m 48s
  • 13 miles
  • 19.60 mile/hr
Comments:

Took off on the bike and felt good. I think the first portion is slightly downhill. Wound out to the main road that had the rolling hills. Felt tight and weak for the first 4 miles or so and started settling in a bit....but yep, water bottle failure again. No time to stop and fix in a sprint and needed the hydration with the soaring temperatures well into the 90's already, so modified my aero position to hold the bottle. Wasn't going to crash this time!! Would have been great to hit a 20mph average, but was close enough for me to be ok with it. Glad the leg was ok on the bike, didn't even notice it.

Legs felt way too strong after the bike so need to push more up front and trust I will make it through. Need some time in the saddle for sure. Not bad for the limited training time this year.
Transition 2
  • 01m 25s
Comments:

Slow dismount, and trotted into transition. Fairly quick turn around this time, really helps to have a fast swim to get on a good rack.

Push transitions instead of using as recovery, ha
Run
  • 26m 52s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

Didn't feel super hot, but could feel the heat when trying to breath. Leg was hurting, but not getting worse. Spoke with Shane before the race and he gave me some good info on the injury and how to minimize it during the run. Just took it slow and steady as I couldn't push off my right leg at all. Felt pretty decent overall. Caught one guy about .5 mile in that looked young and in shape, good feeling, then Kathy smoked by me, dang it. Ran behind her for a while, but wasn't going to be able to maintain, so broke off to get heart rate back in the 160's. Passed up Grady as he cursed us "runners", I yelled back that I was a swimmer...lol fun stuff. Ran with one firefighter that passed me who was 41 also, had a nice chat for a bit, but couldn't keep his pace today. Brought it home strong and was happy with it as a "survival" run time.

Umh, yeah, train more... and maybe loose the heart rate monitor as all it did was make me want to slow down to keep it in the 160 range instead of pushing a little.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked and drank water. Yep, thats all. lol Watched Karen take off for her cool down run, enough for me.

Event comments:

Had a good time and took 3rd in old big guys. Not bad, could have easily taken off enough time to get 1st if I knew it was going to be that close. Transitions have a lot of time to save, bike has huge chunks and the run as well. Not bad for an injury and only 3.5 weeks of training, I will take it all day.

Last updated: 2010-08-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:36 | 383 yards | 01m 28s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/16
Overall: 12/
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:35
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:39:48 | 13 miles | 19.60 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/16
Overall: 0/
Performance:
157 ave 168 max
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:25
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:26:52 | 03.1 miles | 08m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/16
Overall: 0/
Performance:
168 ave 174 max
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2010-08-22 10:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Take on the Heat Triathlon

2010-08-23 6:02 AM
in reply to: #3057963

User image

Expert
Frisco TX (DFW area)
Subject: RE: Take on the Heat Triathlon
Your still a runner - great race 
2010-08-23 8:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Addison
Nice job and pretty darn good on 3.5 wks of training. Just imagine what you could do with more training Congrats on 3rd D!
2010-08-23 5:55 PM

User image

Good race Derek. My name is Pete and I took third in my AG clyde and 6th overall AG Clyde. Man there not much time between the first couple of places in the clydes huh? I had a good time. Would of liked to push my run as I am usually running a 27:00 in the 5k lately but was bummed since I had some problems with my shins... Had to stop severl times to stretch them.
2010-08-23 7:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Grady, I havent been a runner since 1987, but I am going to work on it.

Tania, Ok let's do this.  You and me in the Fall Out Triathlon in McKinney November.  I will start training next week if you are in.

Pete, thanks.  Yeah it was a lot tighter race for clydes than usual.  Usually you have that one dude that does a 1:05 and then a couple people grouped at the 1:15ish times.  Guess this was the one time I had a shot at first since that fast guy didn't show.  The problem is that when I get to 1:05, I wont be a clydes anymore lol.
2010-08-24 9:30 AM

User image

Tyler,
yeah good race Derek especially on the limited training and it was good to see you beat your expectations. Thanks for the homestay too!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Take on the Heat Triathlon Rss Feed