Canada
20C / 68F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 14m 23s
Overall Rank = 18/98
Age Group = M3039
Age Group Rank = 4/14
Pre-race routine:

The race didn't start until 10 and it was an hour and 20 min drive to the site so there was no big rush. I got up, had a coffee and then oatmeal. Packed up the stuff and Tab and I were off more or less on schedule. Got to the race site and picked a spot for my bike, checked in and got bodymarked. First thing I did was go for a ride on the bike, 4 or 5k. Legs were feeling pretty good. As I was getting back to the transition area I saw Kirk walking up and noticed he had a new bike - nice!
Event warmup:

Short ride on the bike and a short swim right before the start. Ate a cliff bar about 30 mins before the start as well.
Swim
  • 11m 24s
  • 750 meters
  • 01m 31s / 100 meters
Comments:

Started off hard to get ahead of the pack. I was the first one around the first buoy with several people right beside/behind me. About half way to the second buoy, Parker started moving up beside me on my right. By the second buoy he was right in front of me, I tried to draft but I just can't get it right. As we went around the buoy, I didn't turn sharp enough and by the time I had realized it, Parker had a bit of a gap on me and I couldn't make it up. Swam the rest of the race alone.

I was 2 1/2 minutes slower than last year, I'm thinking it was more like 850m than 750.
What would you do differently?:

Try harder to stay in the draft and be good at it!
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

My wetsuit zipper somehow got stuck! I think it was on the flap and it was stuck good. This cost me at least an extra minute and the only way I got out was because an official finally came over and helped me. It was a heck of a way to throw away a good swim. :( Once that was over, I was away quickly. I was second into T1 and about 10th coming out :(

Practice getting that zipper down I guess, I always seem to struggle with it a bit.
Bike
  • 36m 43s
  • 20 kms
  • 32.68 km/hr
Comments:

This time includes the T1 fiasco - the actual bike time from my Garmin was 34:37 which I am pretty happy with.

I got myself in a good rhythm early on and was feeling good. I got passed by a few of the really strong bikers but not a whole lot. The top female finisher passed me at about 8k but I stayed with her for most of the ride and finished about 20 seconds behind her. She was going at a good pace for me so it gave me something to chase. I would make up some time on her on the hills and she slowly pulled away on the flats.

Not much, I'm pretty happy with the actual bike time.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Way better than T1! Only struggle I had was getting my running shoes on, maybe a few seconds lost there.

Nothing. I'm sure I can hurry it up a bit but it gets better everytime I think.
Run
  • 26m 17s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 16s  min/km
Comments:

Time includes T1, Garmin had the run time at a little over 25 mins (forgot to hit stop so not sure exactly). Typical run for me, I got passed lots and was hurting. Scott passed me around 3k and I tried to stay behind him as long as I could - held on for around 300m and then started to drift back. Jeremy passed me about a minute or two after that. No way I was staying with him...

I always think afterwards that I could have pushed more but while it's going on, I just don't know how. Cardio wise I am good but I just don't have the leg muscle strength. Hopefully I can get some good running in this winter and not be hurt like last year.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Stuck zipper in T1 and my slow running.

Event comments:

I really like this race. It's close to home and well organized. The bike route is a little bumpy but not terrible.

Last updated: 2010-07-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:24 | 750 meters | 01m 31s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/14
Overall: 2/98
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Rectangular, counter-clockwise swim in a lake. Pretty sure it was more like 850m than 750...
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 21C / 70F Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:36:43 | 20 kms | 32.68 km/hr
Age Group: 0/14
Overall: 22/98
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back on some not great road surfaces - lots of patched roads and there is a section where the pavement is kind of pebbly that makes for some bumpiness, well not really bumpy, just not smooth. A few hills but nothing bad.
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:26:17 | 05 kms | 05m 16s  min/km
Age Group: 0/14
Overall: 39/98
Performance: Average
Course: Loop on a mixture of paved road, dirt road and trail. Some hills at the start and end.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes