Vacation Sports
76F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 07m 18s
Overall Rank = 5/153
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 1/16
Pre-race routine:

*** The results are messed up so the overall are what I've determined to be the "corrected" versions. Not sure if the VacaSports team will actually fix the official results or not? Also, overall count is male + male_elite divisions. ***

Woke up at 5:30 drank my traditional shake and ate a banana. Packed up my stuff in the car and headed to Phalen park.
Event warmup:

Quick spin out on the bike and then an easy 10-15 minute jog. Saw Dan (@silentCS42) just before running down the path and chatted for a bit.

Hung out at the swim start with Dan and didn't do any real swim warmup. Just dunked under so the wetsuit was ready.
Swim
  • 26m 35s
  • 1925 yards
  • 01m 23s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim went pretty well. I caught a guys toes after the first turn and stayed on them for the majority of the second loop. I was really hot out there in the sleevless suit and pulled down the neck several times to get a swish of fresh water to help with some temporary relief.
Transition 1
  • 00m 49s
Comments:

11th OA
Bike
  • 1h 02m 24s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 23.89 mile/hr
Comments:

Initially I think my PT was picking up the guy's in front of me because I couldn't get an instant read and my mph etc was being all wonky. I rescanned for devices with the Gamin and everything started working as expected. My Garmin data is a bit corrupted though because of this.

I averaged about 240W for the entire ride which is just right given my TT numbers from throughout the year.

Felt pretty hard to settle into a good rhythm for the first half of the first out and back segment. But, my HR eventually dropped and I got my cadence and gearing worked out to have a generally solid and smooth ride.
What would you do differently?:

Try to get my HR under control sooner so I can move into a more aggressive pace earlier in the ride. Probably need to get more aggressive swim-bike bricks in to better prepare for that dynamic.

Need to get faster. If I choose to focus on Oly training next summer then I will definitely be doing the majority of my training as power-based interval sessions pushing FTP up as high as possible.
Transition 2
  • 00m 50s
Comments:

So, guy in front of me hears, "dismout at the line," 50 yards from the line and stops in the middle of the 3ft wide lane, blocking and gets off his bike. Awesome, I almost stop and mash the peddles to get myself to the dismount line and do an "almost" flying dismount.

Then, I haul into the transition area and loose where my spot is! run to the end of the row and turn around and s l o w l y go back looking for my spot. Find it, rack the bike, on with the zoots and hat and number belt and bolt out of transition.
What would you do differently?:

Mark spot with balloon or something? My plan to look for the "black duffel bag" seems to be a failure;)
Run
  • 36m 41s
  • 6 miles
  • 06m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

Hammered this puppy. As long as I can run mad or annoyed I'm GTG. And, on really crowded courses it's easy to run annoyed when people go 2-3 abreast on the sidewalk blocking passing lanes:) But seriously, I had a pretty awesome run today. It was the 3rd fastest 10K I have ever ran and I haven't really done any speedwork for the last 2 months or so, just LONG runs and 7-10 mile tempos + short transition runs.
Post race
Warm down:

None

Event comments:

Oh, to top off a wonderful day, as I'm sitting with Jeff (@jvanis) at the awards and the last prize the Gear West gear bag was up for grabs and they called out "4 9 4" I look at my arm and remember that I'm 493... Sweet I ran up there and collected my swag. Way cool day and it was a pretty much unplanned event! Thanks to Dan (@silentcs42) for convincing me to do it!!!

Last updated: 2010-08-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:35 | 1925 yards | 01m 23s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/16
Overall: 12/153
Performance: Average
Suit: ProMotion Sleeveless
Course: Double loop around rectangle.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:49
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:02:24 | 24.85 miles | 23.89 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/16
Overall: 12/153
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Double out and back on Wheelock Parkway.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence: 88
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:50
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:36:41 | 06 miles | 06m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/16
Overall: 2/153
Performance: Good
Course: Double loop around Lake Phalen.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2010-08-23 4:40 PM

User image

Regular
Shoreview, MN
Subject: Saint Paul Triathlon

2010-08-23 8:40 PM
in reply to: #3059740

User image

Hugo, MN
Subject: RE: Saint Paul Triathlon

You crushed this race!  Loads of fun to pass you on the out and back a couple of times with the knowledge that you'd be completely cooled down while I puked at the finish.

Congrats brother!

2010-08-24 9:25 AM
in reply to: #3060099

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Saint Paul Triathlon

Super awesome!  And I am jealous of your gear bag win - perfect day!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Saint Paul Triathlon Rss Feed