United States
Epic Races
Overcast
Total Time = 23m 40s
Overall Rank = ~58/70
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 1/1
Pre-race routine:

Eat some cereal and get the family up. You every try to wake a 7 year old up at 6:00am? He was not happy. My daughter and wife were good. We had plans to meet another family there and then our kids could play.
Event warmup:

Swim about 200 yards and try to not think about racing and my lack of ability. You would think someone with 0 skill would not try to race, but my MO is to go out fast and die within 100 meters or so. This was my event to not do that.
Swim
  • 23m 40s
  • 1160 yards
  • 02m 02s / 100 yards
Comments:

I swam the whole thing except for about 10 seconds I floated on my back and rested my shoulders. I was very happy with my performance especially considering I swam the last 100 meters or so hard and finished with what my feeble swimming mind would call a kick. It did suck that they didn't record my time and it really sucked that we didn't really swim the mile. I finished right behind the 30-34M AG winner so I know my time. He was also 1/1 in his age group. Maybe next year I'll have the skills to do the 5K. That would be huge. For now I'm just happy I finished and didn't get last. I really had fun and in May when I started swimming I know I would have died literally doing this.
What would you do differently?:

Write my number on my chest because both arms and both shoulder blades was not enough for them to identify me.
Post race
Warm down:

My triceps, shoulders, and other such swimming muscles were really sore so I jumped back in the lake and swam around a little. Thank goodness I did that because it allowed time for my muscles to loosen back up.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Bad form and an inability to swim in a straight line.

I was just thinking under massage they need to add I wish as an option.

Event comments:

The after race snacks were great. Those were huge snickerdoodles!!!! I would have gave it a 5 if they had us swim the real mile, but other than that I was happy.

Last updated: 2010-07-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:23:40 | 1160 yards | 02m 02s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/1
Overall: 58/70
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri shorts
Course: Kind of square
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average