EndorFun
70F / 21C
Precipitation
Total Time = 6h 10m 41s
Overall Rank = 1457/2141
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 131/161
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 3:30, packed all the nutrition into the car and drove the 20 mins to the race site. It's a good thing we got there around 4:10 because they closed the gates for parking at the venue not too much later than 4:30ish. I ate a bagel around 5 and then went and set up transition. Sat around at the club tent sipping on vitamin water.
Event warmup:

Watched all the other waves go off. My start was 8:00...an hour after the actual start. It was awesome to see how fast the pro swimmers were.
Swim
  • 32m 44s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 33s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim start was good. Being tall, I could actually run out past a bunch of the shorter guys who had to start swimming. I stuck tight to the buoys on the right and only passed each one by about a foot. At the first 90 degree right turn, I was right on the buoy. I felt good at this point, but as I rounded the buoy, I noticed the waves starting to pick up. I remembered there was some serious speed boat traffic off in the far distance when we were waiting for the swim to start and I figured the wake had finally come in. I would swim for about ten strokes and then not be able to breath for five or six strokes because waves would crash over me.
About half way I noticed someone to my left starting to gradually creep past me. I noted he was in my wave and that he had a suit with bright red arms, so I jumped on his feet. He was very easy to keep track of because of those red arms and I let him pull me to about 200 yards left and then picked it up a bit and swam past. The finish was a bit crazy, lots of bunching of athletes and I had to sight every two or three strokes to make sure I wasn't on top of anyone.
What would you do differently?:

Not much...felt pretty good. Could have gone harder, but not sure at what point I would lose my form.
Transition 1
  • 02m 52s
Comments:

I came out of the water and there was a big line of people. Used the wetsuit strippers and they couldn't get my suit off my heels, so a bigger guy grabbed the suit and yanked it off. I couldn't run out of transition because of the line of people. Not a real big deal, I still had a long way to go! I had trouble clipping into my pedals and was frustrated.

Practice with getting into pedals more often
Bike
  • 3h 04m 59s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.16 mile/hr
Comments:

I went out pretty easy on the bike course. I wanted to get into the groove and see how my legs were feeling for the day. I ended up feeling great after mile 10 and was able to push it up the big hill pretty easily. The first male, Andy Potts came flying down that hill at about mach 10....I was impressed.

I felt great going down the back side of that hill and kept picking off one person after another. Only a few people would pass me on the down hills. I kept with a group of about five riders, each of us passing each other over the first half of the bike course. I saw the mile 20 marker, looked down and my watch clicked over to 1 hour. This was okay, but I expected faster, so I picked up speed a bit. It was gradual downhill at this point and I was easily riding 26 mph. I had finished a good portion of my nutrition and enough water to keep me hydrated.
At the turn around there was a bit of wind in my face, but I still felt great. My legs felt strong and no lactic acid had built up at all. I looked down at my watch, 1:20. Okay, my goal was 2:45 so I was on track. I knew the hills on the way back would take a bit of my speed out of me.
I was cruising along in about the center of the median, which was a good 10 ft wide. I looked up, there was a girl to the far right up ahead, I had no one behind me, so I pressed on to pass her. The next thing I knew, I hit something in the road. My front tire hopped to the left, sending me to the right. At this point, my right handle bar bumped the girl that I was passing at about the hip and I went down hard. I heard a large "POP" as I hit the ground. The backside of the left side of my head hit first, then the left side of my upper back and then my right hip. Sort of like a rolling cartwheel. For some reason I immediately stood up and grabbed my bike and got out of the breakdown lane. I can only estimate, but this whole accident and getting out of the median took all of about 3 seconds. I couldn't even tell you what the girl was wearing that I bumped. The only reason I know it was a girl is because she yelled out when I bumped her. She didn't fall and just kept going. The next five or six people to pass asked if I was all right and to my astonishment, I was fine. A little road rash, but nothing broken and only a little blood. I quickly found out that my front wheel was twisted and the tire was flat. Under more investigation...one of the three carbon "spokes" was cracked on one side. Crap...this really sucks. I changed the flat and gave the wheel a turn. Wobbly...but not too bad. It wasn't completely broken, so I gave it a 5mph test drive. Not too bad. I decided to press on. This little mishap wasn't going to ruin my months of training. I took it easy, not knowing if I hit a pot hole, whether or not my wheel would catastrophically fail and I would get a trispoke of carbon in the chest. I eventually rolled into transition and looked at my watch, 3:04. The second half had taken me 25 minutes longer. This was probably going to cost me my goal of 6 hrs. My spirit hadn't been crushed like my $175 helmet and $800 race wheel, but it was a bit banged up. First half 21mph/second half 16mph. Ouch.

Maybe not run over a water bottle!
Transition 2
  • 02m 40s
Comments:

T2 went smoothly. The cheering crowd and seeing my girlfriend helped me a ton. I was glad to get off the bike and out of that position that was killing my shoulders.
Run
  • 2h 27m 26s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 15s  min/mile
Comments:

Well, I knew that this was going to be tough and I started out easy. Had to use the porta potty within the first mile. A bit too much water on the bike. I didn't care though, usually dehydrated at this point, I was happy to see that I over did that part. The first loop was all right, my legs felt all right, a bit sore, but not bad. I wanted to stick to about a 10 minute mile and with my little break, I looked at my watch after the first loop and saw 1:10. Okay, this was going to be dangerously close to missing my goal of 6 hrs at this point. I pressed on, but now my upper hamstrings and piriformis muscles were starting to scream at me. I decided to walk the aid stations for some relief. It worked a bit. About half way down towards the turnaround, my stomach decided to attack me and I ran into the porta potty. I though, this is just great, pretty much everything that could happen to me today has happened. I actually felt much better and pressed on. I looked down at my watch at the turn around 5:33. I had 27 minutes to run the last 3.275 miles. I thought to myself...well, that's basically 5k pace and figured, oh well, my goal is out the window, let's get this shit done. Mile marker 12 eventually came and I could hear the announcer calling out racers. This gave me a bit of lift and I cruised into the finish. Happy that I was done with my first HIM.

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

Hugged Kate, received my medal and ate my face off.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My limited run training and a few "bumps" in the road.

Event comments:

Because this was my first 70.3, it was special, but the race was very organized and the volunteers on the bike course and run were fantastic. I had everything I needed to do well.

Last updated: 2009-10-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:44 | 2112 yards | 01m 33s / 100yards
Age Group: 30/161
Overall: 274/2141
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Sleeveless
Course: Large square, out, to the right and back
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:52
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
03:04:59 | 56 miles | 18.16 mile/hr
Age Group: 99/161
Overall: 1062/2141
Performance: Bad
AVG Heart Rate: 156 Max Heart Rate: 184
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 87
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:40
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:27:26 | 13.1 miles | 11m 15s  min/mile
Age Group: 131/161
Overall: 1457/2141
Performance: Below average
Avg HR: 152 Max HR: 168
Course: Out and back (2 loops)
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-08-23 5:55 PM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
Subject: Timberman - Half Iron

2010-08-23 6:10 PM
in reply to: #3059835

User image

NH
Subject: RE: Timberman - Half Iron
Great first HIM overall, given what the day handed you.  A fall like that could easily have ended your day, but you stuck with it.  This sport is often about enduring though your goals are out the window, and you rocked through it.  Inspiring race.  You'll use this race to fuel future successes.
2010-08-23 6:15 PM

User image

Master
Guilford, CT
Congrats on your first HIM! Way to stick it out and finish after that!
2010-08-23 8:47 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Great job!  You showed so fierce determination after the bike wreck.  It's too bad you experienced the other problems on the run too.  What it looks like to me is, you've got back breaking determination.  Many people would have just given up and sat down on the side of the road.  I think I'll take a lesson from you on how to handle race stress.

Great job!

2010-08-23 10:32 PM

User image

Wow...sorry about the crash. 

You may not have made your time goal...but in my books, you showed the strength and guts one needs to go sub 6.

Bravo
2010-08-24 10:19 AM

User image

Expert

Great race and glad to see you got to finish. 

Sorry to hear about the crash.  Gald your ok.

2010-08-25 11:38 AM

User image

Master
New Jersey
That stinks about the crash, but amazing you continued on!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Timberman - Half Iron Rss Feed