United States
71F / 22C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 17m 6s
Overall Rank = 64/208
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 6/14
Pre-race routine:

I got to the race site much earlier than anticipated so I picked up my timing chip and then headed back to the car for awhile since I had left my water bottle there. After chilling for awhile I made my way back and wrestled my wetsuit on. My middle finger on my right hand is still a little swollen from my crash 3 weeks ago so gripping and pulling the wetsuit on was interesting to say the least. Soon enough they were herding us into the water like cattle.
Event warmup:

I floated out a little ways with 200 of my friends. I figured I would be swimming for an hour and twenty minutes so there would be plenty of time to warm up once the gun sounded.
Swim
  • 1h 17m 6s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

While technically this was a race, I had no intentions of racing it. This was merely part of a training day to prep for IMWI. This would be my longest OWS to date and the goal was to simply survive it. Add the fact that due to RAGBRAI, a bike crash recovery, and flooding in my hometown I had swam (swum?) all of 4000 yds in the previous 4 weeks, I really had no expectations.

The gun (or was it a horn?) took me by surprise. Other people started swimming so I figured it must be time to go. I started several rows back and close to the shore side. As a result this was probably the furthest away from the mayhem I have ever been so my start was relatively clean. About midway down the first section someone made up for it by kicking me in the head. The goggles started leaking and I thought I got most of the water out and sealed back up but my eye was really irritated after the race and is still a little red 2 days later.

Sighting was pretty much awful the whole day. I haven't done a long OWS since June, but even so you'd think I'd retain a little sighting skill. Aside from that I cruised along relatively easily, never really pushing the pace. As I got close to the end of the first loop I could feel my right shoulder (the one that, along with my head, took the brunt of my crash impact and kept me from raising my arm above my head for several days) starting to get a little sore. I couldn't tell if it was just normal fatigue or something I should be worried about. Usually it's my left elbow that starts to get sore after awhile so this was new.

I glanced at the clock as I finished the first loop and saw I was around 37:00. 2 minutes slower than my last HIM, but still good enough to keep me on pace for a 1:15, which is my goal for IM. I felt like I sighted better and held a smoother stroke throughout the second loop, but my pace must have slowed some because by the time I scrambled up the ramp I just over 1:17. Oh well. I accomplished what I set out to do and that was survive with enough energy to tackle the rest of the day.
What would you do differently?:

Not take a month off of swimming pre-race
Post race
Warm down:

Chatted with a bunch of BTers till my dizziness subsided and then found some food and water for a quick refuel before the ride

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of swim training. Bike crash. Did I mention I didn't really kick the entire time due to a sore groin from said bike crash? Yeah, that may have slowed me a little too

Event comments:

It was a good confidence booster to get an IM distance OWS in before the race in 3 weeks. Given the circumstances surrounding the last month of my training (or lack thereof) I am pleased with the results

Last updated: 2010-07-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:17:06 | 4224 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/14
Overall: 64/208
Performance: Average
Suit: QR ultrafull
Course: 2 Loop rectangle. Exact duplicate of the MOO course
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2010-08-23 9:52 PM

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Subject: Madison Open Water Swim (MOWS)

2010-08-26 7:14 AM
in reply to: #3060202

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Subject: RE: Madison Open Water Swim (MOWS)
Nice RR.  I am sure you will be fine in a couple weeks!  With additional healing from the crash and the taper, you will be in good shape to rock the swim, bike and run!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Madison Open Water Swim (MOWS) Rss Feed