Gilford, New Hampshire
United States
EndorFun
Total Time = 6h 07m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up to NH on Friday, checked in, met up with the BT group, which was fun. Saturday, went to Athlete's Meeting and drove up behind Chrissie Wellington who was running...FAST!!! Wow. Race day - woke at 3am and started to eat. Probably my mistake. Got my stuff together and continued to take in gatorade until the start. Parked at Ellacoya - not really a problem as I got there around 4:30.
Event warmup:

Warm up? Just getting my wetsuit on was enough!!
Swim
  • 44m 31s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 07s / 100 yards
Comments:

Horrible swim! I positioned myself on the outside and to the back. I just wanted to swim nice and easy. And I was...until I got squeezed out between two others, gulped down some water and the rest was pretty bad. The choppy water made me feel a bit seasick. Had to stop a few times, just to relax. Had another wave hit me dead on and another big gulp of water. I really was ready to call it a day, as I felt that bad. But you think about other people experiences and I took strength from that and continued on...sometimes just barely breast-stroking forward. I even had a rescuer in a kayak come over and ask if I was ok (due to my gagging after swallowing water.)
What would you do differently?:

Change sports to the duathlon??? Ehhh, not much I could do. I haven't been to the pool enough this year, so I suppose that would have helped. Definitely no speed workouts. And definitely definitely, I'm cutting back on pre-race food.
Transition 1
  • 03m 56s
Comments:

Wetsuit strippers were great. But I was still feeling seasick, so walked slowly to transition, and took my time.

Shout curse words at the water.
Bike
  • 2h 53m 58s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.31 mile/hr
Comments:

Surprised myself here. All i've been doing is slowish type rides, trying to build up to the distance. Did get in my longest ride at Lake Placid the day before their Ironman, so that must have helped. Right from the get-go, I felt good. My HR was up, although my stomach was still queasy, so cut back on the fluids/food. Only had about half of what I had planned. The out portion was great. Hit the initial hills - just easy, but since I was so far back from the swim, was passing alot of people. Then we hit the flats and I felt I just took off. Did alot of yo-yoing with a group of others. At the halfway point, it started to drizzle. The way back was a little tough - i started to feel it in the legs, but by now i was able to start eating. By the end, it was pouring rain!! Hit the hills at the end - much bigger than I expected as I hadn't driven this part of the course. The big downhill was a bit dangerous as a car had blocked the road and there was no room to get around. A little bit of the death wobble as I tried to brake. Saw another guy try to go around and almost smack into an oncoming car. Not good. But overall, very happy with the ride. Averaged 20.2mph on way out.

Let's talk about that swim again...
Ok, I'd also get in some more hill training as I was clearly not a climber.
Transition 2
  • 03m 19s
Comments:

Change my socks? Are you kidding? Why? My sneakers were soaked. My bag was soaked. Everything was soaked. Wait...what's that I hear? They're announcing that both Potts and Wellington are done and in course records? I haven't started my run yet!!!

Nothing really. Maybe put the sneakers in a plastic bag, but not really an issue.
Run
  • 2h 21m 54s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

Right from the start, had to hit the portopotties. And my feet were numb from the bike, so some stopping to re-tie the shoes. Walked/Stopped at almost all the aid stations. I knew I was low on fuel, especially when my hammies started to cramp up. So, took in extra fluid/fuel, and that seemed to kick in on the way back. Even with stopping at the aid stations, and walking the couple of big hills, I was keeping under 10:00 pace. Usually that's not good for me, but with my lack of running during training, I was pretty happy about that. Faded somewhat on the second out-and-back, but to be expected.

Ummmm...incorporate running in my training??? (Ok, I did build my long runs up to the full distance, but nowhere near the miles I should have put in overall.)
Post race
Warm down:

Seek out Chrissie Wellington for my medal and a hug and kiss.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Genetics. Lack of Motivation. It was my first race since Lake Placid 2009 and I've really been low on motivation, which affected my training, but after this race, I can feel it coming back. NYC Marathon next.

Event comments:

They put on a great race. And the Ironman mystique was pretty nice, even if it's not really an "Ironman" (so says the bitter elitist).

Last updated: 2010-08-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:44:31 | 2112 yards | 02m 07s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:56
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:53:58 | 56 miles | 19.31 mile/hr
Performance:
Out: 1:23:13 20.19mph Back: 1:30:45 18.51mph
Wind:
Course: Hills at the start. Hills at the end. Generally flat in the middle.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 03:19
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:21:54 | 13.1 miles | 10m 50s  min/mile
Performance:
Out and back 2x. My splits: 35:44 / 33:02 / 35:41 / 37:27
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-08-24 4:15 PM

User image

Master
New Jersey
Subject: Timberman - Half Iron

2010-08-24 7:24 PM
in reply to: #3061849

User image

Extreme Veteran
Watertown, MA
Subject: RE: Timberman - Half Iron
Wait, you got a hug and kiss from Chrissie?  Damn, I just got a smile and a 'congratulations'! 

Great race, especially toughing it out during the swim--that makes for a LOOOONG day when things are going wrong on the swim but it sounds like you got it out of your mind and kept pushing, which can be tough to do.

It was nice meeting you (and the rest of the BTers) on Friday, good luck with any late season races and hope to see you out on course in the future!
2010-08-25 9:30 AM

User image

Master
White Plains NY
Nice Job!!!!
2010-08-25 5:31 PM

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
Great RR! 

The swim was rough for me too.  So apparently some people train for the swim I guess? Huh.  Weird.

I didn't get a hug or medal from Chrissie!  So sad.  I would have liked a hug from Andy Potts to be honest.

Hope to see you sometime before IMLP!

Mandy
2010-08-27 7:58 AM

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA

Wow, what a race, eh?  Nice RR!  Nice Finish!  

I hear ya on the IMLP motivation drain -- that must be a tough, rough course to complete.  Saw the bike course and ran part of the run this year while working the IMLP 2010 Expo, and thought "those folks are nuts!"   You're allowed some downtime after it.  But he, WELCOME BACK!

And best of luck to you in the final months of NYC 26.2 training -- should be a fun day for you, and I hope it goes really well.  You deserve another fun finish!

Cheers, -Sunny

2010-08-27 10:37 AM

User image

Master
Guilford, CT
Nice race!  Sorry I didn't get to meet all the other BTers but hopefully will in the future

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Timberman - Half Iron Rss Feed