Concordia University
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 32m 7s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 1/15
Pre-race routine:

Woke up and was very thankful it has stopped raining...I didn't want to do another race in the rain. Nice late 8:00 start so I got to do my warm up on my elliptical, have my english muffin and banana and dt mt dew as I drove to the race. Got my race number, body marked, said hi to some people I knew, set up my transition..realized that those of us that got there earlier had to park farther away then the people who showed up late..don't quite get that one.
Event warmup:

Very humid out..I was drenched before I even started to racce! 72 degrees when I had left the house and the dew point was 71! So kept the warm up short..Did some running around...some run outs..which always make me feel like I am putting a spotlight on myself which I am definitly not trying to do but ever since I started doing them as part of my warm up I have had faster starts!
Run
  • 13m 17s
  • 2.05 miles
  • 06m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

Took top female split on this one
What would you do differently?:

This was a great run for me so I wouldn't do much if anything different
Transition 1
  • 00m 42s
Comments:

Pretty smooth transition. I was in the elite wave and they had us positioned right at the run in and run out so I had to take my bike all the way through transition to the bike out. I would have preferred it to be the other way around.
Bike
  • 1h 04m 16s
  • 21.46 miles
  • 20.04 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a bad bike from the minute I got on the road. My legs were dead and I couldn't get them to go. I was pretty much by myself the whole way and I really could have used that carrot to catch in front of me. The roads were in pretty bad shape and I only was able to hold onto aero for a small part of the ride. I got cut off my construction traffic on one turn.

But I did take the corners probably the best I have all year which is a big improvement for me and I was very happy to get off the bike and back into my running shoes!

Found some motivation to keep myself going..also I was trying to save my legs for the run which is a trade off..see T2 for more about trade offs.
Transition 2
  • 00m 44s
Comments:

Damn I was tired from the bike. That was the other thing is that I couldn't catch my breath on the bike..very odd..anyways tried to get some energy as I went through to rack my bike.

Maybe picked up a couple of seconds moving faster to the rack but then my run out might not have been as strong. It is a trade off and I find that with a lot of points during dus and tris..it is not like a pure running race where I just run and maybe pace myself a little...with dus and tris I am still trying to figure out where to "pace" myself..some races I think I pace myself too much and others maybe not enough.
Run
  • 13m 6s
  • 1.84 miles
  • 07m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

I think I had the 3rd fastest female split..I was nausous when I got out of T2 - it was so humid and there was a water station but not until after mile 1. I was just trying not to let the girl behind me catch me. Still not the worst split since it was upill for a lot of it.

Umm...puke if I could have to get the nauseua overwith and then continued along my merry way ;)
Post race
Warm down:

Drank 4 glasses of water after I was able to breathe again.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I finnished 3rd but 2 people behind me got time on me on the bike so I wound up in 5th and 1st in me AG - not too bad since I wasn't tapering and kind of went into this as a training race for the next 3 dus I have.

I definitly need to find a happy medium between bike training and run training. I am getting my groove back on my feet and now I need to find a way to get my bike up a little. I may not find that happy medium this season but I will for sure next!

Event comments:

For a first time event I think it was a great effort. Volunteers were everywhere on the run and bike course. Except for a coiuple of turns the directions given out by the volunteers were clear and easy to follow. I would recommend more water stations on the runs or at least place them differently. Other than that run right on time and was a very nice race.

Last updated: 2010-08-19 12:00 AM
Running
00:13:17 | 02.05 miles | 06m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/15
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: First of all - all of the segments were not the typical 2/20/2 so I adjusted the distance based on the course maps that the race site had on line. Started in the parking lot and then led onto the grass and turned into a cross country course which ended up being a lot more fun and a lot faster than I thought it would be.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:42
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Average
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
01:04:16 | 21.46 miles | 20.04 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/15
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: Open roads some rolling hills.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:44
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:13:06 | 01.84 miles | 07m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/15
Performance: Good
Course: Ha! This was incredibly tough - all pavement BUT we got to run through a parking lot - to the bluff above the lake and then DOWN to lake level and back up about 1/3-1/2 a mile of switchbacks!
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes