Sunny
Total Time = 3h 43m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

1st Xterra.

Event warmup:

10 min bike ride to spin up legs and short jog. Event not chip timed, splits estimated.
Swim
  • 15m
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

Water temp was never published, several estimates were under 50 degrees. Race direction cut swim from 2 laps to 1 due to concern. Easily coldest I have ever swam in, put in a couple hundred meter warm up , not sure warm up was correct statement, basically got my mind adjusted to the pain in my forehead from the cold. Beach start, not too crowded so I went for the staightest line to the first buoy, so did every one else, plenty of combat getting out there, took a goggle hit but recovered ok. Lanes opened up getting to 2nd buoy, last leg into shore was uneventful.
What would you do differently?:

Not much, executed good considering conditions and shortened swim.
Transition 1
  • 03m 30s
Comments:

Getting to T1 is long and unique. From beach you run up 3 flights stairs and trail up to field and another 1/8 mile run to transition cage. I put on Keens at beach to keep feet off gravel, rocks, etc. Once in cage, took forever to get on socks and mtn bike shoes, slowest T1 ever, still thawing out from swim. No problems otherwise.
Bike
  • 2h 15m
  • 22 miles
  • 9.78 mile/hr
Comments:

I was excited to get on the bike, single track right away. Followed someone in my AG for a while but did not want to redline trying hang with him so early, basically he had me covered and rode off. The course was fun with some technical sections and a tad slippery surface, wish I had more aggressive tire, the dry fast Hutchinson Cobra's were spinning over roots and some damp stuff. Half way into the first lap it was difficult to drink, seemed like no place to 'rest' on the bike while moving. By the end of lap 1 fatigue was on me and some worry about how I would feel by the end of the ride. Kept at it and seemed to be riding with a few racers with similar pace, followed someone for a while but was pushing to keep in touch, next thing I knew my groin muscles from pelvis to knee cramped. Panic set in, never experienced this to the degree I was suffering. At this point I was out of drink and was not sure I could make it to the aid at 3/4 lap. The cramping eased and came off and on but I was able to keep moving, although way off pace. Did arrive to aid point - had a decision to make, sip and ride/walk or guzzle the whole 22oz gatoraid endurance, I guzzled knowing that my stomach might blow but the shortage of salt/sugar was killing my thighs so I took the risk. Soldiered on to finish lap 2 to end of ride, gut was miserable but held and cramping eased - race saved or so I thought - see run.

Dial in method to get down all nutrition on bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m 36s
Comments:

Quick enough considering how I felt
Run
  • 1h 08m 33s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 11m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

Right away you drop to the beach, virtually down sliding - my quads were hammered and were showing symptoms of cramping again. Pace was way off but felt fair. About 5k there was some elevation gain that I walked to keep the legs under control but soon came upon decent back down hill. I opened it up a bit to take advantage and next thing I knew my left hamstring and right quad cramped solid - almost fell to the ground. I looked like a robot shorting out, totally crazy, everyone I passed during the previous kilometer came by as I stood there grimacing. I minute or 2 passed and was able to get moving. My run gait was wrecked, nothing was working correctly. At this point jog/walked my way in with random bouts of cramping. Took as much aid as possible at last station hoping it would get me near normal looking so I could finish the run on 2 feet - it worked.

Get enough nutrition on bike
Post race
Warm down:

Gatoraid

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Experience, took nutrition needs lightly and paid the price

Event comments:

What an experience, had a lot of fun. Ultimately performed nowhere near my potential but I will keep trying Xterra's until I figure it out.

Last updated: 2010-03-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:00 | 820 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: full
Course: 1 lap triangle
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 49F / 9C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:30
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:15:00 | 22 miles | 9.78 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind: None
Course: Mostly canopied forest, 2 laps
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:36
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:08:33 | 06.2 miles | 11m 04s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: Awesome run course - 2.5 miles on lake shoreline, epic views, canopied forest remainder of 10k
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-08-24 10:49 PM

User image

Spokane
Subject: Xterra Farragut

2010-08-25 3:08 PM
in reply to: #3062363

User image

Veteran
Maine
Subject: RE: Xterra Farragut
Nice Job!

Why was the water so cold?

I have the same issues with cramping during the Xterra run courses. I just did Xterra Lake Placid and based on last years results I was expecting a 2.5 hour day...... not 4.5! My legs were cramping at the top of each steep hill.

I guess they changed the course and added 5 or 6 miles of nasty single track. They also added two river crossings to the run portion. The swim was 2 750m laps. It didn't help that it was pouring all day.

All but maybe 10 people finished after 4 hours.

I love Xterra though.... I did IMLP last year and mile for mile the Xterra was way more difficult.
2010-08-26 12:16 AM
in reply to: #3062363

User image

Spokane
Subject: RE: Xterra Farragut
Cold water - Found out later the lake was 46 degrees at 4 feet depth. We had one of the coolest spring time weather on record in the Eastern Washington - North Idaho state line area where the venue is located. Also, the lake might be 4th deepest in US. Crazy - but the venue is spectacular. Just completed Xterra Wildride in McCall, ID last week and was totally humbled -finished 3:23 of high altitude anaerobic torturefest. Still looking for an 'easy' Xterra, yea - this has become our sarcastic joke lately. Thanks for chiming in, sometimes I wonder if there are any off-roaders on BT - Dru
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Xterra Farragut Rss Feed