triandduit
65F / 18C
Precipitation
Total Time = 4h 32m 16s
Overall Rank = 36/110
Age Group = 40-45
Age Group Rank = 7/16
Pre-race routine:

I got back from a business trip to Dallas at 8:30 on Friday night and then went to bed around 10pm. Got up and played with the kids from 6:30 to noon and then began my 6:20 drive to lake placid. The drive should have been around 5:45 so I'm not really sure where I went wrong. I was going to camp that night, but when I got into town it started to rain really hard. I ended up at the Cascade Motel just outside of lake placid.
Got up the morning of the race at 5am and started to eat the usual breakfast consisting of one bagel with honey and PB, one apple sauce, one banana and lots of water.
Event warmup:

At 8pm the night before I ran one mile at or below 7min. Right before the gun I swam maybe 100 yards.
Swim
  • 28m 37s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim went better than expected. It was two loops of 750 meters and a short beach run to get to the second lap. I tried to draft as much as possible. With only 7 hours of swim training in the last 12 months I was just happy to get out of the water with a little juice left over.
What would you do differently?:

I guess I would swim more throughout the year. Or at least swim more a few months before the race.
Transition 1
  • 04m 25s
Comments:

If you've ever raced in lake placid then you are aware of the 1/4 mile run you have to do from the water to the transition area. I brought shoes to change into for the run but ended up just grabbing them and running in bare feet. The gloves took a little time, but the rest went ok. I kept all my stuff in individual plastic bags as it was pouring all morning. That worked great.

Not too much.
Bike
  • 2h 42m
  • 19.75 miles
  • 7.31 mile/hr
Comments:

One mile into the ride I hit a major dip in the trail and heard my seat creak and move a few inches down. a few minutes later it angled a few inches up. I knew what that meant and started praying that my seat post would hold up for the rest of the ride. For the next 10 miles (first loop) the seat kept shifting from down to up every time I hit a bump of shifted my position. At the end of the first loop I stopped and borrowed an allan wrench to tighten up all the moving parts. This helped for the next 4 miles until a major bump ripped the seat right off the post. I thought it was the end of my race! I couldn't believe I drove 6 hours to have it end like this. The trail was way too rough and long to ride it without a seat. As it was, my legs were way too tired from nursing the seat during the race.
Well, 20 seconds after the seat ripped off a "VERY" good Samaritan stopped and helped me Jerry rig the seat back on. It's a long explanation but the way we were able to get the seat on caused the front of the seat to be up a few inches, so the rest of the ride I was sliding off the seat.
Anyway, I got through the ride and was just happy that it was over. I think it was the hardest I've ever pushed on a bike in my life. I know I said that at the last Xterra because of the hill climbing, but this was worse!
All that said, I LOVE XTERRA RACING!

I guess I would ride more hills and work my legs in the off season. Plan better for an event.
Transition 2
  • 02m 5s
Comments:

I guess I was really slow at T2 because I was 66th overall and 10th in my age group. I was so spent on the bike that I didn't feel like I needed to rush out.
Run
  • 1h 14m
  • 6.6 miles
  • 11m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

What can I say, I was spent. You start the run immediately going straight up hill. You then enter the shoe sucking mud section for roughly 100 yards. that part was fun as there was no way to completely avoid it. I was cramping in both of my hamstrings at the top of the hills. I also had to jump strangely over logs and rocks so I wouldn't cause a brutal hamstring cramp. I walk up a few of the hills but kind of go my second wind with 2.5 miles to go.

No much, I was pulling from an empty well.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Planning for a 2.5 hour race and entering into a 4.5 hour race. The ride and my seat took a lot out of me mentally and physically. Also the pouring rain and conditions made things tough.

Event comments:

Great venue but the rain killed the spirits.

Still going to do it next year!

Last updated: 2010-08-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:37 | 1640 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/16
Overall: 40/110
Performance: Average
Suit: yes
Course: It was two loops of 750 meters and a short beach run to get to the second lap.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:25
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:42:00 | 19.75 miles | 7.31 mile/hr
Overall: 37/110
Wind: Strong
Course: Ok, let the bitching begin! :) My decision to do this race was based on word of mouth and the stats from last years race. My training this year was based solely on what was fun on the given day and not for any specific race. I guess I wouldn't call it training but more keeping in shape. When I saw that the 2009 #1 finisher finished the race in roughly 2 hours, and heard that the bike course wasn't that hilly, I figured I could muscle through it. Well, I guess this year they changed the bike course and added a lot more miles of torturous single track. Also, I didn't get a change to pre-ride the course so that made it a lot more difficult and mentally tough. The course was 19.75 miles of twisting, muddy, rooty, rocky single track that never seemed to end. To put it into perspective, the #1 finisher last year did the bike course in 50 minutes and this year it took the same guy 2 hours and a few minutes.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:05
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:14:00 | 06.6 miles | 11m 13s  min/mile
Overall: 44/110
Course: Funny you ask! 2 loops of hills, shoe sucking mud, waist deep river crossings (yes two of them) and loose downhills. Oh, and two long flights of stairs.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-08-25 3:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Maine
Subject: XTerra Lake Placid

2010-08-25 6:31 PM
in reply to: #3063825

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: XTerra Lake Placid
Glad you were able to fix your saddle issue so you could continue to ride.

Sounds very tough but fun....

I've always wanted to try Xterra but would need another bike.
2010-08-26 4:18 PM

New user

SOUTHINGTON
Thanks for the race report...have not done xterra placid but wanted to know about it. I have done Xterra Stoaked in NH both 2009 and 2010. So I know Xterras are HARD! Sounds like Placid is even worse... 4+ hours ... ouch!

Keep on truckin!
2010-08-26 8:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Maine
Yeah, I did Xterra Stoaked this year too. I thought that was mile for mile the hardest race I ever did until Placid. At Stoaked the ride was very smooth and fast with lots and lots of climbing. Placid was miles and miles of really technical, muddy and wet single track. It was very hard to tell how far you actually went.
The Run at Stoaked was 5 miles of up and down running where Placid was 6.6 miles of a mixed bag.

You have to love Xterra.... I just wish there were more races closer to Maine.

See you next year...

Kathy, maybe you can borrow a bike for the weekend?

Next year I want my wife to do the Xterra short course at Stoaked and she will rent or borrow a bike.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » XTerra Lake Placid Rss Feed