General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Open Water Swim Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-08-28 3:18 AM

New user

Subject: First Open Water Swim
Here I am, only a few weeks away from my first triathlon.  I decided it was time to really get my feet wet, so to speak, and see how different the swim portion is outside of the local pool.  I headed down to Crystal Cove, in southern California, not too far from Laguna Beach.  The water was a crisp 56 degrees with unusually rough surf.  I donned my brand new 2XU T:0 wetsuit (which I guess is a good one as I lack any frame of reference to know the difference) and headed out for a buoy about 275 yards out.

First big problem: my goggles were no where near tight enough.  The wave action immediately started filling them.  Also, my goggles have a neoprene gasket that seals them to my face which are practically useless in the ocean.  

Second big problem: the water was so damn cold that I struggled to even put my face in it.  Really.  I couldn't even muster enough willpower to try and freestyle while side breathing.  The water hurt to the point where some hardwired part of my brain actually started interfering with my ability to make myself swim with my face in the water.  

Third big problem: I headed out and made pretty good time.  I lost sight of the buoy as soon as I got in the water (something to think about, the waves do a good job of obscuring long distance vision).  I covered about 180 yards and stopped to spot the buoy through the swells.  I found it and then looked around.  

I was totally alone.  There wasn't anyone anywhere near me.  In fact, the shore looked a pretty good distance behind me and very uneasy feeling started to settle in my brain.  See, I've had this feeling before but not in the same context.  My family and I enjoy vacationing in the Redwoods in the extreme northern part of California.  The trees there (if you've never visited) grow to immense proportions.  The largest tree I've ever seen is over 300 feet tall and over 30 feet in diameter.  The feeling of peaceful insignificance is the only way I can describe it.  And insignificance is exactly what I felt nearly 200 yards from the shore.  But not in a good way.  

I felt like I would make an easy meal for some wayward sea creature.  Needless to say, all it took was a bit of kelp touching my foot to trigger a panic driven sprint for shore.  The waves heading back in were much less forgiving than on the way out.

Has anyone else here had problems with fear of the ocean and if so, how did you deal with it?  Do I just keep heading out or maybe I should team up with someone?  Any advice is welcome. 

2010-08-28 3:56 AM
in reply to: #3068748

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Beach, CA
Subject: RE: First Open Water Swim
I highly suggest trying your first couple swims in fairly protected water.   You get the experience without the real dangers.  Come up to Long beach and swim in the bay.....it's the perfect spot.
2010-08-28 9:26 AM

Regular
Raleigh
....and team up!   I'm not sure that it's a good idea to be 250 yards off shore in swells on your own.   Did you have someone on the shore watching you?  Someone who at least knows you're out there?

I swim in the Atlantic off the Outer Banks of NC.  If I'm on my own I tend to swim parallel to the shore without going out too far and I always tell a lifeguard what I'm doing.  Iguess we're lucky to have them where I swim.
2010-08-28 10:45 AM

User image

Master
Bedford, MA
No real need to swim that far out from the shore. Swimming parallel or close to the shoreline is a good idea, especially if you are alone.
2010-08-28 11:04 AM

User image

Veteran
I have always been told here on BT and  by my other triathlete friends to NEVER swim alone in OW.  I would never feel 100% comfortable alone out there.

Swim with a buddy if you can.

2010-08-28 11:18 AM

User image

Regular
Corona del mar is probably a better spot for a first timer in Orange County, as it is protected somewhat from large waves, and there is usually always someone in the water.

2010-08-28 2:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tx
Find a friend with a kayak and ask them to follow you.  When they ask "What's in it for me?", offer optional heckling 
2010-08-28 3:21 PM

User image

Regular
Redlands, CA
He wasn't there alone.  I'm his wife and I was on the shore with 2 lifeguards watching him.  Yes, in retrospect we should have gone down to Long Beach Harbor.

2010-08-28 7:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
South Florida

Be careful. I was a beach lifeguard for 2 years and 200 yards in rough surf is a pretty good ways to cover for someone to rescue you. I always swim paralell with the shore right outside the breakers. Just keep practicing and you will get it.

2010-08-29 12:58 AM

New user

Note to self: ask for advice before going off on a hair brained adventure.

Thanks everyone for the pointers, I'll be keeping all of them in mind on future outings. 
2010-08-29 6:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
My first OWS I ended up disoriented due to the swells and sidestroked for the rest of the race (yea, I raced my first OWS).  During a recent work trip to HI I spent a lot of my free time in the ocean teaching myself to deal with it.  Swam an OWS race this past Friday and had no issues with it at all.  It just took a little time to adjust to moving water rather than a pool and I actually found it a much better experience than pool swimming.

2010-08-30 4:58 PM

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA

It is very common for people doing their first few OWS to completely freak out after they get a couple hundred yards from the shore. Even advanced swimmers can become mildly disoriented and feel like they are making no progress through the water.

For any who do end up freaking out, it critical to take a second, slow down the breathing, get your bearings. In the end, it’s the same swim you do in the pool.

Practice is the key. The more rough water swims you can get in the more comfortable you will get doing them.  

Good luck

2010-08-31 10:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Just South of Disorder
As I have mentioned in other posts I have done two OWS in sprint tri's and both times I got that claustrophopic feeling and anxiety feeling. Which I think is what you felt. My first time was much worse than my second time so I hope more practice will be the answer for my problem and hopefully yours. As for going straight out 275 yards. Not a good idea. Just go out 50 to 75 yards out and swim paralell to the shore. Much safer.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Open Water Swim Rss Feed