Normal breakfast, drove to race site about 45 minutes
Event warmup:

Little slow running for about a quarter mile
Run
  • 2h 13m 44s
  • 15 miles
  • 08m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

Course is almost entirely single track around Rampart Reservoir. First mile and a half is downhill, then mostly rolling all the way around with non-stop turns. Last mile and a half is back up the hill. Elevation is about 9000 feet. I had just got out of the porta-potty when the race started, so I was at the very back. I passed numerous people in the first couple miles, then was by myself for 3-4 miles before I started catching up with other people. At the second aid station I stopped to get in some fluids and a gel. A woman passed me while I was stopped and I spent the rest of the race trying to catch her. Never did, but we passed several other people. A guy tripped over a root and went down in front of me about 2 miles from the finish. He was OK. This was a PR.
What would you do differently?:

With only 2 aid stations maybe I could have carried my own fluids and not have had to stop, but that may have made me run slower so it's just a guess. I stopped at the aid station because I wanted to make sure I got in enough water for the gel to digest. I could have worn my lighter shoes as well.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk around, drink some water and Gatorade

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Limited training on this type of terrain.

Event comments:

Nice little trail race put on the the Pikes Peak Road Runners. Very low key event, but some serious runners always participate.

Last updated: 2009-09-20 12:00 AM
Running
02:13:44 | 15 miles | 08m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/5
Overall: 29/105
Performance: Good
Course: The course is on a single-track dirt trail that runs around the perimeter of Rampart Reservoir. In some places, the trail is rocky with exposed tree roots. The elevation is around 9,000 feet, with some rolling ups and downs. Runners proceed clockwise around the reservoir, and will also run across the dam on the east end of the reservoir.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes