General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Experimenting with more aggressive aero position Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-08-28 12:42 PM

User image

Master
Baltimore
Subject: Experimenting with more aggressive aero position
I want to experiment with a more aggressive aero position.  Right now I have a 90mm stem with 10 degree rise in the up position I could flip over.  I also have spacers I could remove.  Which one would you suggest to try first?  Also, what effects will doing either have on the rest of my fit (e.g. should I nudge the seat forward or back or up etc)?  One thing I'd probably do is nose the saddle down slightly, but I've sort of been wanting to do that anyway.  I know this is secondary concern, but I think spacers above the stem looks a little dumb...but I guess I'd favor best fit vs aesthetics for now. 

Thanks. 

2010-08-28 12:53 PM
in reply to: #3069031

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Subject: RE: Experimenting with more aggressive aero position
Take a spacer (or more) out and see how it feels.  It's possible that you'd need to move your seat, but impossible to say without knowing how you are fit now.

Once your fit is dialed in you can easily get rid of all spaces by cutting the tube, if you want.

Why do you want to tip your seat forward?  If it's already level, I personally wouldn't recommend that.
2010-08-30 3:23 PM

User image

Master
Baltimore
I flipped the stem (haha, call me a slave to fashion).  I could feel the drop, but my body (back, arms, neck etc) was fine with it.  Didn't change anything else.  Planned to do a 30 min trainer spin first, but skipped that and just went out for about 57 miles.  I was worried about scrunching up the boys, and it was a valid worry.  I really want to angle the saddle down a few degrees (it's pretty flat now).  I was riding my same bike and saddle with a few degrees down tilt with no problems before.  A crashed bike/new bike and fit later, and they put the saddle pretty flat.  i'd been wanting to nudge the nose down again anyway.  It wasn't uncomfortable or numb-causing, just felt a little less comfortable and had a more numbing potential, so I never bothered. 

The only limiter on this ride (and it WAS a limiter) was more pressure than i want down there.  Why exactly shouldn't I nose it down?  If the only problem is a little less comfort sitting up/possibly sliding forward (though never a problem when my saddle was angled down before) vs numbness in aero...I'll take less comfort sitting up as I don't plan to be there much anyway.  FWIW, I ride an adamo road, the first saddle I've ever ridden that I don't go numb on, in any position.

Also, more importantly, which is more aero - cut steerer and stem angled up or full steerer and stem angled flat?
2010-08-30 4:12 PM

I have the Adamo Racing too, it's impossible for me to sit on it comfortably (without going numb) without having the nose down. Especially now i have dropped the bars in the front a bit too on the TT bike.

Before dropping the bars, the seat was down, but the rails were horizontal.  Now i have dropped the bars, even the rails are leaning forward a bit. 

I don't know what it is with that seat (maybe because you sit more forward on it), but there is no way i would be comfortable with the seat being flat, it would be worse than a normal saddle.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Experimenting with more aggressive aero position Rss Feed