Team Rocket TriClub
83F / 28C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 10m 38s
Overall Rank = 225/271
Age Group = 35-40
Age Group Rank = 28/31
Pre-race routine:

Put everything out the night before, got bike ready with setup, made drinks and iced down, etc. (2 gels on bike, 2 water bottles, 1 HEED bottle) Woke up at 4:45am, got dressed and packed up to head out the door. No late checkout (bummer). Had a cliff bar while getting packed up and drank water. Left hotel about 5:20am.
Event warmup:

Had another cliff bar and got transition setup. Did a 2-3 mile bike warmup, then a short run. Got in a short swim last to get ready. Finished swim warmup around 7:15am, time to head to the race start. Turn on Garmin (oops, not working GREAT!!!) oh well, no garmin, had to do it the old fashion way and track my pace with my watch.
Swim
  • 34m 46s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 07s / 100 yards
Comments:

Good swim for my first time at this distance. I was more comfortable, decent rythm, although there is room for improvement.
What would you do differently?:

Need to work on freestyle at distance. Probably got in too much sidestroke along the way to rest. was hoping for a 30/min swim.
Transition 1
  • 01m 44s
Comments:

Good transition, putting on socks held me up a minute. Didn't want to run the 6.2 miles without socks, so decided I would go ahead and put them on in T1.

Nothing, overall pretty good transition, but could probably be done a bit faster.
Bike
  • 1h 19m 6s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.85 mile/hr
Comments:

Good ride overall, wish I could have averaged 19, but I'll take the bike split time. Legs cramped in the first mile after the swim. Had to stretch out a bit for the first 3 miles and settle into a good cadence. I was a bit lost without the Garmin, but paced pretty decent throughout. I may have gone a bit too hard, but my breathing felt good. Legs were getting a bit tired toward the end of the ride (mile 22). Also, felt like I had a headwind the entire way....I kept thinking, where is the dang tailwind, as I figured I would get that eventually...oh well.

Pace a bit better, need to get in some more good bike training. Overall fitness at this distance was a limitor.
Transition 2
  • 01m 37s
Comments:

Decent transition, probably needs some work. Decided I needed a sip of water, which slowed me down. Could have gotten that out of Transition on the run.

Don't take a sip of water and waste any time otherwise. I could have done it around 1 minute.
Run
  • 1h 13m 40s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 11m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

As usual, towards the end of my age group on the run. Definitely my weekest link. The first mile felt pretty good, at a 10:45 pace. At 1.5 miles, CRAMPS....ouch. From that point, it was run as far as I can, and walk. run, walk, run, walk (mostly based on the cramps the first 4 miles, then my HR caught up). Had to walk the hills, as my cramps got worse up the hills. Still surprised by the sub 12 minute pace though, so not as bad as I was expecting. Definitely room for improvment.

Run more....Fitness was definitly the limitor at this distance, and my cramps showed it. Winter training will include much running, with some focus on biking also.
Post race
Warm down:

Sat down at the finish w/ water and streched out the legs a bit. Walked around and had a bannana, cookie and 1 piece of pizza.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Too hard on bike???? Overall fitness level at distance.

Event comments:

Overall, good race. Enjoyed the race, pretty good course, good support. Expo was light, as was the finish area, but overall good support and gracious volunteers.

Last updated: 2010-07-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:46 | 1640 yards | 02m 07s / 100yards
Age Group: 19/31
Overall: 31/271
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Upcurrent, then turn side, then turn down current. Triangle course.
Start type: Dive Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:44
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes