Rivertown Race Series
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 38m 26s
Overall Rank = 16/100
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 3/10
Pre-race routine:

woke up at 4:15 to leave home by 5:00. ate 2 eggs and some oatmeal before leaving home, then half a banana and a few bites of a clif bar about 1/2 hour before race start.
arrived in Sunbury at 6:30 as planned. walked around, looked for Scott who i knew would be doing the race as well.
Event warmup:

no warm-up. i wanted a swim warm up but the pre race meeting left us about 2 minuted to get in the water and get situated.
Swim
  • 30m 20s
  • 1584 yards
  • 01m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

this was not a very good swim for me. this was my first race where i really felt like i was starting off in a washing machine. i was getting hit, i was hitting people, my goggles got bumped a few times allowing water to get in. had to stop 3 times early on to let water out of my goggles and make sure i didnt lose a contac. i felt a bit of a panic coming on, but i fought hard to remain calm, get the breathing back under control, and focus on swimming in the same fashion as i train. dont go berzerk trying to make the front.
What would you do differently?:

start more towards the front and to the side.
Transition 1
  • 02m 20s
Comments:

this is about my normal speed. although transition timing started as soon as we got out of the water, whereas my other races, T1 started timing you right when you entered transition area. no biggie.

nothing
Bike
  • 1h 16m 8s
  • 25 miles
  • 19.70 mile/hr
Comments:

very pretty course. AWESOME work by NATIONAL GUARD volunteers at EVERY INTERSECTION.
passed one guy around mile 1.
got passed around mile 5 and tried to hang with him going up the long hill. heart rate went through the roof and i knew i couldnt hang with him forever so i let him go, also realizing i hade 20 more miles to go and a 10k to run yet. some other dude followed about 200 feet behind me for probably 15 miles. i would leave him on the uphills, then he would be right back again on the downhills and the flats. finally he got past me and said that he was unable to overtake me on the hills and that we had a good pace. i caught him a few times later on some other smaller hills afterwards, but he was a beast on the flats. then got passed again around mile 23 or 24.

nothing. i was pushing pretty hard. probably as much as i would have pushed on a sprint race.
Transition 2
  • 01m 15s
Comments:

a little slower than usual.

do it faster
Run
  • 48m 25s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 07m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

passed 2 guys early on. then got passed by 4 others at various stages of the course.
for not doing any bricks, i felt really good. although i dont think im going to drink Powerade during a race anymore. i was getting side stitches on the run and would burp to feel better and they were all powerade burps. i never got that with Gatorade.
my legs were really comfortable for the whole run and i would imagine that i ran negative splits. the further i got in the course the smoother things got. then near the finish i was able to sprint the last 100 yards or so for a strong finish.

no powerade on the bike.
figure out how to drink water while running.
most of it ran all over my face, choked on the rest, and even tried to throw some on my head and that managed to fly straight over my head. yes, im graceful.
Post race
Warm down:

guzzled some gatorade and water. ate a monster burrito and 3 big cookies.
hugged my wife and thanked her for all her support, even though its been a little tough for her lately.
waited for Scott to congratulate him and get his thought on his forst Olympic performance.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

nothing. i felt like i raced hard and paced it smart.

Event comments:

this was my first Oly.
the volunteer staffing for this was the best ive seen. people everywhere.
plus, the job these guys had to do was a large one. Rt.11 had a nasty accident saturday night and was closed, so traffic was diverted into Sunbury onto the tiny 2 lane front street. which also happened to be under construction. so not only did they have to stop and direct traffic for us racers, but also had a hige increase in volume due to Rt 11 being closed.
post race food was the bomb. AG trophy is cool, an old 45 record on an oak base. plus a finishers medal.
really, this was a great event. the RD and all those involved were very passionate about making this a great race. and they succeeded in my book.
i like this distance too. get to go longer at a pretty hard pace.
I'm signing up next year.

Last updated: 2010-07-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:20 | 1584 yards | 01m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/10
Overall: 13/100
Performance: Average
Suit: Xterra vortex full
Course: rectangular swim in River. leaving the boat ramp, swim downstream, across, back upstream and beyond start point, across again, and back down to finish.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:20
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:16:08 | 25 miles | 19.70 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/10
Overall: 20/100
Wind: Little
Course: round abouts the hills around sunbury.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:15
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:48:25 | 06.2 miles | 07m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/10
Overall: 30/100
Course: throughout town streets. pretty flat, slightly rolling.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes