General Discussion Race Reports! » Chicago Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Chicago Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Chicago, Illinois
United States
Capri Events
73F / 23C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 02m 9s
Overall Rank = 1314/3859
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 186/396
Pre-race routine:

Not much here in the routine. I woke up at 3:15 am packed the car and headed off to the race Stopped at the 7 eleven to grab food before the race. Gatorade, snackables, etc. I wanted to make sure that i was hydrated before i headed to the race. 45 minute drive and I was downtown. Parking was a snap and off to setup transition @ about 5 am. Setup my transition area and walked over to thee swim start. It was a little strange for me as the wife and kids stayed home this year as we were double booked today.
Event warmup:

There was no real warmup for Chicago. Tried to stay comfortable and cool. Slept a little, but did not want to really sleep as I probley would have missed my start time or felt like crap. The hour and a half wait went by pretty quickly (wave 26)
Swim
  • 29m 58s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was better then expected. Swam the same time as last year fully trained.
What would you do differently?:

I would come into the race trained. I had mismanaged my summer with vacations, work and family all contributing to the chaos. My wife and I spoke about the summer next year and will be limiting the vacations, travel and races.
Transition 1
  • 00m

I need ot be able to find my equipment better. This is the second race in a row where I had trouble finding my stuff.
Bike
  • 1h 14m 9s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.11 mile/hr
Comments:

The heat started to get to me at the end of the second loop and was struggling to keep the pace that I wanted. Drank two gatorade puoches and a full bottle of water on the course. I do not think it was nutrition as it was core temp.

Come into the race trained. I thought that I did very well here. I improved my average pace by 1.5 mph.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Trouble finding my stuff again. Arrgh

Ummm find my stuff
Run
  • 1h 12m 13s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 11m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

This was almost a death march. There was a few moments that I was going to call it a day. It was close, but I did not want to tell everyone that I could not finish this race.

I am not sure waht I could have done differently. I weigh over 200 lbs and heat has always affected my performance. I am sure that if I had trained properly and raced at the weight that I wanted to be I would have faiered much better.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked through the finish shoot and straight for the ICE towels and walked right out and to the transition area. HOT HOT HOT. It was absolutley miserable out there.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The heat and my training.

Last updated: 2010-01-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:58 | 1640 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/396
Overall: 490/3859
Performance: Good
This time includes a quarter mile run from the finish to transition. My watch had 27 ish minutes which was about 7 minutes off my PR for the swim. Yep, this was a tough one this year. I placed myself with my agegroup instead of Clydes this year. I was supposed to be under 200 lbs at race time. Though it did not happen. ANYWAY. It was very crowded and took a couple of kicks to the face bumped. I had to swim over a couple of people. I did have to physically move someone as I was inbetween to swimmers who were kicking and running into me. I swam to the outside and got clear. The water was smooth (as could be with hundreds of swimmers) until the last 400 yards as swells were coming in off the lake. I felt like this was a good time considering the traffic and not swimming for about two months.
Suit: Orca
Course: Head south towards the museum campus and the planetarium for 440 yards, turn around and finish heading north to the yacht club. The first two hundred yards is a fight and the turnaround at the bouy is crowded. Did not find open water until after the swim start heading back.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:14:09 | 24.85 miles | 20.11 mile/hr
Overall: 1090/3859
Performance: Good
This was a good effort. The rodas were a little rough. Not so much stuff out in the road this year.
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: two loop course heading from the ramp at Randolph all teh way to Foster Ave. I though the course was not too crowded, did a lot of passing and was passed a lot myself.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:12:13 | 06.21 miles | 11m 38s  min/mile
Overall: 2267/3859
Performance: Below average
I had to slow and use a walk run. IT WAS HOT. Heart rate would go up and down. I knew I was in trouble when I got chills every once in a while out ther in the heat.
Course: Closed course in the Museaum campus. Headed from the yacht club to the planetarium passed McCormick place to the turnaround in some bird sanctuary.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-08-30 10:25 AM

User image

Expert
Lake in the Hills
Subject: Chicago Triathlon - Olympic Distance
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chicago Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed