United States
Set-Up, Inc.
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 48m 44s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 6/10
Pre-race routine:

Stayed in a cabin near the race site. Woke up in the dark and fumbled around trying to get my stuff together without waking the hubby. He dropped me off at the race site and went back for more sleep.
Event warmup:

None, I consider they swim my warm up :).
Swim
  • 37m 37s
  • 1600 meters
  • 02m 21s / 100 meters
Comments:

Felt great for the whole swim. I swear it flew by. I love swimming in the lake there, it's clear enough you can see people swimming near you.
Transition 1
  • 02m 53s
Comments:

What's to say? No wetsuit so that made transition pretty easy.
Bike
  • 1h 53m 31s
  • 41 kms
  • 21.67 km/hr
Comments:

I found this to be even more challenging this year thanks to a strong headwind. I didn't even realize how bad it was until I did the sprint the next day and felt the difference. The headwind seemed to hit during all the false flats which made it even more difficult for me. Uphills are already my nemesis. On a plus side I got over 40 mph on the first big down hill, wow was that fun.
What would you do differently?:

Not sure what I could've done differently, I worked my ass off. I would've like to have gotten a better time, but at some point "try harder" just doesn't cut it.
Transition 2
  • 03m 18s
Comments:

I was really exhausted from that bike ride, I took my time in transition, trying to figure out if I could even do the run (never mind the fact I'd signed up for the Double and had the Sprint the next day).
Run
  • 1h 11m 26s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 11m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

I can't believe how much I had to walk on that second loop. I was just so exhausted from the bike ride. Also, it felt like the way back had a greater number of uphills, which is also where the head wind was hitting.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Overall I was pretty unhappy with my race. I found it challenging in a way that surprised me (and I did the sprint last year so I wasn't blind going into it). I was miserable for a good part of the race, and I don't do these things to be miserable, I do them to have a good time, maybe push my athletic abilities a bit. By the end of the race I was seriously questioning if I should be participating at all.

I'm sure if I'd gotten more sleep the week before and had a low-key week at work instead of the insanity I had things would've felt better. But that's hard to control.

Event comments:

I was really disappointed that the Athenas went almost last this year. For the most part bigger athletes mean slower times so to put us last meant a really sparse run course. Totally demoralizing. Having crowds and group energy is one of the things I like most about a race. It was so late by the time I got to the run they were actually picking up the volunteers from the course (and yes, it was way before the official course closing time). I liked it better last year when we were in the second wave.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-06-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:37 | 1600 meters | 02m 21s / 100meters
Age Group: 5/10
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Water was super warm, way warmer then the air. It felt wonderful. Course was a bit confusing at first. I had to have it explained to me about 6 times before I got it. They kept explaining it as a "W" which was completely inaccurate. Basically you swam counter clockwise around the lake about 3/4 of the way, then made a big V towards the left and then back to shore. Another participant explained it as a "Pacman" and I think that's pretty accurate.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:53
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:53:31 | 41 kms | 21.67 km/hr
Age Group: 6/10
Performance: Below average
Wind: Headwind
Course: Course is challenging, to say the least. There's pretty much no flat, you're either on a rolling hill, a giant hill or a false flat at any given time.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 03:18
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:11:26 | 06.2 miles | 11m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/10
Performance: Below average
Course: Two loop out and back course with varying hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?