Luray, Virginia
United States
Set Up Events
Total Time = 2h 14m 6s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 8/12
Pre-race routine:

I went into this race not knowing if I'd be able to finish. I signed up for the Luray Double so I had done the Olympic distance the day before and found it incredibly hard. I was worried about the hills on the bike and just falling over before I could make it up. Needless to say, I did the race, and got just about the same splits as the OLY the day before, and 2 minutes faster then the sprint the year before. Ha! Guess whining does work once in awhile :).
Swim
  • 19m
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 32s / 100 meters
Comments:

I was surprised that my ranking was as low as it was, swimming is my best of the 3 events. Just goes to show how tired I was from the day before. Still, nothing flushes out my muscles better then a good swim. Oh I do recall walking when I got out instead of running, I know I lost a good minute there according to my watch, so my split would've been faster I guess.
What would you do differently?:

Run from the water across the timing mat. I was too tired from the day before to muster it though. I wouldn't even say I "walked", more like ambled.
Transition 1
  • 04m 34s
Comments:

The ambling continued through transition. Whereas the day before I was running to my stuff, rushing around and running with my bike, I took my time. I knew my goal at this point was just to finish and try to regain some joy in racing.
Bike
  • 1h 15m 36s
  • 16.9 miles
  • 13.41 mile/hr
Comments:

My bike started to go all wonky on me, it wouldn't get into the smaller gears easily and when it did it the chain was hitting against something. That meant I had to make do with the middle gears more then I would've liked. I was SO glad to feel what it was like to do the course without that wind. Wow did it feel way easier, even on tire legs!

Nothing that I could control. If the course had been dry I'm sure I'd have gotten a better split, but safety comes first.
Transition 2
  • 02m 26s
Comments:

I redefined ambling, if you thought I couldn't move any slower, well you'd be wrong. I was actually chit chatting with the people in transition who were done with their race. But at this point I was feeling good again about triathlons, and much less doomsday then the day before.

Nothing, my tired body needed to amble, I have no regrets :).
Run
  • 32m 32s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

Well as much as I was worried about this race I only walked a tiny bit on this run (and pretty much everyone I saw walked up the one big hill so I didn't feel too badly about it). I can't believe I was at a 10:28 pace after all I'd put my body through the day before and that bike ride a second time.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Doing the Olympic the day before.

Event comments:

I really appreciated the volunteers who were on the bike course at the top of that giant hill. I remember people there last year and it was so nice to have someone cheering for you climbing up that monster. Nobody was there the day before at the Olympic at I missed it!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-06-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:00 | 750 meters | 02m 32s / 100meters
Age Group: 10/12
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Water was warm, again no wetsuits allowed. Course was a basic box type shape in a clear (for freshwater at least) lake.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:34
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:15:36 | 16.9 miles | 13.41 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/12
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Hilly course! Like I said in my OLY review there is pretty much no flat, either rolling hills, big hills, or false flats. It had rained that morning, however, which meant you had to be super careful on the down hills and turns, of which there were a lot. Too bad, downhills are all I got!
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:26
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:32:32 | 03.11 miles | 10m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/12
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back course on rolling hills. The worst hill of the run is long and is shortly after the turnaround. It's a beautiful view, but it is surprisingly hard. Luckily (or unluckily) the photographer stations herself at the top of it so if you don't want to be caught walking on camera you have a good incentive to start running again.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes