General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Silly race comments from the weekend Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-08-30 12:38 PM

User image

Master
Mt Pleasant, SC
Subject: Silly race comments from the weekend
Hello

I was doing the Tri-to beat Cancer in Athens, GA.

The swim was in a lake and the run to T-1 was a up hill run on an  asphalt path. As I was trying to run and my feet were thinking I was crazy trying to run on this surface when a race volunteer yells at me. 

Your swim time does not stop until you cross the timing mat. You need to run!!!!!

First- I already know this and second you should try running bare footed up this path  and across the parking lot to get to your bike.

I was going as fast as I could and it hurt like a witch.

Of course I did not say anything but it kind of steamed me.

The race went well.

Kevin

Edited by b2673ad 2010-08-30 12:39 PM

2010-08-30 1:10 PM
in reply to: #3071490

User image

Expert
Tyrone, Georgia
Subject: RE: Silly race comments from the weekend
Did hear someone ask during a pre-race meeting if they could change clothes during transition.  Of course they were told yes but then they asked when the clock would start again.  The RD then informed them that all of the time would count.  Just had to chuckle a little.
2010-08-30 3:18 PM

User image

Sounds like something a tough coach would say. Are you sure the person was yelling at you?

For some folks, the transitions are time to catch your breath. For many, the whole thing is a race!

Cool
2010-08-30 3:54 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
I know exactly what you mean.

some of those little "runs" from the swim to transition can be difficult - rough asphalt, weeds, rocks, glass, bottle caps, you name it !!
2010-08-30 4:59 PM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
My favorite was yelled at me last year during the run to T1 at a half iron: 
"The hard part's over!"

I smiled at her and yelled back:
"You've never done one of these have you?" 
2010-08-30 5:29 PM
in reply to: #3072148

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
marmadaddy - 2010-08-30 5:59 PM My favorite was yelled at me last year during the run to T1 at a half iron: 
"The hard part's over!"

I smiled at her and yelled back:
"You've never done one of these have you?" 

x10!

To OP:  The comment (in OP) is a little obnoxious, IMO, but probably meant with good intentions (i.e., to encourage you to go hard).

2010-08-30 5:53 PM

User image

Master
Westlake Village , Ca.
I always joke around on the course. My tri this last weekend had a 10 mile run. When I ran out of T2 I yelled to the two volunteers, "Only a 5K left now..."

The first guy laughed and the second guy freaked and yelled "NO....IT'S 10 MILES!"

I about fell over laughing. The guy was dead serious. His buddy walked over to him after I ran by probably to tell him I was joking. Smile
2013-05-29 2:58 PM
in reply to: Fastyellow

User image

Regular
Wisconsin
Originally posted by Fastyellow

I always joke around on the course. My tri this last weekend had a 10 mile run. When I ran out of T2 I yelled to the two volunteers, "Only a 5K left now..."

The first guy laughed and the second guy freaked and yelled "NO....IT'S 10 MILES!"

I about fell over laughing. The guy was dead serious. His buddy walked over to him after I ran by probably to tell him I was joking. Smile

Ha! I like to occasionally run up to the aid stand with my hand out, yelling "Bud Light, Bud Light, Bud Light", "OK, water will do"
2013-05-29 3:04 PM
in reply to: Swimbikeron

User image

Regular
Levittown, PA
My first tri a few weeks ago the run was an out and back run. On the way out I saw a guy with his dog on a bench watching people go by. I put my hand out as I ran by and was like "TAG, YOU'RE IN........GO GO GO!!!!". He laughed. On the way back, he was still there and put his hand out as I went by and was like "TAG ME, TAG ME". This time I was the one laughing.
2013-05-29 3:29 PM
in reply to: spiderjunior

User image

Extreme Veteran
I hate to say this but the way I amuse myself during the run is to think of silly comments or encouraging things to say to people going the other way on a out and back course. I will also give the occasional high five. this keeps my mind off what I am actually doing.
2013-05-29 3:40 PM
in reply to: BuckHamilton

User image

Veteran
Cincinnati
The best ones I have seen so far.. These were also during the Flying Pig marathon.
-Chuck Norris never ran a marathon
-You pee a little bit, we drink"
-Is that a brownie in you pant's?"

2013-05-29 3:43 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by Fastyellow I always joke around on the course. My tri this last weekend had a 10 mile run. When I ran out of T2 I yelled to the two volunteers, "Only a 5K left now..."

Nice!

2013-05-29 3:43 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by Fastyellow I always joke around on the course. My tri this last weekend had a 10 mile run. When I ran out of T2 I yelled to the two volunteers, "Only a 5K left now..."

Nice!

2013-05-29 3:55 PM
in reply to: b2673ad

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA
One nice part about Wildflower is they put the T1 timing mat right at the edge of the water so your swim time is just the swim and doesn't include the long run up the boat ramp to the transition area.
2013-05-29 4:29 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Veteran
Denver area
A loooong time ago, I did the Danskin Tri in Austin. The run was hot and I was walking through an aid station, where volunteers said "there's cake and ice cream at the finish!!". I looked at them and said something about that sounding really gross. They then said there was also cookies.

I got to the finish and there was no cake/cookies/ice cream. Apparently those volunteers thought I'd be motivated by thinking those items would be there.

Really, the whole race was too much "support your sister" for my tastes, but those comments were pretty ridiculous.
2013-05-29 10:16 PM

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
Originally posted by Fastyellow

Last year during a HIM it was about 100 degrees on the run. When I got to the turnaround point, I asked one of the volunteers at the aid station if they had any coffee? He started to go to the truck to get his own personal thermos, before I let him know I was joking and some ice water would do just fine!

2013-05-29 11:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Tempe, Arizona
Yes, I've occasionally come across some aggressive shouting volunteers, but they only want to egg you on, so I don't take it personally.

I'm always coming up with crazy comments during triathlons, as I like to laugh, joke, and have fun.

Coming up to 2 mile water station on the run of sprint triathlon, and I call out my drinking preferences "Water please, ice, or hugs. I'm not fussy". I got all 3!

First Olympic triathlon in September at Tempe, AZ last year. I've just finished the first 5k loop of the 10k run course, and run up to the split for the 2nd loop/finish line. It's 101°F, with no shade or breeze on the run course, and I pass a bunch of spectators at the split and say "This way to Hell part 2". I got lots of laughs and cheers.

Halfway around the 2nd loop of "Hell part 2", and I'm sticking ice in my visor, the pockets of my tri-shorts, my bra, and then I put 3 ice cubes inside my tri-shorts. I pass by a struggling guy who's also got a cup of ice, and my comment to him is "one tip, don't put more than 1 ice cube down your shorts at once - they jiggle around where they shouldn't". He stopped running he was laughing so hard.
2013-05-30 5:26 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
I bet the volunteer just tried to be helpful and encourage you. Yes, I probably came out a bit wrong, but in general, people around triathlons are really nice and only trying to help.

Transitions out of water to T1 over gravel, parking lots, etc. are quite common. If you take baby steps and land on your forefoot, then it really doesn't hurt
2013-05-30 6:24 AM

User image

Every aid station I come to I ask

"Lithium? Thorazine? Flexeril? Tequila?"

So far, I've gotten one offer for a margarita and actually had one lady who had flexeril on her.

It amuses me and makes things quit hurting for a moment or two.

One of the things that gets on my nerves even though I wish it wouldn't is people lying to me, "You look great!" -er- no I don't. I look like hell and probably could be a poster child for the definition of grimace in the dictionary. Be honest, "You look like HELL! but you're gonna make it!" that would get me going

2013-05-30 9:09 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by DanielG

One of the things that gets on my nerves even though I wish it wouldn't is people lying to me, "You look great!" -er- no I don't. I look like hell and probably could be a poster child for the definition of grimace in the dictionary. Be honest, "You look like HELL! but you're gonna make it!" that would get me going

I was thinking this exact same thing this past weekend. I was finishing up the Mountains of Misery century ride, where the last 4 miles are all up a steep grade, and a volunteer yelled out to me, "you're looking good" about a quarter mile from the finish line. I responded with, "quit lying to me!"

p.s. Just noticed this is post # 1,0000 for me. Man, I've wasted a lot of work time on this board!

Edited by Patrick E 2013-05-30 9:10 AM
2013-05-30 10:47 AM
in reply to: Patrick E

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho
I was DEAD FREAKIN LAST once coming out of the water. T1 looked like a ghost town with my bike sitting all lonely in the rack by itself.   I ran up to a volunteer waving my arms shouting "Which bike is MINE?".  She whipped around like she was going to help me look and just then she got the joke...."You little sh*T," she laughed as I ran off.  (BTW-I did not finish DFL)

2013-05-30 11:13 AM
in reply to: jeffnboise

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
I'm a comment during the race kind of guy, I like to think of it as a way to judge my mental state. If I stop making comments, I know I'm starting to loose it. At the NOLA 70.3 the exit to the run was adjacent to the last turn of the bike leg. As I was heading out on the run I see two signs, the first for the bike just said SLOW , the one for the run said "runners to the right". I asked the volunteer was it really necessary to have signs saying SLOW runners to the right? I don't think he got it, however I did hear a few laughs from some spectators.
2013-05-30 11:39 AM
in reply to: jeffnboise

User image

Veteran
Maple Grove
Originally posted by jeffnboise

I was DEAD FREAKIN LAST once coming out of the water. T1 looked like a ghost town with my bike sitting all lonely in the rack by itself.   I ran up to a volunteer waving my arms shouting "Which bike is MINE?".  She whipped around like she was going to help me look and just then she got the joke...."You little sh*T," she laughed as I ran off.  (BTW-I did not finish DFL)

Now that's funny. I laughed out loud.
2013-05-30 12:22 PM
in reply to: rdailey1

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
This wasn't in a Tri, but my first marathon a few months ago. I was right at mile 24, climbing this BIG A** hill and I saw my sister holding a sign that said, "Run faster. The buzzards are circling."

It was exactly what I needed to see at that point.
2013-05-30 6:29 PM

User image

New user
Athens, GA
Originally posted by b2673ad

Hello

I was doing the Tri-to beat Cancer in Athens, GA.

The swim was in a lake and the run to T-1 was a up hill run on an  asphalt path. As I was trying to run and my feet were thinking I was crazy trying to run on this surface when a race volunteer yells at me. 

Your swim time does not stop until you cross the timing mat. You need to run!!!!!

First- I already know this and second you should try running bare footed up this path  and across the parking lot to get to your bike.

I was going as fast as I could and it hurt like a witch.

Of course I did not say anything but it kind of steamed me.

The race went well.

Kevin

It's funny that this thread should have been bumped, because I was just at Sandy Creek Park today with my kids and I was walking the paths thinking, "Dang, I'd forgotten how rough these stupid paths are, that run up from T1 last summer was a PITA!"

I ran a 10K recently where a volunteer shouted "It's all downhill from here!" It was not. That's the type of thing you should only shout if you know it's the truth, yo.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Silly race comments from the weekend Rss Feed  

of 2