Sun Multisport Events
95F / 35C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 18m 5s
Overall Rank = 512/636
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 37/40
Pre-race routine:

Went down to the course on Sat to ride and swim the course with Lisa and Marianne. Got registered but didn't go to dinner. It's been a crazy week and needed to get back home. Got some lake water up my nose and have pretty much had a cold since then. Sort of felt like crap on race morning, but headed down anyway.
Event warmup:

Not much. Ran into most of the BT crew. I was in the 6th wave so waited around 30 minutes to go off.
Swim
  • 31m 11s
  • 1586 yards
  • 01m 58s / 100 yards
Comments:

I didn't go with the wetsuit. On the boarder of being too warm, but I find it too constricting. I actually felt good with this swim. I had to stop about 6 times in the first 500 yds because my goggles wouldn't stop leaking. Once I got going, I actually passed a bunch of people, and did some drafting. Probably could have gone a bit faster.
What would you do differently?:

Practice sighting. I just followed feet, which weren't always going straight.
Transition 1
  • 04m 19s
Comments:

I actually ran from the water to my bike. I have never done that before. I am usually pretty winded after the swim. I still took too long here.

Hurry up.
Bike
  • 1h 28m 27s
  • 26.3 miles
  • 17.84 mile/hr
Comments:

I went out too hard. I felt it in my legs after 10 miles or so. I basically did the same speed the day before with stopping and just easy spinning. I didn't have anything left in my legs. I wonder if I didn't eat enough in the morning. I did pass some people, but still got passed by a bunch of people.

Go out a bit easier.
Transition 2
  • 04m 11s
Comments:

Stopped and kissed the kids. I have to change socks because I get blisters. Took a bit of time. Also, someone was racked in my spot. Saw almost everyone coming down the shoot, John, Marianne, Al, Lisa, Rudy, the Grave kids, my family. It was fun.
Run
  • 1h 10m
  • 6.2 miles
  • 11m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

Because I pushed so hard on the bike, but left quad was killing me. I ran the first mile, walked the next .5 or so then ran to mile 3, walked a bit more, ran to mile 5, walked and ran to mile 6, then ran the rest of the way after the last little hill. Wasn't too bad. I think Kathy is right when she said it's not my run fitness that slows me down, it's my bike fitness and pacing.

Go a bit easier on the bike and maybe start taking some salt tablets. I sweat a lot.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed my medal and water bottle. Sat with Kathy for a bit. Found the family, got my wedding ring back from Lisa, got some food, ate, found some BTers and went home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This was more of a training day than a race, but I sort of got caught up in the bike. This has also been my biggest training month ever, going over 300 miles for the month yesterday, plus being a bit under the weather. I did do 20 min faster than 2 years ago with the bike course being about 2 miles longer. So I am happy overall.

Event comments:

This is a great race with great volunteers and lots of crowd support. I didn't to it last year, but will try and make it a point to come and at least volunteer if I can't participate in the future. It's always good seeing all my BT friends. I don't understand why everyone needs to join a tri club when we have our own BT club.

Last updated: 2010-05-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:11 | 1586 yards | 01m 58s / 100yards
Age Group: 28/40
Overall: 437/636
Performance: Good
Suit: None
Course: Outer loop of Loon Pond.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:19
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:28:27 | 26.3 miles | 17.84 mile/hr
Age Group: 36/40
Overall: 453/636
Performance: Average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: New 26.3 loop. Mostly downhill.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:11
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:10:00 | 06.2 miles | 11m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 39/40
Overall: 544/636
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-08-30 12:41 PM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma
Subject: Cranberry Trifest

2010-08-30 1:21 PM
in reply to: #3071503

User image

Expert
Weymouth, MA
Subject: RE: Cranberry Trifest
"I did do 20 min faster than 2 years ago with the bike course being about 2 miles longer. So I am happy overall."

That's pretty freaking impressive for an under the weather training day!  Congrats buddy.  And like you said to Colin - time to find some hills!  Actually repeats at Blue Hill is pretty great.  Easy parking and the steepest one mile hill you'll find anywhere close by.
2010-08-30 1:21 PM

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
You are right about the BT club- a very supportive bunch whether racing or volunteering.  Glad you could make it! Nice job lowering your time from last time esp given the bike being longer!
2010-08-30 3:43 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Great job outhtere I hope you had a good time

2010-08-30 4:01 PM

User image

Pro
MA
Why didn't anyone see me at all during the race??  Like I am not part of the BT crew??

Rob saw everyone at the swim exit (and named them in his race report) but me. He didn't hear me calling his name. 
Rori didn't even feel my punch on his arm. 
I baked under the sun at the finish line handing out water bottles and taking off timing chips from you racers' feet and you guys think I was transparent.  You named everyone but me.  Wahhhhhhhhh!

I am so done with you guys.  *akjaokajh*  (that is screen equivalence of blowing raspberries)

2010-08-30 6:43 PM

User image

New user

Hey Man,
Great job out there yesterday!
You're a brave man doing basically the whole course the day before the race!!
I would have been toast if I did that!
It was cool meeting you. Hopefully we'll get a chance to get in some
riding/training together. 

2010-08-30 7:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Medway, MA
Hey Josh; Congrats! You did great out there, considering all the factors leading up to the race, and having to keep your eye on IMAZ!! Keep on trucking! :-)
2010-09-03 8:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Great job Josh..just so you know... its usually me cramping up on the run...so since our bike and swim splits are almost identical (although I was wearing a wetsuit and you weren't) maybe we'll be doing a 26.2 together!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cranberry Trifest Rss Feed