General Discussion Race Reports! » Subaru East Coast 1/2 Iron triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Subaru East Coast 1/2 Iron triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Fredericton, New Brunswick
Canada
30C / 86F
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 49m 36s
Overall Rank = 8/36
Age Group = M30-39
Age Group Rank = 5/9
Pre-race routine:

Stayed at the hotel where the race was taking place which was fantastic! Checkin was from 6:30-7:30 and the race was starting at 9 so I got up at 6, had some coffee and cereal and then wandered down to register and claim my spot in transition. It was very relaxing to not have to worry about checking out of the hotel and driving there etc.
Event warmup:

Not much, a very short swim. Walked around a fair bit that warmed me up a bit I guess.
Swim
  • 22m 36s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 31s / 100 meters
Comments:

Took things pretty easy really, I just focused on staying smooth and efficient and not tiring out. Went hard for about 50m to make sure I didn't get caught up with anyone, I was on my own pretty quickly. When I got to the second buoy, I took a look to my left to see where everyone else was - I had to do a double take because there was no one anywhere near me - I was probablya minute or two ahead of 2nd place. From there, I just held a good steady pace. By the time I got to the finish, I had a 4 minute lead on 2nd place!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Transition 1
  • 02m 54s
Comments:

Most of that time is spent on a long uphill run from the water to the transition area. It was the 5th best T1 time and only 9 seconds slower than the fastest so not much I could have done better.

Nothing
Bike
  • 1h 25m 9s
  • 44 kms
  • 31.00 km/hr
Comments:

Tried to keep my effort level under control. I wasn't really properly trained for this like I would have liked especially the run so I wanted to make sure I didn't kill myself on the bike. The hills were tough but I just spun up them at a comfortably hard effort level and tried to take advantage of the downhills as much as possible.

I was in the race lead until about the 17.5km mark when one guy blew by me on one of the hills. Didn't see any other Olympic'ers until the 25k mark.

Nothing given the training level I was at. Very happy with this ride.
Transition 2
  • 00m 40s
Comments:

4th best T2 time so happy with it again. Missed the rack the first time I put the bike up and took an extra few seconds getting my shoes on so I could have saved a few seconds there but really happy overall.

Don't miss the rack?
Run
  • 58m 19s
  • 10.5 kms
  • 05m 33s  min/km
Comments:

Wow, it got hot! I actually felt really good for the first 3k and I was thinking that my pace on the bike was going to work out really well. Then I started going back up the hill on the way back in and it fell apart on me. They were handing out ice sponges at the aid stations and I was taking all I could get! I had to stop and walk about 10 times for probably 15-30 seconds.

Run more in training!
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

The heat and not enough training

Event comments:

This was a great race and well organized! I hope to do it again next year. As hilly and hard as the course was, I still enjoyed it.

Last updated: 2010-08-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:36 | 1500 meters | 01m 31s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/9
Overall: 1/36
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: One loop of a counter clockwise rectangle.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 22C / 72F Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:54
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:25:09 | 44 kms | 31.00 km/hr
Age Group: 0/9
Overall: 10/36
Wind: Little
Course: Two loops of an out and back. Hilly!!! My garmin says 3000' of climbing over the two loops.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:40
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:58:19 | 10.5 kms | 05m 33s  min/km
Age Group: 0/9
Overall: 18/36
Performance: Average
Course: Two loops of a hilly course. All on paved roads
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-08-30 3:04 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: Subaru East Coast 1/2 Iron triathlon

2010-09-01 7:09 AM
in reply to: #3071894

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lunenburg, Nova Scotia
Subject: RE: Subaru East Coast 1/2 Iron triathlon
Nice race!  3000' of climbing?!  I was wondering how much it actually was.  I had trouble even maintaining my 22km/hr.  I can't wait to average 30 one day.  I was barely moving on the uphill sections.
2010-09-01 11:27 AM
in reply to: #3071894

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Brunswick, Canada
Subject: RE: Subaru East Coast 1/2 Iron triathlon

Congrats!! I volunteered at the event and could only marvel at the determination shown by all the participants on such a hot humid day. Well done!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Subaru East Coast 1/2 Iron triathlon Rss Feed