Sun Multisport Events
83F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 39m 56s
Overall Rank = 265/341
Age Group = Clyd
Age Group Rank = 12/17
Pre-race routine:

Well, I started with the usual insomnia before the race. Got up at 3:30 to pick up DK. Nice ride as always, and I enjoy the company.Got on site just about 6 AM, right on time. Parked, grabbed my gear with DK and hit packet pickup. It is good to be early. No lines and decent parking :)

I went to set up as DK went to volunteer. This time I was certain to make sure my transition would be set up correctly. Wore my BT top and Trifury bottoms. I ended up with the opportunity to meet CFG and KaBurns as they came over to introduce themselves. Always nice to chat with BTers and put faces to screen names.

This weekend had one goal, cross the finish line at both races with good photo opps. This was a planned A race, but 5 of the last 6 weeks of bronchitis will put an end to A racing really fast.
Event warmup:

Gasbag, what else.
Swim
  • 17m 50s
  • 880 yards
  • 02m 02s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started off pretty well. Quickly lost my breath. It normally takes me about 3 swims to get my rhythm and cardio back to swim well after a long break. By the first buoy I was doing the breast stroke and breathing every stroke when doing the freestyle stoke. My only thoughts were you can get through this and tomorrow is going to SUCK!

This is one time being seeded in the last wave had a huge upside, I did not have to worry about being overtaken from behind.
Transition 1
  • 03m 38s
Comments:

This race has a decent climb out of the water and a fair jog to the bike racks. Anytime I can pull off a decent transition time here is a plus. This was a very rare occasion to have heal issues on my QR suit. I chose it because it is the biggest suit I own and a sleeveless. I went into this race feeling heavy and did not want to have issues with any of my other suits not fitting right. I guess you could consider this suit my binky of suits.

Bike
  • 42m 56s
  • 11.5 miles
  • 16.07 mile/hr
Comments:

I knew heading out on the bike that I would have to hold back for at least the first lap. I had no idea how my body would respond with so little training. First lap set up hills were a little slow. At no point would I actually be racing, so this was fine. Second lap was a little stronger effort.

The biggest thing for me was finding the flatter sections of the course and getting into a nice spin. The whole race was about finding the good form I have developed on the CompuTrainer. I am not sure I would have done this well without the lessons I have learned from the CT.
Transition 2
  • 03m 12s
Comments:

The running shoes was a different issue than usual. I opted to do something I had been thinking about all summer, race with VFFs. I only made my final decision on this as I reached for my shoes. The Five fingers are much harder to put on when your feet are wet, so I scrubbed some time there. The worst part was, as I left T2, I realized I had forgotten my hat. I could deal with that. A few strides later, I realized I did not have my race belt on, so back I went, scrubbing about a minute of time from my transition. Oh well it is better to get the belt that close to transition than miss it.
What would you do differently?:

Not leave transition without extra gear. The VFFs have a risk reward in racing, so I think that is kind of a game time decision for me.
Run
  • 32m 23s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 27s  min/mile
Comments:

I chose the VFFs to try and keep my form honest. I have learned that I can not cheat on my form in them. When my hips start to drop back, I can feel the extra shock in my body. Plus when climbing, I can get up on my toes better.

This course was quite nice and just what I needed. I really enjoyed this, which is very different for most of my runs. I was actually passing people. I ended up swapping positions with a nice lady as she had some lace issues and we kept passing each other. Towards the end of the race, I had put a little distance on her. As we entered the Ted Williams camp, I could tell she was closing in. Since I had saved some for a good finish line photo, I was able to put on a really good push and actually race to the finish. We both congratulated each other in the finish corral. It has been a long time since I have come out ahead in a finish line sprint.

The best part of the race for me was no walk breaks. I so wanted to, but I kept telling myself this is only a 5k. I credit the VFFs for helping keep my form and keeping my run ergonomically.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a water bottle, a 1/2 bagel. Went to packet pickup only to find out I needed to wait until later for someone to be there.

Event comments:

This is always my favorite race of the year. I can not say enough about Eric, Mark and his crew. They have managed to put together a marque event year after year. Not quite sure how they do it, but it is all good in my book.

The weather was fabulous, sure beat the tropical storm wash out last year. The field size was good and I really like the addition of the sprint and kids Du to the weekend.

Only down side was partly due to my time issues setting up, I did not put up any tents and BT activities post race were limited. As there was no BBQ after the race, people seemed to leave a little quicker than after the oly dose. Can not wait until next year.

Last updated: 2010-06-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:50 | 880 yards | 02m 02s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/17
Overall: 162/341
Performance: Below average
Suit: QR sleeveless
Course: Square, 1/2 lake, counterclockwise.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:38
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:42:56 | 11.5 miles | 16.07 mile/hr
Overall: 261/341
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: This is the oly run course backwards, twice.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:12
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:32:23 | 03.1 miles | 10m 27s  min/mile
Overall: 279/341
Performance: Average
Course: Winding little course with a decent climb in it. I had not previewed it, so it was interesting.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-08-30 6:44 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids
Subject: Cranberry Trifest

2010-08-30 6:55 PM
in reply to: #3072306

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Cranberry Trifest

that was a darn speedy run joe.....FOCUS.    Great to see you as always

2010-08-31 11:53 AM

User image

Dracut
Great job, and interesting race report.  It was a pleasure to meet you.  Yes, I joined Trifury in July after seeing so many of the Trifury crowd at every race I was at.   I have to get better swimming, it can get discouraging reading everyone's swim summary about how they were dying and had to breast stroke, etc, only to see they had a better time than me.   Just kidding, I'm still happy to just finish.
Take care and see you around. 
2010-08-31 12:55 PM

User image

Pro
MA
First, sorry about the wait in the morning - when the phone rang I was like "why the heck is Joe calling me so early?"
And I set a record of 7 minutes from stumbling out of bed to getting out of house. With cleaning up, feeding cat, cleaning cat litter and making sure I have everything for the weekend in between. 

Great race Joe.  I was a bit worry about your lingering bronchitis.  But you seemed fine on the drive down to race site.  Glad you had a good weekend, with 2 races back to back. 

2010-08-31 6:52 PM

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
Great meeting you on Saturday morning (and thanks for helping me re-assemble the bike rack).

You're far braver than me, wearing the vibrams in the race.  Someday, if I can learn to get them on quickly.
2010-08-31 6:52 PM

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
Great meeting you on Saturday morning (and thanks for helping me re-assemble the bike rack).

You're far braver than me, wearing the vibrams in the race.  Someday, if I can learn to get them on quickly.

2010-09-01 7:19 PM

User image

Regular
Billerica
Nice Job! I was worried you would struggle being sick the past few week but You made a great day out of it.
2010-09-01 9:09 PM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

Nice job Joe.  It was nice meeting you.  Like Steve, I was also a bit concern given your injuries of late, but you pulled it out.  Here's to having a healthy 2011 season.  

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cranberry Trifest Rss Feed