Wichita Falls Bicycle Club
94F / 34C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 01m
Overall Rank = n/a/13000+
Age Group = n/a
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Stayed at the downtown Y with 360 other people... our group was in one of the racquet ball courts.. Wandered down and watch the mens crit and packet pick up and then out to dinner On the Border - maybe not the best choice... Worked on bikes a bit and then sleep... lights came on at 4:30 AM, get up and hit the bathroom, get some breakfast and kinda hang out until 6:30. Headed down to starting area
Event warmup:

Rode bike down to the start line.
Bike
  • 6h 01m
  • 102 miles
  • 16.95 mile/hr
Comments:

Rode really hard for the first 32 miles (3rd rest stop) Probably was averaging 22mph or so to that point. Turned to the east and caught a cross/head wind at about 45-60 degrees. Kept powering through - speed slowed considerably. Caught in with a nice group and spun it back up to 20 for quite a few miles before it broke apart. Hydration and food on track through 70 miles. Decided to hit most of the last rest stops as I was drinking over a bottle every 30 minutes or so. Hit the wall at little past 80 -leg muscles starting to cramp - first the abducters / adducters and then some quad action - finally had the full hammy lock-up and had to do the standing in the pedals stretch and coast for a while. Only option was pedal it out! After the last rest stop, I was able to kick it up a bit and dialed it up back up to 19ish mph; however, in the last couple of miles there was one last bridge that finished off my legs... kept turning the legs over, but there was not much left as I crossed the finish line.
What would you do differently?:

A little more nutrition on the back half of the ride and put a little more effort into long distance training. Real happy considering longest ride this year was 63 miles or so a few weeks before the ride.

Thank goodness the heat came down about 10 degrees in the last week or this would ride would have been a whole different type of ride...
Post race
Warm down:

None really, grabbed some drinks, hung out at the finish and ran into some people that I knew. Rode bike several blocks back to the Y and cleaned up.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

More long distance rides...

Event comments:

Overall the event was great. The only problem was lack of a good "aid station" at the end of the ride. Most other rides I have been on have some food and whatnot out at the end, here there was only water and powerade - everything else was carnival food.

Last updated: 2010-07-22 12:00 AM
Biking
06:01:00 | 102 miles | 16.95 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/13000+
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Out to the west, turn to the north, long run to the west, south some and then back to lovely downtown Wichita Falls. Lots of chip seal on the west and south portions...
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right