General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need a bike fit? For both new (pre-buy) and experienced riders Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-08-31 12:04 PM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: Need a bike fit? For both new (pre-buy) and experienced riders

Obviously bike fitting is very much sacred here on BT.  You make NO moves without that bike fit.   So very serious.  I have always struggled with this because I am offered "bike fits" from the bike shop when I am buying, etc, and I hate to pay extra for something that's free (it seems).   Well - I decided I finally needed an independent bike fit in prep for buying a custom bike online.   My husband did a lot of research and kept coming back to the same person: Chris Balser.

I wasn't sure what to expect when I went for my appointment yesterday.  He works in the basement of Penn Cycle near Hopkins Crossroads, but works independently of Penn and their brands.   You can see the details here: http://www.bicyclefitguru.com/

Chris is a very interesting, polite, professional and even funny guy.  I thoroughly enjoyed the entire appointment and I watched my husband's fit and Chris invited me to look at it from his angle so I could see what he was looking at.   He adjusted my own bike, made custom shoe inserts, and also designed a bike for me based on the measurements in a bikeCAD program.  He looked up the bike I wanted to order, told me if it would work, and wrote down everything I need to select or ask about.  For my money, I also can bring back the new bike and have that fit.  He has a total satisfaction guarantee. 

He also started my husband's bike fit but when he discovered a problem with his shoes/pedals, he told him to come back (with the new shoes and pedals) and to bring another bike, since he'd already adjusted the one there and could do a second bike.  Basically, two appointments for the price of one.

There might be some politics around bike fitters, certain shops, etc.   Chris admitted this and my husband had learned this too, in his research.   I won't bash other shops, but if you'd like an indepedent thorough fit from a guy who really takes it seriously and has a LOT of experience and education, Chris is your guy.   I think that spring is his busy season, so now's the time to start thinking about it. 

Good luck!

2010-08-31 12:28 PM
in reply to: #3073675

User image

Master
, Minnesota
Subject: RE: Need a bike fit? For both new (pre-buy) and experienced riders

Great info.  Thanks Emily.

2010-08-31 1:09 PM
in reply to: #3073675

User image

Expert
St. Paul, MN
Subject: RE: Need a bike fit? For both new (pre-buy) and experienced riders
I had Chris fit my first tri bike about 3 years ago. I agree with all you said! He took his time and did his thing. He made minor tweaks until things were good.

Recently, I had my newer tri bike fit at Gear West. I think I liked the GW fitting a little more, but they were both positive experiences. (Chris's fit wasn't mind-blowingly-great if I didn't feel like I needed to go back to him with my new bike, obviously.)

Bottom line: either of these "good fits" were way better than having the random college kid at Erik's measure parts of your body and say "that'll work!"
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need a bike fit? For both new (pre-buy) and experienced riders Rss Feed