United States
Dare to Dream Events, LLC
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 56m 13s
Overall Rank = 65/167
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 8/18
Pre-race routine:

Up at 3AM as usual. Most people I talk to can't understand why I like to get to the race so early but the time really helps me to relax and focus so it works for me. Ate some toast, cottage cheese and fruit along with some coffee and grabbed water and a protein drink for the road. We loaded up the car and left about 4:15.
Event warmup:

Had to drop off my stuff at the race site and then park the car down the road about 1/2 mile. Once transition was set up put in a couple of miles on the bike. The wind was blowing pretty good so I was concerned about the bike ride and there was even a pretty decent chop on the lake. This wasn't really helping my psyche since I was very concerned about my lack of training the last 2 months (a lot of stress both in work and personal life) so I was questioning the sanity of my <3hour goal. But, here I was and all could was the best that I had in me that day.
Swim
  • 28m 3s
  • 1575 meters
  • 01m 47s / 100 meters
Comments:

It took me a minute to find a rhythm when I turned into the wind/chop but once I did it was pretty smooth sailing, although looking at my time I think I slowed down a little more than I thought. I was just unsure about how the wind was going to affect me. I also lost a little time after the final turn. Headed into the beach was directly into the sun so you could not see a thing. Just had to head into the sun and hope for the best. Ended up 5th out the water and even passed a couple of people from the elite wave ahead of me. Only got passed by one guy from the wave behind and it was right at the beach.
What would you do differently?:

Overall I was pretty happy here. I overestimated the affects of the wind a little and slowed more than I should have but I knew it was going to be a long morning. I also won't be forgetting body glide next time. I am still dealing with the chafing around my arms.
Transition 1
  • 02m 24s
Comments:

I was a little wobbly so I took my time and got my head straight for the bike.
Bike
  • 1h 26m 1s
  • 26.28 miles
  • 18.33 mile/hr
Comments:

I knew I was underprepared for this leg but I knew if I made it back to transition within 2 hours total time I would have a shot at my sub 3 hour goal. Unfortunately the wind was not going to help me with that today. The first 10 miles or so were either into the wind or dealing with crosswinds so I was struggling to stay close to 18mph goal and straight into the wind I was only holding about 15mph. Fortunatley everyone seemed to be struggling which helped me feel a little better. My spirits improved when we finally turned and had the wind at our backs. Suddenly I was able to hold 25mph on the flats and 30+ on a slight decline which was a cool feeling. Anyway, long story short I came into transition with 1:58 showing on my watch so I knew it would be close (I was pretty tired) but at least I had given myself a shot.

Need more bike time plan and simple. I am weak here and I always end up pushing hard and then I waste my legs for the run.
Transition 2
  • 01m 19s
Run
  • 58m 27s
  • 6.59 miles
  • 08m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

It was a pretty fun run course that was shared with the sprinters so there were plenty of people around. A lot of people in their front yards and a few with garden hoses which was ver nice as it was getting warm by late morning. My first lap was decent, it was tough but I was holding about 9 minute miles. The second lap was painful. I had just used up too much in the first 2.5 hours and it took everything I had to keep running but I knew if I started walking that I was done. I finally entered the park and with about 1/4 mile left my watch read 2:55, I couldn't believe it but I was going to make it.

Better bike fitness is critical along with more run training.
Post race
Warm down:

Hydrated and had a snack while talking to friends and family who had come out to watch. Loaded up and headed home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The last couple of months have been really hard for me to stay up on my training so I was not as prepared for this race as I wanted to be.

Event comments:

I am thrilled that I made my goal of under 3 hours. I really thought this race was well run and you would not have guessed that it was a first time race. The volunteers were great and the RD did a great job of working with law enforcement to direct traffic at intersections on the course. I am glad that this race is very close to home for me because I will definitely look at doing it again.

Last updated: 2010-04-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:03 | 1575 meters | 01m 47s / 100meters
Age Group: 5/18
Overall: 31/167
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Vortex 3 Sleeveless
Course: Triangle shaped course starting from the beach. Longest leg was the 2nd stretch and of course it was headed directly into the wind.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:24
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No