Gold Medal Event Management/On Hill Events
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 46m 6s
Overall Rank = 24/125
Age Group = 30-34 M
Age Group Rank = 5/18
Pre-race routine:

Wake up at 5:30 am. Get my crap together, trying not to wake up the kids and wife in the trailer... manage to do it by 6 am, and then head over to the transition area. Lots of people already in transition area... Had to get myself "registered" for the race because I wasn't in the system. Got the runaround from Milliseconds when trying to get added into the system (more on that later). Not to knock milliseconds, but I think esp. with races like this one, they don't seem to take as much of an interest in getting them right. Also to poke at the race director, it would have been nice to not have to mess with this day-of-race. I get a comp'd entry to this race every year as part of the agreement we made when we handed it off to the new race director, and I've now had to hassle with this both years I've participated.
Event warmup:

Light stretching, mental preparation for the Oly. Mostly standing on the beach watching the other participants start.
Swim
  • 31m 31s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

Felt pretty good considering I haven't swam in 7+ mos! I did notice that my arms got tired pretty fast, but I just took it easy and tried to be as efficient in the water as I could be. Made sure I just stayed calm and kept a steady breathing tempo, and it seemed to help. 2nd loop started to feel better and I was passing people :) Awesome.
What would you do differently?:

Actually train for the swim. Who knows what I could actually do if I really trained for the swim! This was actually a better swim than my last real Oly distance! Go figure.
Transition 1
  • 02m 27s
Comments:

T1 is always a bit sloppy. It's hard to get the wet wetsuit off, so I hardly try to make it fast. Then you have to wash the sand off of your feet and put socks on your wet feet. It just sucks. One highlight was that I didn't exit the water feeling winded or light headed, so I wasn't struggling with that. Felt great when I headed out on the bike, and it turns out that my T1 time wasn't too bad anyway.

Come up with a better strategy for getting into my bike gear/getting wetsuit off.
Bike
  • 1h 12m 55s
  • 26 miles
  • 21.39 mile/hr
Comments:

Started out fairly easy on the bike trying to work slowly into a good pace and not burn out too fast. By about mile 4 I was pushing about 22-23 mph and finding my groove. Then the hills came and slowed me down. I was passed by a couple of the elite guys and a couple others on the hills. Managed to catch back up with the other guys, but the elite guys dusted me. Passed the turnaround by about 1/2 mi because it wasn't well marked/no volunteer -- decided to turn around once I realized that the barricade I saw @ 12.5 was probably it. So I ended up doing about 1 extra mile. Headwind on the way back, but still managed to keep my pace fairly high, and hit some good speeds on the downhills. Avg'd about 21 for the distance overall, so I was very happy, esp. considering I had kept my HR down below 160 for the whole ride!

Maybe push a little harder. Train hills so I don't get passed on them. Turn around at the turnaround...
Transition 2
  • 01m 32s
Comments:

This seemed like a pretty good transition to me. I felt like I did a great job of getting out of my bike gear and into my running shoes and heading out.

Get better at remembering to get out of my shoes before I get to transition; getting better at unstrapping helmet while running.
Run
  • 57m 38s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

This run was lousy. Right out of the gate, I wasn't feeling it. I think it was more mental than physical. I just bonked and struggled to find the willpower to actually run like I should have. It is so difficult to find the right run cadence after the bike.

Prepare better for the 10k distance after a swim/bike. Honestly I didn't do enough real bricks in training to get myself physically and mentally ready for this. Also, my run has fallen off a little, and the speed/endurance isn't where it was earlier in the year.
Post race
Warm down:

Crossed the finish line, and then immediately went to transition area, gathered my stuff and headed over to my trailer, so I could find some recovery food/drink. There was no finish-participant gathering area after the finish... if there were bananas/oranges, I didn't find them. Very poor setup. Headed back over, did some leg stretching and waited for prelim. results. Wasn't on the list, so I asked Milliseconds why. They said it was because I wasn't "registered in the system". I had times, but no name, so they wouldn't show. They said I'd have to wait until that night for results... I asked, well how will you know whether I am an AG winner? I got a big SIGH from Noah (Milliseconds) and he reluctantly added me into the system giving me a time. Now, I know he was busy, but the timing is worthless if it isn't accurate. There were also many other discrepancies in the timing, not all Millisecond's fault, rather the result of the circumstances of the event. In any case, I didn't appreciate the unfriendliness. Esp. when I worked closely with Milliseconds in years past running THIS event...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My lack of preparation and mental willpower to push hard. I came with the attitude that I wasn't going to do that well anyway, so I might as well take it easy. Well, I just didn't want to endure the short 6 mi of pain on the run, so I walked a good portion of it. Can't really make any excuses, I just copped out.

Event comments:

This race did not go as well as it should have this year because of several factors -- new Half Ironman that added complexity to the race; rain and wind the night before; shortage of volunteers. As a result, many of the people went way too far on the bike because there were no signs/volunteers, so the results are less than accurate. Kind of takes the fun out of a race. The transition/finish area layout should have included a better post-race gathering area with food/water, and there should have been more aid stations with larger cups. I have high hopes that this race will improve in all of these areas next year to fix what happened this year. In many other areas, this race was great-- shirts were great, awards were awesome, and of course, the venue rocks. I'm also partial to this race, of course, so I'm not going to give it up just yet.

Last updated: 2010-08-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:31 | 1640 yards | 01m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 8/18
Overall: 33/125
Performance: Good
Suit: Orca Wetsuit
Course: Triangular 750m course, 2 laps, counter-clockwise.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:27
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:12:55 | 26 miles | 21.39 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/18
Overall: 125/125
Wind: Some
Course: Flat for first 5 mi, followed by mild rolling hills on the back half. Tailwind out after 2 mi, headwind back until mi 24
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:32
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:57:38 | 06.21 miles | 09m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/18
Overall: 64/125
Performance: Below average
Course: Flat two loop course on both pavement and dirt trail. Only one aid station on the course @ mi 1.5 (and 4.6 for 2nd loop). Water station had really teeny cups. Running on hwy was difficult with bikes passing on left.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2010-08-31 10:41 PM

User image

Regular
Draper, Utah
Subject: Bear Lake Brawl Triathlon

2010-09-01 2:35 PM
in reply to: #3075036

New user
Utah
Subject: RE: Bear Lake Brawl Triathlon
I know we have chatted about this, but I still liked reading your race report.  Get your run where you want it and you will place in the AG!
2010-09-06 8:52 AM
in reply to: #3075036

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah
Subject: RE: Bear Lake Brawl Triathlon

Congrats on a GREAT race!  You did well, especially considering that your training was a bit out of sync for this race.

You train right, and you'll get hardware for this race next time!

Great job!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bear Lake Brawl Triathlon Rss Feed