General Discussion Triathlon Talk » worried about the swim in my first tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-09-01 10:39 PM

User image

Connecticut
Subject: worried about the swim in my first tri
I wouldn't say that I am completely ready to take on the swim for my upcoming tri. I don't know if it's just thats i'm not confident in my swimming as I am in my bike and run, or if i'm really not ready. 

I will be wearing a wet suit, but how buoyant is a wet suit? 

My breathing is all funky where if a wave goes by when i'm in the pool i might inhale some water, I think this is what makes me worried. If i inhale some water 300 yards from shore I can't put my feet down.

I guess i'm just looking for some input from an experienced person. 

2010-09-01 10:42 PM
in reply to: #3077592

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: worried about the swim in my first tri
Everyone gets freaked out in their first OWS. And probably their second, third and fourth. Just try to keep yourself calm and flip onto your back for breaststroke if you need to get your breath back. Just don't crash into anyone.
2010-09-01 10:44 PM

User image

Elite
Spring, TX
kmonie360 - 2010-09-02 12:39 PM

I wouldn't say that I am completely ready to take on the swim for my upcoming tri. I don't know if it's just thats i'm not confident in my swimming as I am in my bike and run, or if i'm really not ready. 

My breathing is all funky where if a wave goes by when i'm in the pool i might inhale some water, I think this is what makes me worried. If i inhale some water 300 yards from shore I can't put my feet down.

Practice flipping over onto your back and floating for a while to catch your breath. Just as effective as touching hte bottom, requires no energy and can be done during a race! The panic is normal, but it's not anything to stress about if you know how to handle it.

I panicked my first race, about 150m into the 400m swim. I must have done the backstroke for most of the rest of the way, but I finished. You can to.
2010-09-01 10:47 PM

User image

Connecticut
so i'm not going to be the only one flipping onto my back?   

I guess it's a odd question but how many people in a normal race take a rest? 
2010-09-01 10:50 PM
in reply to: #3077610

User image

Expert
kmonie360 - 2010-09-01 10:47 PM so i'm not going to be the only one flipping onto my back?   

If there was an answer I could give you, my answer would still be: don't worry about what other people are doing. It's your race, your goals and your decisions. Just remember that resting in the water still requires energy to keep you afloat, so you may as well just HTFU!
2010-09-01 10:52 PM

User image

Breathe to the side, looking back a little, to prevent breathing water. But, get used to getting splashed in the face.

In the pool, practice swimming TOO fast, then float on your back to catch your breath instead of standing up. Pretend the pool has no bottom, even at the walls.

Wetsuits are buoyant enough that you can float with your arms and legs spread out without having to tread a bit.

If you have time to practice a few times in the open water, do it.

It sounds like you are mentally ready for the challenge, even if you don't know what will happen on race day.

Enjoy your first tri!

Cool

2010-09-01 10:55 PM
in reply to: #3077613

User image

Connecticut
GregInAustin - 2010-09-01 11:52 PM Breathe to the side, looking back a little, to prevent breathing water. But, get used to getting splashed in the face.

In the pool, practice swimming TOO fast, then float on your back to catch your breath instead of standing up. Pretend the pool has no bottom, even at the walls.

Wetsuits are buoyant enough that you can float with your arms and legs spread out without having to tread a bit.

If you have time to practice a few times in the open water, do it.

It sounds like you are mentally ready for the challenge, even if you don't know what will happen on race day.

Enjoy your first tri!

Cool

thanks for the wisdom and the encouragement... I've spent all my time training getting ready for this with no butterflies...

I'm about 10 days away and now i'm getting nervious 
2010-09-01 10:55 PM
in reply to: #3077610

User image

Payson, AZ
kmonie360 - 2010-09-01 8:47 PM so i'm not going to be the only one flipping onto my back?   

There will be people on their back.  You might not see them but they will be there.  My first HIM I freaked a bit at the start and I had to backstroke to the first bouy.  I kept flipping back over to do the crawl but then would freak out again and back to my back.  I eventually settled into it and just did my thing.  But, that was my first time freaking out in the water.  I am not a fast swimmer but I am very comfortable being in the water.  It's a normal feeling, you just have to fight through it any way you can
2010-09-01 11:17 PM
in reply to: #3077616

User image

Connecticut
bzgl40 - 2010-09-01 11:55 PM
kmonie360 - 2010-09-01 8:47 PM so i'm not going to be the only one flipping onto my back?   

There will be people on their back.  You might not see them but they will be there.  My first HIM I freaked a bit at the start and I had to backstroke to the first bouy.  I kept flipping back over to do the crawl but then would freak out again and back to my back.  I eventually settled into it and just did my thing.  But, that was my first time freaking out in the water.  I am not a fast swimmer but I am very comfortable being in the water.  It's a normal feeling, you just have to fight through it any way you can

Yea i've lived on the water my whole life. So i'm comfortable with it, but never noticed how hard swimming really is when ur going for speed or a destination 
2010-09-02 7:00 AM

User image

Elite
I did my firs tri on Aug. 21.  I was really surprised to see just how many people were on their backs, kicking their way through the swim.  My goal was to complete the swim without having to flip to my back and I did.  I am one of the lucky beginners I guess that experienced zero panic in my practice open water swims with a wetsuit on for the first time.  I stayed very calm and relaxed through the swim portion and handled everything just fine.  If you haven't done a practice open water swim with a wetsuit, I would try to fit one in before your race.  However, you certainly wouldn't be the only one on your back if you need to flip over to gather yourself and rest.
2010-09-02 7:34 AM

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
Be prepared to swallow some water.  Get the voice in your head to say,"I just swallowed some water.  Nothing serious. Now get back to swimming."

2010-09-02 10:02 AM

I talked to myself (out loud) telling myself that I was ok.  It sounds crazy but it stopped me from panicking.   My poor friend on the other hand got dunked as soon as the swim started and did the whole thing while crying and hyperventilating, but she still made it through.  You will too.  Get through it any way you know how and enjoy yourself!
2010-09-02 10:11 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
My 10 year old told me last night she's worried about me swimming at the tri. This was due to the surf at the race beach being quite high (6' waves) due to departing and soon to be approaching tropical storms/hurricanes. I can do the distance, (450 yd) and I have planned several OWS prior to race day, and thinking we won't have a hurricane the day of the race .  smaller waves? OK, I'll deal, but hopefully getting in some OWS time prior to the race will be a big benefit
2010-09-02 10:11 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

Edit - double post. sorry.

Edited by Mike_D 2010-09-02 10:31 AM
2010-09-02 10:13 AM

User image

Pro
MA
people do all kinds of moves in the water. 
Once I hooked arms with someone who flipped over and started doing backstroke right next to me. 
I know of a multi-IM finsiher who did his entire HIM in backstroke. 
I switch strokes and positions during races all the time. 
2010-09-02 10:33 AM

User image

Regular
Flagstaff
kmonie360 - 2010-09-01 5:39 PM I wouldn't say that I am completely ready to take on the swim for my upcoming tri. I don't know if it's just thats i'm not confident in my swimming as I am in my bike and run, or if i'm really not ready. 

You should be fine - try to get some OWS practice with the wetsuit first.  Bad idea to rock up on race day with brand new equipment you've never tested.

Most races have a LOT of support people out on the course, kayaks and paddleboards mostly, so if you really get in trouble there's help close at hand.  Just relax, flip to your back if you need to, and you'll do fine.  If you're worried about getting mixed up in the crowd just start at the back and to the outside (away from the buoy).  That will minimize the number of elbows you'll have to deal with in the water.

2010-09-02 11:59 AM

User image

Upon the Rock
In my limited experience I learned how you manage the 1st 100 yards or so is important.  If you can stay relaxed and within yourself at the start instead of getting caught up in the excitement and going too hard, too early you'll find yourself in a good rythm the rest of the way.

Get in the water early and swim around before the start.
2010-09-02 2:23 PM
in reply to: #3078616

User image

Veteran
North Carolina Foothills
Need2Breathe - 2010-09-02 11:59 AM

If you can stay relaxed and within yourself at the start instead of getting caught up in the excitement and going too hard, too early you'll find yourself in a good rythm the rest of the way.

Exactly!!!

Also, I wouldn't be relying on the kayak people if you get in trouble ... no one should even attempt to start the race, unless they are reasonably confident that they can swim the distance in open water (not just the pool) unassisted.

Start in the back and to the outside, and count to five or so once the horn goes off for your wave, then start. Those five seconds aren't going to matter much in the scheme of things.

As to the wetsuit question ... they add a lot of buoyancy. But please don't make your first OWS with a wetsuit a race. It is pretty important to get out in the open water at least once in the wetsuit prior to the race to get a feel for it.

Edited by rventuri 2010-09-02 2:25 PM
2010-09-02 2:41 PM
in reply to: #3077839

User image

Bronze member
pga_mike - 2010-09-02 7:34 AM Be prepared to swallow some water.  Get the voice in your head to say,"I just swallowed some water.  Nothing serious. Now get back to swimming."

x2
I was pretty confident during my first ows. I practiced in my wetsuit in ow, no nerves, everything fine. I swim at the lake every summer anyway, what's the big deal I thought. Friends kept telling me be prepared if you swallow that cold water. It will be hard to breath. Well that's exactly what happened. I started middle of the pack, someone in front of me kicked and I swallowed a mouth full of cold water. My lungs felt like they were frozen and I was literally GASPING for air. I thought "dang, this is what they were talking about!" I just stopped, floated for a few seconds until I could catch my breath and then took off swimming like there was no tomorrow!!
Just be ready and don't panic. Practice, practice, practice
2010-09-02 2:51 PM
in reply to: #3079121

Master
, California
Start in the back and to the outside, and count to five or so once the horn goes off for your wave

^^^
Wait for the aggressive swimmers to clear out, then start your race.  You'll find a lot less thrashing around and less chance of swallowing water if you just wait a few seconds.

I also agree with the comment about cold water.  If possible, get your head underwater and then swim a little prior to the race start so you can adjust to the temperature. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » worried about the swim in my first tri Rss Feed