General Discussion Race Reports! » The San Francisco Triathlon at Alcatraz Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

The San Francisco Triathlon at Alcatraz - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
San Francisco, California
United States
Tri-California Events, Inc.
54F / 12C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 24m 31s
Overall Rank = 617/694
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I am a worrier by nature, and I tend to worry about things that can go wrong in races to the point of obession. As a result, being anxious going into a race is nothing new. However, the anxiety before this race was new - it was beyond the norm and was actually fear. I was scared about the swim and if I would be able to complete it. Two nights before the race, I even had a five minute conversation with myself about DNSing. I convinced myself that I was just being silly and I would take baby steps on Sunday morning. First, get on the bus to go to the pier. Second, get on the ferry to go to Alcatraz. Third, jump off the ferry. Fourth, start the swim - so on and so forth, and see how far I could get.
My friend Rick had sent me a bunch of great advice regarding the event and how well monitored the swim course was. This helped to put my mind at ease. I knew deep down that I was physically prepared, that I would be safe, and that my mind was my only limiter. There were three possibilities once I jumped off the ferry - finish, give up, or get pulled from the course. If I removed giving up from the equation, I would either finish or it would be out of my control. I made this deal with myself.

The day before the race, I walked down to the transisiton area and checked out the swim. It looked far, but I am used to swim 'courses' - out and back or around bouys, not one point to another. I knew that 1.2 miles was well within my capabilities and there would be no turnaround - just swim from there to here. The issue was the conditions - on Saturday, the winds were high, and the water was really choppy. It was pretty intimidating to look at. At the pre-race meeting, they did a test swim - they reported four foot swells and out of the 11 swimmers they took out, they only let 4 make the swim. Needless to say, my fears remained. They said that Saturday's conditions were unusual, and hoped for better conditions on Sunday for the race.

We settled in pretty early at the hotel, but I only got about 3.5 hours of sleep.
Event warmup:

We walked to transition and I got set up. I was done in plenty of time to get on the first bus to the pier. Even though there was a lot of idle time, it passed quickly - chatting with other athletes, running back and forth to the restroom and getting the wetsuit on properly. Before we knew it, the boat started up and we were on our way to the island. We put our morning clothes into the race bags they had provided us (which would be returned to us back in transition - they really thought of everything!) and took in the sights of the Bay as we made our way to the start.

They announced that the water temp was 59 and conditions were much calmer than they had been on Saturday - a relief. They also told us to sight toward the ship that was in front of the Ghirardelli sign and then change course toward the west as you made progress.

On the boat, I met another athlete named Sylvia who was also pretty nervous. She asked if I wanted to jump into the water at the same time and start the swim together. The thought of having a 'swim buddy' to keep an eye out for me was really appealing, so I agreed.

The boat arrived at Alcatraz and everyone started to make their way downstairs to the jump off platform. Rick had already told me there was no time when you get to the platform to think - once you get there, you need to jump - no pausing. Knowing this, I approached the platform and jumped into the Bay. It was underway.
Swim
  • 48m 29s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 18s / 100 yards
Comments:

Plunging into the water, it was chilly, but not frigid as feared. It was, however, very wavy. I was rocking back and forth and the water was coming midway over my head every few seconds. It was a little disconcerting but I wasn't in a panic. I also knew that my normal swim stroke wasn't going to fly today. I kept my head up and paddled so I could keep my face above the swells and continue to see where I was going. It was somewhat slow going but I could see that I was making progress and there were plenty of other swimmers and kayaks around, so I wasn't drifting completely back.

I did try to look around at a couple of points during the swim to see the Bay Bridge, Golden Gate, and Alcatraz. Unfortunately, I was distracted by the swells in the water, so I didn't get to appreciate the perspective as much as I would have liked.

About 20 minutes in, I asked a kayaker how I was doing on direction and he said that I should start turning toward the third building at Fort Mason, so I changed direction slightly to the west and kept going. I think that is when I started veering off course. About 28 minutes in, another kayaker approached me and told me that I was going too far west and would need to be repostitioned. If I kept going, I was going to miss the cove we were aiming for and end up beyond the land mass that created the cove at Marina Green. A boat picked me and two other swimmers up and put us back on course. I was disappointed, but they told us that repositioning wouldn't penalize us but refusing to get repositioned would result in a DQ. Of course, I knew they were there to look out for our safety and I was going to do whatever they said regardless of the result, but I was relieved to know that I would be able to continue. We reached the reposition point and they asked if we wanted to get back in and continue - the answer, of course, was absolutely! I jumped off the back of the boat and continued to swim. This time, I was aiming directly for the platform. I hit it and exited the water, hearing the announcer call my name. I was relieved and happy - I don't think I will ever be afraid of a swim again.

I found Jenna as I headed into transition and told her about the swim. We were both relieved that I came out okay.
What would you do differently?:

I think that if I kept heading even further esat than recommended, I would have stayed entirely on course. Since I was moving slowly, I should have overcompensated. I am disappointed that I had to be set back on course, and I think that aiming really far east would have prevented that.
Transition 1
  • 07m 33s
Comments:

Slow transition, but after getting out of the water, the rest of the day was icing on the cake.

Nothing - I knew the bike would be chilly, so I took the time to put on arm warmers and a vest
Bike
  • 1h 44m 35s
  • 25.3 miles
  • 14.51 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike course was beautiful and challenging. It goes through the Presidio, along the coast, to the SF Zoo, back through Golden Gate Park, and back through the Presidio to transition. The views were phenomenal, but since the course had a lot of hills and I needed to be on my guard, I didn't get to take them in as I would like.

I rented a bike for the event since I didn't want to have to transport my bike and do the disassembly and re-assembly. I rented a Specialized Roubaix Expert road bike. I was able to pick it up on our way from the airport to the hotel on Friday. While it was a nice bike, it was still an unfamiliar bike and I was on roads I had never ridden before. I took the course as conservatively as possible. It was very hilly and there were turns at the bottom of most downhills - not a situtaion in which to take any chances. Besides, I knew the run course was also going to be tough. I just cruised through most of the course - burned my legs on the uphills, used caution on the downhills, and tried to take in some fluid on the flats (there weren't many!).

After battling the hills for an hour and 45 minutes, transition was back in view and it was time to start the run. I was glad to be done with the bike - I didn't want to have an accident, especially on a bike that isn't mine.

Nothing - my goal was to finish in one piece and stay well above the course cutoffs. I was in great shape.
Transition 2
  • 03m 7s
Comments:

Took my time and got ready to run. I decided to leave the arm warmers but keep the vest on.
Run
  • 1h 43m 17s
  • 7.5 miles
  • 13m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

After an already challenging morning, I knew that the run had a few more challenges in store, and my running has been off this year, to say the least. I just wanted to get through as efficiently as I could.

I started with a light jog, hoping to maintain it until I got under the bridge. When I got to the tunnel, which you have to duck to get into, I started to walk a bit, and then when I hit the stairs, I walked a bit more. I walked the uphills and ran the downhills, picking up the pace on the downhill leading to Baker Beach. When I got on the sand, I slowed back down to a walk. I knew the sand ladder was coming up and it was the last big challenge of the race. Having already climed some stairs, I knew my legs were starting to tire.

I got to the ladder (it is a series of logs tied together and laid up a sand dune - there are 400 'stairs'). I grabbed the cable that goes along it and pulled myself up, one at a time. I refused to look up and see how far I had to go until I counted 100 steps. I glanced up after each 100 or so and could see the progress. Finally, I hit the top and the ladder section was complete. Only about a 5k left to the finish, and a lot of it was either downhill or flat.

I struggled to get along the trails and down the stairs to mile five. Along the way, I met a guy named Andy. He was from Georgia. We passed the time by talking a little and reflecting on the evnt so far. We agreed to start into a run - a slow run, but running nonetheless. He went ahead for a bit, but I caught up to him at the mile six aid station. We ran together a little more. When we got about a half mile from the finish, I told him I wanted to see what I had left and broke into a faster run. I was emptying the tank as the finish chute came into view. It was exciting to enter the chute. I started clapping and taking in the moment. I raised my arms as I crossed the line and the announcer called my name again. I saw Jenna and after crossing the, circled back around to find her.

I felt better on this run than I have all year. I ran a good bit of it and didn't fall into survival mode. I felt strong approaching the line and even had a little bit left to pick up the pace toward the end. This was one of the better run efforts I have had recently - the time doesn't relect it, but that is more a result of the course and the competition.

Nothing - I knew that the sand ladder section would be tough and wanted to conserve a bit to get through it.
Post race
Warm down:

We collected my things, and Jenna showed me some souvenirs she bought at the store. They offered a nice finisher's jacket for $20 if you showed your medal, and that was too good a deal to pass up, so I bought one. I wanted to get returning the bike out of the way, so I decided to ride it to the shop and take a cab back to the hotel.

I should have checked the map for the most direct route, because I made an error in routing. I turned south too early and ended up on Russian Hill. I climbed the first two steep blocks, but finally gave in and walked the bike the rest of the way up the hill....then I saw the downhill. There was no way I was taking the chance of riding down a hill that steep and trying to stop at the bottom for a stop sign - so I walked it down. Finally, I made it to the shop and returned the bike. I took a cab back to the hotel and started to get cleaned up. Jenna went next door to a pizza place and ordered for us. When I got clean and went next door, the food was on its way. We had a nice lunch and then resteed for a while. That night, we went to Fisherman's Wharf and had dinner. Our table had a beautiful view of the Bay and Alcatraz. It was the perfect end to a great day.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Limited experience in choppy water, trepidation with an unfamilar bike and roads, and limited run training due to injury in July

Event comments:

Tri California did a first class job with this race. It was extremely organized, on time, and the athletes were well taken care of and looked after. They thought of every little detail to make it a great experience for the participants and keep us safe. I am sure it is an extremely difficult event to coordinate and they did an unbelieveable job. I would highly recommend this or any of their other events.

Last updated: 2009-12-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:48:29 | 2112 yards | 02m 18s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/694
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: From boat at Alcatraz to Marina Green
Start type: Dive Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 59F / 15C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 07:33
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:44:35 | 25.3 miles | 14.51 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 03:07
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:43:17 | 07.5 miles | 13m 46s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Under the Golden Gate bridge, down to Baker Beach, through the sand, up the sand ladder, and back to transition.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-09-02 10:02 AM

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona
Subject: The San Francisco Triathlon at Alcatraz

2010-09-02 10:38 AM
in reply to: #3078248

User image

Regular
Tempe
Subject: RE: The San Francisco Triathlon at Alcatraz
Way to go Brian!  I'm so glad you had a fun experience out there and one not to be forgotten anytime soon.   Great job and I can't wait to see you up at Silverman. 
2010-09-02 10:57 AM

User image

Elite
Phoenix, AZ
Congrats, Brian! That's one helluva a race and report. That's on my bucket list for sure.
2010-09-02 11:09 AM

User image

Veteran
Congratulations on your fantastic race! 
2010-09-02 11:39 AM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Good job...thanks for sharing your report.  Funny to see someone else mention both the reaction to the announcement of the water temperature and the tunnel on the run...both were definitely memorable moments from the day.
2010-09-02 3:15 PM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ

Congrats Brian! Sounds like an all around great experience and a fun getaway with Jenna!

I have known you since we got into this crazy tri stuff, and I know how big of an issue the swim was for you. To hear about you complete one of the toughest swims in triathlon is just so awesome! I hope you are very proud of yourself!

2010-09-02 3:35 PM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Congrats! Some of my friends did this race .. glad to hear it was a good experience!
2010-09-02 9:23 PM

Pro
AZ
Awesome!!! You just continue to push yourself to, and past, amazing goals!  I never doubt you will surpass them!
2010-09-05 1:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Phoenix, AZ

Nice work Brian, great job not letting your brain hold you back about the swim!! It is an amazing course to race on, glad you had a good experience!

2010-09-06 8:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
Brian,
Great Race! I know it's a funny feeling to jump off a perfectly good boat in the middle of the water but what a cool way to start a race.
2010-09-26 5:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Casa Grande, Az.
Great, detailed race report! Would love to do this race...look forward to "running" into you at Prospector!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The San Francisco Triathlon at Alcatraz Rss Feed