United States
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 17m 16s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 40-45
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up early and lost track of time, so I had to hustle a little bit to get to the venue when I wanted to be there. Ate a English Muffin with PB on it before I left the house and a power bar on the 45 minute drive.
Event warmup:

Got everything set up and I had two teammates that were doing their first tri, so I helped them set up and talked to them about racing and how they needed to stay within themselves. Went for a little jog with them to show them the course and then we got ready to go to the beach. I got talked into wearing my wetsuit while in transition and put it on. When I got to the beach I got in the water and swam about 100 or 150 yards. Felt pretty good.
Swim
  • 12m 4s
  • 500 yards
  • 02m 25s / 100 yards
Comments:

So, I decided that I did not want a repeat performance from Hy-Vee of my finger getting kicked and I took my time getting into the water. Started out nice and evenly and thought that I would try and go the same pace all of the way through. I am usually the last person out of the water and I was determined not to be. My sighting was something that I have been working on and I did so much better. The first bouy was at 150 and as I went around it I felt my right calf cramp a little bit. I tried pointing and flexing my toe to work it out and it just wasn't happening. If I didn't kick, it would ease up, but if I kicked with any forcee at all, it would cramp. I decided to only move my legs to keep my balance, which slowed me down, but kept me in the race.
What would you do differently?:

I just have to get stronger at swimming. Major focus on that this winter.
Transition 1
  • 03m 5s
Comments:

So, as you leave the water you have to cross the beach and then run up this ve3ry steep grass hill. I would say it is a 30 - 40 degree climb - I mean, straight up. Many walked it. I ran up slowly and got my wetsuit off of my arms and around my waist coming in transition. By the time you make the 300 yard journey up the hill and to you bike, your wetsuit starts to dry out. Mine did. I could not get my suit off of my heels. I had to siut on the ground and pull it off. Way slow in transition.

Use more lube on my suit? I shoulkd have not worn it. Should have never let thos guys talk me into it.
Bike
  • 1h 03m 32s
  • 15.5 miles
  • 14.64 mile/hr
Comments:

So, I left the park to the course and you start by going downhill. at the bottom of the hill you turn left and start back up the hill. About half way up the hill my right calf starts to cramp again. I stand up to work it out and it goes away as I make the next turn and continue up. I start to spin up the hill and here comes the cramp. I know that I can't keep standing up, so I drop to the small ring on the front and ride there. No cramping. I finish getting to the top and make a turn to the north (with the wind at my back) and bring it back to the 53 and I start to troke to get my speed up. As soon as a get some resistance on a small hill, her comes the cramp. This time it is worse. I finally decide that I can oinly turn the big ring on downhills, but I have to get to the small ring and spin fast an anything level or uphill. I rode the whole race like that, testing from time to time with the same result. I tried to drink everything I had to help alleviate it, but it did nothing. I rode this course last week at race pace and finished it 18 minutes faster than during the race, but the real trouble was just about to begin.

Not really sure.
Transition 2
  • 02m 8s
Comments:

This is where it gets both funny and tragic. I got to my spot easily enough and made the change. I then started running towards the run out and my calf totally locked up. I fell on my face (luckily it was grass). I got up to try and run and couldn't do it. I crossed the timing mat to start the run and there is a guy standing there that says "Dude, it looks like you have a 2x4 in your calf". Thanks, buddy, for the mental picture.

Again, not sure.
Run
  • 53m 28s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 17m 15s  min/mile
Comments:

So, I start to run again. I get about 500 yards and I hav e to walk. I take turns alternating between running 4 or 500 yardas and walking 200 for the first mile. I get to the wwateer station at mile 1 and grab two things of water. I drink them both and grab two more. One goes over my head and I drink another. As I start to run the cramp starts to move into my butt and then my lower back. I can't run at all. I hit my lap buttomn at the 1 mile mark and limp on. I got another 1/4 of a mile and the cramp had spread to my mid and upper back, shoulders and neck. I had a full body cramp. One of the volunteers sees me walk by and asks why I am flexing. I'm not flexing, I'm cramping I say - probably a little meaner than I intended. About 3 minutes later a guy pulls up in a gotor and tells me to get in. I said no. He said "you are cramping". I told him that nobody was as aware of that as I was. He said "you need to go to the medical tent" and I said "get with me in another mile and a half". It took me 20 minutes to walk mile 2. I found out later that this is a setting of 3 on a treadmill. 3!!! Anyway, as I started to get past mile 2 I began to jog and then run a little. They sent another medical person out to me and she just kind of shuffled along with me talking to me and asking me questions about organ donation. I found out later they wanted to see if my mind had gone south. It took me 16 minutes and change to do the last 1.1 miles.

Nobody seems to be able to explain the cramping to me. Doc says it might be drug interaction since all indicators were that I was well-hydrated the night before.
Post race
Warm down:

Went to the medical tent and got an IV while being force fed 6 bananas.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

One legged is no way to race a tri.

Event comments:

No Gatorade at all on this race. Water and soda pop were the drink options, and diet soda pop at that.

Last updated: 2010-06-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:04 | 500 yards | 02m 25s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: Wetsuit, full sleeve
Course: This course was a triangle that should be swum almost like a rectangle. The entry point was way to the right and the exit point was to the left side of the beach. I probably gave up some time by swimming back toi the center of the beach instead of swimming straight in from the last bouy and just coming up the beach.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:05
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:03:32 | 15.5 miles | 14.64 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind: Strong
Course: The course is a three loop adventure in which ypou go around the park and then head out a major street and then turn around and rejoin the loop. There was a strong headwind coming from the south, and you faced south about 1/3 of the loop. it is rolling hills with nothing to steep.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Bad Hills: Below average
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:08
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:53:28 | 03.1 miles | 17m 15s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: The run is a big loop through the park, about 1/3 of it on a grass path and another 1/4 on gravel.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No