Sun Multisport Events
92F / 33C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 32m 11s
Overall Rank = 577/636
Age Group = Clyd
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up about 4:30 at the hotel. So glad I got packed the night before so I could lug everything out to the car quickly. Went down to eat breakfast. I so love the night auditor. He makes sure breakfast is out very early for us at Cranberry, thanks Marriott. Saw a gentleman in a foot boot carrying a camo backpack. Invited him to join me. Turns out he was an instructor at West Point. He had come up with a group of cadets racing in the college division. Lawrence and his wife Olivia were welcome guests.

DK called and said she would be joining me for breakfast. As we were wrapping up, CFG and Kelly joined us for a few before we headed out.
Event warmup:

Got a decent parking spot to unload the tents, my racing gear etc. I love carrying a marker as DK marked me before heading off to volunteer. Had a blast chatting with Trifury as the team was grouped together for the regional team championships.

Just kind of chilled once everything was set up.
Swim
  • 29m 50s
  • 1408 yards
  • 02m 07s / 100 yards
Comments:

Considering all the issues I was having at the sprint, I felt so much better on this swim. I was able to maintain my breathing and effort well. For some reason I remembered at the beginning of the race to get a musical cadence in my head and sync my stokes to it. For some reason I get a waltz in my head which works well with breathing every 3 strokes.

Passed a few people, but did not really try to. Next wave started to catch me at the 1/2 way point. Just made to the outside of the course and gave them room.
What would you do differently?:

Since my aerobics were all messed up the day before, I am very happy with this.
Transition 1
  • 03m 41s
Comments:

Not too bad, and almost the same as for the sprint, so at least I am consistent.
Bike
  • 1h 36m 30s
  • 26.3 miles
  • 16.35 mile/hr
Comments:

Most of the course was quite smooth. A few pockets of roughness, but it was all good. I just wanted to get into a grove and go. Thank goodness for the Computrainer. I found a steady cadence with a good spinscan. I could really feel the form even though I could not really push the pace.

Was quite entertained for the first hour or so. I was in the second wave, and apparently the women were in the next waves. At least the scenery was easy on the eyes :)

As I entered Lakeville on the back end of the ride, the world came past in a big hurry. Huge chunks of riders manage to finally catch up to me. No worries, just love the fact I was an early wave to enjoy having people out on the course with me.
Transition 2
  • 02m 50s
Comments:

Ok, so need to figure out how to not head out of transition without my race belt. 2 days in a row. At least this time I noticed within about 6 steps of heading away from my bike.
Run
  • 1h 19m 22s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 12m 48s  min/mile
Comments:

No illusions of grandeur as I hit the course. Planned on 6 min run and 1 walk from the get go. Looked at my watch, did a little math, and realized a PR might be out there to be had. I had chosen my VFFS again as they would at least keep my running form honest. Ended up in a rhythm of 1 minute walk every 1/2 mile or so until about mile 4.5. At mile 5 the hill began. I had pushed hard and used what I had in the tank. Ended up walking a ton during the last mile, but managed to get my watch to read under 3 hours by the end of the run!!

Turns out I forgot to start the watch on the swim, so no PR, but it did allow me to push hard. This year at least I did not push to hard or mess up on nutrition. I hit the finish line and needed to lie down. My nose was tingling and I was just exhausted. Felt absolutely great, just had nothing left in the tank. I think this was the most complete effort without going over I have ever done. So very proud of my tactics and effort.

Downside of lying down at the finish is the paramedics kept asking me if I was ok. I just wanted to take a nap, but kept smiling so they did not think I had passed out. Got up and ended up sitting in the ice bath. It felt great!! Only felt cold getting out of the water.

Special thanks to DK for the orange slice and keeping an extra eye on me at the finish line. I just hope my photos look as good as the races felt.
Post race
Warm down:

took quite awhile to get my body to have any sense of energy again. Hit the BT tent and just hung out for awhile. Eventually got a plate of food I could not finish and enjoyed the company of friends. I had what I am calling a "Field of Dreams" moment after the race. I was like " is this heaven?..No Lakeville" :) The feeling was better than my PR at this race or the satisfaction after both my Marry and 1/2 Iron efforts. It just felt like everything was right with the world, even if it was only for one day.

Event comments:

I can not say enough about this race. I will keep on doing it as long as I can and it is still offered.

Last updated: 2010-06-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:50 | 1408 yards | 02m 07s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 388/636
Performance: Average
Suit: QR sleeveless
Course: hourglass shape following the shore counter clockwise
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:41
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:36:30 | 26.3 miles | 16.35 mile/hr
Overall: 573/636
Wind: Some
Course: A modified course this year. It seemed a little flatter, but definitely longer. I loved the long flat and false flat straightaways that lent to great aero work.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:50
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:19:22 | 06.2 miles | 12m 48s  min/mile
Overall: 595/636
Course: counter clockwise run with an evil hill at the end. Ok, if I were in better running shape, it would not be so evil.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-09-02 4:29 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids
Subject: Cranberry Trifest

2010-09-04 6:07 PM
in reply to: #3079444

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Cranberry Trifest

Great Job Joe!! Nice to see you as always and Thanks for the tent and everything.  Glad you were feeling better and had a very smart race!!

2010-09-04 7:54 PM
in reply to: #3079444

User image

Pro
MA
Subject: RE: Cranberry Trifest
You like to play dead at t he finish.  
Glad you like the orange.  
Was a great weekend.  
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cranberry Trifest Rss Feed