General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Olympic Triathlon tomorrow, Any Advice? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-09-03 11:32 AM

Subject: First Olympic Triathlon tomorrow, Any Advice?
So i ive competed in a ton of triathlons this summer, all sprints, but as my "last" race of the season i wanted to end on an olympic distance. Ive done half marathons in the past and 60 mile bike rides, the only concern is the swim. When im training in my gyms pool i can swim for an hour or so without stopping, so should i be concerned with the swim portion

2010-09-03 11:44 AM
in reply to: #3080717

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: First Olympic Triathlon tomorrow, Any Advice?
How were the swims in your sprints?  It's the same thing, only longer.  If you were barely surviving the sprint swims then I might be concerned but if you were ok in the sprints then just take things a bit easier for the Olympic and you'll be fine!
2010-09-03 11:46 AM

I finished usually in the top 30 of my swims, i think my biggest problem is pace. Once i get into a good stream and pace i feel like i can all day
2010-09-03 11:48 AM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas
Don't worry about the swim if you can swim an hour non-stop in the pool.  The worst you will have to do is slow down a bit. 

My problem on my first oly was going too hard on the bike and dragging on the run. 

Good luck and have fun!
2010-09-03 12:16 PM

User image

Expert
I was very nervous about the swim before my first oly (and I've most certainly never swam for 1 hour in a pool without stopping!).  That bouy was a LOOOONG ways from shore...  Once I got swimming, it was a non issue.  The adrenaline, the excitement, the other people around, the swim was over before I knew it.  Bike was fine too, and the run was awesome for the first three miles...  Miles 5&6 were rough, but by then you're almost done so it's not too hard to pull out a little extra something for the finish.

My only advice is have fun, but really push.  Don't settle in and relax, you will regret it later.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Olympic Triathlon tomorrow, Any Advice? Rss Feed