World Triathlon Corporation
95F / 35C
Sunny
Total Time = 12h 11m 57s
Overall Rank = 472/2700
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 82/
Pre-race routine:

Arrived at athlete check-in first thing Thursday morning. Long story, but WTC mistakenly dropped me from the event last month. No number, refunded my money, etc. After numerous phone calls and emails, I finally received my bib number on Thursday...lucky #2999! That's behind me, deep breath, now focus on the one thing you haven't been able to get out of your head for the last 9 months.

On race day I woke at 3:45 a.m. Got dressed and ate some oat meal and and english muffin with peanut butter. Drank two cups of coffee, gathered up my race day sherpas (wife and friend Dave) and out the door for the 20 minute drive to the race start
Event warmup:

Checked tire pressure in the transition area, ate a banana, and then made the 15 walk from transition to the swim start. Drank a bottle of Gatorade Primer during the walk (I like this stuff). Didn't get in line until 5:45 a.m., which meant about 3/4's back in the line. Chatted up the folks standing in line next to me and before I knew it was time. Heard the pros go off at 6:50 and then the cannon for the AG start at 7:00. Was in the water at about 7:25 a.m.
Swim
  • 1h 16m 39s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim went pretty well. Due to the time trial start you're swimming with people at all types of levels. Makes in interesting but nothing that really slows you down all that much. Focused on counting strokes and breathing and tried to keep good form and the HR low.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Transition 1
  • 06m 31s
Comments:

Exiting the water I immediately saw family and friends cheering me on. This continued the entire day. Unbelievable support and it meant the world in this very long hot day. Transition went pretty well, although slower than expected. Biggest blunder was forgetting my salt tabs. Alos had a little trouble getting the bike off the rack.

Try to be a little quicker and REMEMBER ALL NUTRITION.
Bike
  • 6h 08m 32s
  • 112 miles
  • 18.23 mile/hr
Comments:

Focused on taking the first two hours at a "just ride around" pace. Was getting passed by EVERYONE during the first ten miles. Just kept telling myself I'd see most of them again. For the sencond two hours kept it at "steady" and tried to go a little easy on the out and back, saving some for the two loops. Incredible fan support, including my family who were sporting airhorns and signs for all. Last two hours picked up a bit and began passing many people, especially in the last hour. NEGATIVE SPLITS and very happy. Only down side was forgetting my salt tabs.

Nothing.
Transition 2
  • 07m 41s
Comments:

Thought this transition would be must faster. I guess it just takes time putting all that vasoline everywhere.

Nothing
Run
  • 4h 32m 34s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 24s  min/mile
Comments:

Plan was to run the first six miles at a 10 min/mile pace and then drop it to 9.5. Planned worked until mile 8, at which time my hamstrings and toes began to cramp. Reached in to the fuel belt to pop some salt tabs only to notice that they'd completely disolved. CRAP! Quickly realized I needed a change of nutrition to avoid/ease the cramping. Only option was to begin walking the aid stations and consuming as much chicken broth, pretzels, water, and sport drink as possible. Miles 8 to 13 hurt bad. At the turn around near the finish line, I almost fell down because I was momentarily doing something other than running in a straight line. Very weird feeling, but kept downing the chicken broth, Perform, etc. and eventually things began to feel good (very relative term at this point) again. Only problem was I felt I still needed to walk the stations, so I would run 9.5's or so between stations and then spend 30 to 45 seconds walking and eating/drinking. At the half way point I realized it wasn't likely I would break 12 hours. Although this was a little bit of a downer, the main goal was to KEEP RUNNING. I hit the mile 18 mark and then began to notice that at least 75 percent of the folks out there were walking. The heat was having a field day with the athletes, many of which were obviously in peak condition. Kept up the slow steady jog and began passing all kinds of people as I continued to walk the stations. Friends were trying to jog down the sidewalks and talk to me at this point but it just wasn't happening. I felt terrible that I couldn't say more to them, but I was in a strange place and just needed to focus on one foot in front of the other. Once I saw that mile 24 sign I kicked it into another gear and began hammering toward downtown (again, a very relative term as "hammer" probably meant 9 min/miles). I made the final two turns before hitting fourth street and then tried to soak in as much of the atmosphere as possible. Found this pretty hard to do as I was SO focused on getting to the end. Finally the arch was in sight, heard the music and cheering fans and suddenly heard "ROBERT SCOTT...YOU ARE...and then it's mostly a blur as I saw friends and family just feet from the line. Crossed over and was completely overjoyed. Nothing can compare.

Not a thing...except maybe remember my salt tabs.
Post race
Warm down:

Had a wonderful guy help me through the photo/t-shirt area and then met with family and friends. About an hour later in the recovery center I began to feel TERRIBLE. Within 30 minutes I had an IV dripping the best liquid ever invented into my body. Stumbled to the car and went to retrieve the bike. Stumble, shuffle, stumble, shuffle, stumble all the rest of the night, but it's the best pain I've ever felt.

Event comments:

Major problems with WTC losing my registration, but other than this small detail, things went great.

Last updated: 2009-09-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:16:39 | 4224 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 869/2700
Performance: Good
Suit: None
Course: 1/3 against current up and around Towhead Island. Remaining 2/3 down stream to the swim exit.
Start type: Dive Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 06:31
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
06:08:32 | 112 miles | 18.23 mile/hr
Overall: 730/2700
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Constant rollers with flats for the first and last ten miles.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 07:41
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
04:32:34 | 26.2 miles | 10m 24s  min/mile
Overall: 0/2700
Performance: Average
Course: Flat two loop course
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-09-04 2:00 PM

User image

Chantilly, VA
Subject: Ironman Louisville

2010-09-05 8:57 PM
in reply to: #3082129

User image

Expert
Johns Creek, Georgia
Subject: RE: Ironman Louisville
Wow, way to keep it together after being dropped.  That had to be nerve wrecking!  Great bike pace and solid time.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Louisville Rss Feed