General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Zoot, Newton, Saucony-Supinator Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-09-05 5:44 AM

User image

Waikoloa
Subject: Zoot, Newton, Saucony-Supinator
Finally time to set fire to the old Nikes.  2 pairs of Nike in the last year, and on both I had huge blisters on the Achilles tendon part of my heel.  Even with the laces way tight, the shoes just could not keep my foot stable.  Add to that the stress fracture, (too much too soon), and it's finally time to get some real running shoes, and maybe a new running style.

So after some research, and looking at 4 old pairs of shoes, it appears that I am an under-pronater (supination).  While I see TONS of shoes for overpronation, I see nothing marketed for supinators.  As with most supinators, my heel strikes first, and I have very high arches.  With the new injury, and the recent trend leading to the idea that getting rid of the heel strike will likely result in fewer injuries, I am looking for guidance.

It appears that Newton and Zoot are shoes developed for midfoot or forefoot running.  Saucony, I'm not sure.  The vids on their website all seem to have people literally slamming their heels into the ground.

Any shoe ideas (for when I can run without pain again in 2 months)?

2010-09-05 8:34 AM
in reply to: #3082585

User image

Veteran
Burlington
Subject: RE: Zoot, Newton, Saucony-Supinator
Best advice is to find a local running store and try a bunch on, talk to the salesperson, get their advice.  If it is a good shop they'll be expereinced and know what is right for you.

If you aren't a mid/fore foot striker don't go to Newtons or racing flats yet.  Develop the proper stride before making the shoe switch to prevent injury.  There is nothing in a "normal" running shoe that will prevent you from mid/fore foot striking but there is plenty missing in shoes designed for those runners that can/will cause injury if you aren't.
2010-09-05 3:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Torrance/Carson
I definitely wouldn't recommend Newtons for you if you want to transition out of heel striking. Probably the easiest way to transition is to find a grassy, soft area where you can casually jog back and forth barefoot. Don't overdo it. Just try it for a few minutes and then afterwards review your foot strike and form. For most people, running barefoot like this will essentially push them towards using their forefoot. Even better, have someone with running experience look at your form while you try this.

Honestly the foot strike depends on the person and not the shoe. I still have much to work on as far as my own running form, but with most brands of shoe I can strike my foot in pretty much the same area.
2010-09-17 1:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Overlea/Fullerton Maryland
as Rubike said go to a knowledgeable run store. FYI I hate Nike's they are more about form than function IMO. Dont buy your shoes at the mall footlocker those kids are clueless.

Everyone has their preference and each foot is different.
2010-09-17 2:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Falls Church, VA
Sounds to me what you're saying is you want to try shoes with a lower heel to toe drop.
I've got a lot of info from reading this guy's blog

http://www.runblogger.com/

especially this page that lists a lot of shoes that have a lower drop
http://www.runblogger.com/2010/07/runbloggers-guide-to-minimalist-running.html

I tried the Zoot Ultra's and loved them but after about 100 miles decided that their size 14's were just a little small. (Don't make 15's)  Otherwise I'd still be using them. (The Zoot's h-t drop is 10mm, most shoes are commonly about 12mm)

Now Am using Asics Hyperspeed's (h-t 7mm) and are really enjoying running in them.  Also running in Brooks Green Silence (H-T drop 8mm)  but haven't logged enough miles for a real good feel for them.

BTW going to a lower H-T will work your calves more, just like they say about VFF's and other minimalist type running so you may need to ease your way into them.

PS I to am/was a supinator
2010-09-17 3:06 PM

User image

Waikoloa
Great information guys.  I really appreciate it.

2 days ago I ran for the first time since I had to abandon a measly little 10k, and opt for the 5k, mid-run due to foot pain.  I had severe pain for days.  So in the run 2 days ago, on a treadmill, I decided to easy into forefoot running.  Only 20 minutes.  Should have been 10!  I'm still feeling it in my calf's, but the foot pain is nonexistent. 

2010-09-17 3:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
Hawaiimike - 2010-09-05 6:44 AM

Finally time to set fire to the old Nikes.  2 pairs of Nike in the last year, and on both I had huge blisters on the Achilles tendon part of my heel.  Even with the laces way tight, the shoes just could not keep my foot stable.  Add to that the stress fracture, (too much too soon), and it's finally time to get some real running shoes, and maybe a new running style.

So after some research, and looking at 4 old pairs of shoes, it appears that I am an under-pronater (supination).  While I see TONS of shoes for overpronation, I see nothing marketed for supinators.  As with most supinators, my heel strikes first, and I have very high arches.  With the new injury, and the recent trend leading to the idea that getting rid of the heel strike will likely result in fewer injuries, I am looking for guidance.

It appears that Newton and Zoot are shoes developed for midfoot or forefoot running.  Saucony, I'm not sure.  The vids on their website all seem to have people literally slamming their heels into the ground.

Any shoe ideas (for when I can run without pain again in 2 months)?

Trying to change your running style may cause more injury than just changing your shoes. One you have been doing since you were able, the other you've been wearing for one year. Just sayin'. On film, I'm a really severe pronator yet I'm injury free for years and years after I switched out of the big clunkers to something a little 'less'. I'm not trying to go all 'vibram five fingers/Born to run' on you. Just keep an open mind when trying on shoes.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Zoot, Newton, Saucony-Supinator Rss Feed