General Discussion Triathlon Talk » swimmer seeking bike advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-07-22 1:15 PM

Subject: swimmer seeking bike advice
Hey I'm 22, just finished my college swimming career, and am interested in taking up triathlons. I plan on taking this pretty seriously so I'm wondering how much should I be looking to spend on a bike? Are the differences between a lower end and upper end real significant and worth the investment? Are there any other accessories that are must haves for training? Sorry to sound so ignorant.

Also, are there any good resources on how to begin bike training (books, magazines, websites)?

thanks a lot.

2005-07-22 1:31 PM
in reply to: #204844

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: RE: swimmer seeking bike advice

I plan on taking this pretty seriously so I'm wondering how much should I be looking to spend on a bike?

How much do you have? Add $1000 to that. How seriously do you want to take this? Entry level road bike will cost you ~$500, you coud probably spend $10K without problem. First step: establish a budget, step 2, educate yourself, step three, shop your a$$ off and compare.

Are the differences between a lower end and upper end real significant and worth the investment?

Yes. But you do get to the point of diminishing returns wher you're paying more for minimal weight savings that you are for real efficiencies. I'd recommend you get at least an Ultegra-level bike if you plan to take "this pretty seriously." Then invest in wheels rather than more bike. Of course, if you have the budget, go for it all.

Are there any other accessories that are must haves for training?

Clipless pedals and triathlon cycling shoes are a must, aerobars as well.

2005-07-22 1:53 PM

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane

There's an old "proverb" that you should spend a dollar or less per mile for each mile you ride in a year.

there are a few price points where the bikes are substantially similar in terms of weight, and component quality

<$500 is pretty rare for a raceable bike

$500-$800 you find some entry-level road bikes here. These will have heavier frames, and lesser componentry, but they will be quite servicable and safe

$800-$1000 is a pretty competitive price point for budget racer type bikes, occasionally you find a piece or two of eye-candy componentry (maybe an Ultegra rear deraileur, or a carbon bladed fork)

$1000-$1500 Here you'll find bikes that are made to be raced and a significant jump in component quality, frames start to get  lighter, there are frame materials besides aluminum available

$1500-$2500 This price range I think represents a top-down rather than a bottom-up approach. Here you see bikes that are substantially the same as those that cost twice as much, except some of the high-zoot bits are replaced with less exotic stuff

$2500-$5000 Damn fine bikes, essentially what the pros ride, in some cases exactly what the pros ride.

$5000 and up......as good as it gets.

Make sure to budget for helmet, tools, pump, shoes, computer, etc.

A lot of folks reccommend Joe Friel's "cyclist's training bible" (I am not 100% sure of the title.

2005-07-22 3:45 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
Smyrna, Georgia

I started on a $300 hybrid that my future hubby bought me for a college graduation gift.  I needed something better so my in-laws offered $1k for a bike for a b-day gift (!!!!!).  I found a used '01 Trek 2200 w/cat eye computer for $750.  I have since added speedplay pedals, clipless tri shoes & 2 new seats (I passed the first one to my hubby when I upgraded).  You will also have to spend $ for bike clothing, helmet, gloves, drink holders, etc. so it can really add up. 

Anyway, I love my bike.  It retailed for ~$1,800 new and was kept up pretty well.  I'm doing okay without the aerobars, but the clipless pedals are fantastic and I wished I hadn't gone so long without them.

I think a well-kept used road bike is the way to go, especially starting out.  When I upgraded to a road bike, I just didn't know enough about bikes in general and how road bikes feel to make a really good decision about what I would like best in the end.  I mean, I felt hunched over and uncomfortable on all of them. ;-)

If/when I decide to upgrade again, it will be to a tri bike.  Fortunately, Hubby is my same height so I'll pass down my bike to him.  The best thing, though, will be that I'll finally know enough about bikes and how I like them to feel that I'll be able to make a good decision with such a large wad of cash.

2005-07-22 8:19 PM

New user
The better the bike the better it will be for you in the long run. If you plan on being "pretty serious" then i would suggest something with a carbon frame and w/ ultrega and up for a drivetrain, and get yourself some nice wheels (those will run you 750-1400$). If you plan to get "serious' then I would suggest getting a tri specific bike. Don't forget to budget clothes (about 50$ for a jersey and 60~80 for shorts, 100-150 for shoes, 30-50 for a helmet and cold weather clothes if you plan to ride through some of the cold weather months)Your also going to want aero bars(70-100). If it gets cold your going to need a trainer to ride indoor (150~400). BEFORE you do anything though do more research than what you did for a semester at college and shop around. One thing that you should leave out of the question is buying a bike online. You don't know how it feels or anything so buy it at your local bike shop. These are a few things that your going to find "serious" triathletes using. To adjust this to a more manageable budget like I said do a ton of research and adjust accordingly. This is not a cheap sport but think of it as an investment in the quality of your life . Keep at it and we could be seeing you at Kona one day. Welcome to tri life.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » swimmer seeking bike advice Rss Feed