United States
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 50m 43s
Overall Rank = 58/440
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 7/40
Pre-race routine:

Got up around 5am, got dressed fixed an Ezekiel 4.9 English muffin with PB and Jelly. Had about 32 oz. of water. Drove over to Callaway and found a spot in transition since it was first come first serve..
Event warmup:

Got bike on the rack and set up my gear.. At 7 am had a Gatorade pro 01 drink. Did a nice easy run to body marking.. Went back and made sure everything was in place.. Went to pre race meeting at 7:45 am.
Swim
  • 15m 43s
  • 1094 yards
  • 01m 26s / 100 yards
Comments:

Got up to the front of the line on the far right.. Was able to stay clear of others. My wave 19-39 was the first to go.. Got off to a good start with really nobody around me.. Was able to get into a pretty good rhythm still only feel comfortable breathing on my left side..Overall I felt like I had a good swim was unable to train as much in the water due to work..
What would you do differently?:

Just continue to work on my swim and bi-lateral breathing.. Work on drills this off season and hope to see big improvements.
Transition 1
  • 01m 28s
Comments:

Set bike up in the first row close to the bike out.. Was a straight line out of the water to my bike.. Sunglasses,helmet,shoes on with no problem.. Ran to bike out, mounted and was gone..

Need to do some drills with the shoes already clipped in and see how I do..
Bike
  • 52m 17s
  • 19 miles
  • 21.80 mile/hr
Comments:

This was my first race with the TT bike I borrowed.. Overall had a great ride was able to maintain a great pace...Got slowed down a few times by cars due to this not being a closed course.. The cars caused me to have to pass them when it was clear..( not fun)

There is always room for improvement...Just continue to get seat time a push myself to get faster..
Transition 2
  • 01m 19s
Comments:

Got off my bike and one shoe came unclipped with any hesitation I kept going. Decided to go sock less. Racked the bike,shoes on, and put visor and race number on while running out of T2.

Learn to get off the bike better while it is moving..
Run
  • 40m
  • 5 miles
  • 08m  min/mile
Comments:

Had a good run for me was able to get my pace down each mile according to my Garmin..I was able to push myself for the last 1.5 miles.. Overall I fell into a good pace, had some stomach pain but was able to push through it. Had one hammer gel at the beginning of the room..

Just continue to work on my run drills where hopefully I can get my total run time down to a 7 min mile one day.. can't complain because I have improved each event..
Post race
Warm down:

Just did some stretching..Had some water, banana and a cliff bar..Chilled out with some friends and watch some other participants finish the race..

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Had a slight cold but was able to push through all stages of the event with no problems.. Had some stomach issues but I think it was from the cold meds..

Event comments:

Overall this is a great place to hold a race... I just think they need to find a way to closed the bike course to traffic.. There are some blind spots on the bike leg and with the cars could be dangerous..

Last updated: 2010-08-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:43 | 1094 yards | 01m 26s / 100yards
Age Group: 13/40
Overall: 128/440
Performance: Average
Suit: n/a
Course: Swim course was a wave start that went counterclockwise in Robin Lake.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:28
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:52:17 | 19 miles | 21.80 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/40
Overall: 28/440
Wind: Little
Course: Course was two 9.5 mile loops through Callaway Gardens, several 90 degree turns, a few rolling hills, but for the most part it is flat.. A good bike course..
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:19
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:40:00 | 05 miles | 08m  min/mile
Age Group: 19/40
Overall: 153/440
Course: Run out about 1.5 miles the come back for a flat run to the finish line. Run course was in the shade the entire run...
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-09-06 5:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Georgia
Subject: Callaway Gardens Triathlon

2010-09-06 8:15 PM
in reply to: #3084092

Subject: RE: Callaway Gardens Triathlon
Hello ! I am also a new member. Would a newcomer be warmly welcome here? Good day you guy !

2010-09-07 2:39 PM

User image

Expert
MI
You just keep getting better and better Tim!  Nice run!  I'm glad you got a properly timed (and organized) race.
2010-09-07 7:53 PM

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Samatha said it quite well!  Great job Tim, the improvements keep coming which is awesome to see!

Sorry to hear you had some issues with cars.  That is not cool.  You may want to let the race director know about this so that maybe they can do something about it for next year.  But great job on the tri bike!

Really impressed with your run!  Clearly you keep making significant improvements here.  This will be the key to you getting on the podium.  If you keep getting faster on your run, its just going to be a matter of time.

Way to battle through some stomach issues.  Its really hard to say what caused them if you weren't feeling too well.  That was probably it, but too many variables to know for sure.

Congrats once again Tim! 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Callaway Gardens Triathlon Rss Feed