DQ Events
72F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 12m 4s
Overall Rank = 136/380
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Went to sleep around 11:30PM. Woke up at 4:30AM and ate a bagel w/ peanut butter, drank some Heed, took a shower to loosen up a little, got dressed, grabbed my gear and waited for my cuz to get to my house. We left the house a little after 5AM. Marlton is about a 15 minute drive south on I-95 and then into NJ for another 20 minutes. Got to Marlton Lakes right after 6AM and waited behind a handful of other cars there to park and unload.

There were probably about 35-40 people already setting up transition when we got there. Still - there were plenty of end spots on the racks near the bike out. It took me almost a good hour to set up and get settled. By the time I got back from the toilet it was almost ready for the pre-race announcements/meeting.
Event warmup:

I didn't have time to take the bike out or run so I grabbed my goggles, cap and wetsuit and started out walking to the swim start my a buddy of mine we met there and my cousin. We got about 200 yards from the swim start and I jumped in the water and swam the rest of the way - got there one minute before the first wave went off.
Swim
  • 07m 14s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

Well...i had a goal of about 6 minutes flat and I missed it. I lined up with my cousin Peter towards the back left and waited for the signal. This is about the 3rd race this summer I haven't come in contact with another person's body part during the swim. Don't know if it is because my first 100 yards has gotten better or everyone is just happening to stay away from me. Navigation was pretty good. So was my breathing. Not a lot of problems with either. It just felt like I could not get a good pull of kick going though. Was actually hitting a lot of underwater debris the location I was swimming in. I was actually suprised the lake was as deep as it was - with all the dry, hot weather I figured the water levels would be lower. Pleasant suprise. Water temp was just right too. Reached the other side and kept swimming when most people were still walking. Got out of the water and had more trouble with my rip-away zipper - just like at Timberman.
What would you do differently?:

I don't know. 29th place. I know I can swim faster. I have in the pool. The wetsuit should help with the times. I guess it's back into the pool come January and focus on speedwork and drills.
Transition 1
  • 01m 59s
Comments:

Pretty uneventfull transition. Suit took an extra 5 seconds to get off of my heels and I got to the bike mount line for the 2nd consecutive race and fumbled while putting my race belt on.

not much.
Bike
  • 31m 45s
  • 11 miles
  • 20.79 mile/hr
Comments:

I figured after gutting out the hilly course at Timberman two weeks ago I would be prepared to blow through this course. Seems I overestimated just a tad. Although it was faster by roughly 60 seconds this year I had a lot more trouble with this course than I thought I would. My goal of 28 minutes and a 23 mph pace all went POOF the last 3 or 4 miles of the course. I just couldn't push my legs the way I wanted to. Not enough mashing like I normally do and a lot more higher cadence pedaling which dropped my power waaaaay down and my pace as well.

I just dropped the ball on this course. My goal was to do it in 28 or 30 minutes. I pretty much gave up on some of the rollers and changed to a bigger cog on the back and spun up - didn't push myself enough. Started out half decent but couldn't keep it up. Going to have to increase my saddle time this fall and early next spring.
Transition 2
  • 01m 10s
Comments:

Another uneventful T2 - did another running dismount without any trouble (unlike last year's T2 bellyflopp). Actually racked my bike next to my cousin's - so I was one rack off. grabbed my shoes and my hat and I was out of transition.

Rack my bike on the correct rack.
Run
  • 29m 59s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

Legs felt ok leaving T2 and tried to keep a decent turnover/cadence. Didn't feel really good until the final 1.1 miles though where my pace was probably a little closer to 8 something/mile. Finished pretty strong and felt really, really good after finishing. Felt like I left a LOT out on the course. I should feel like I'm going to pass out after finishing but I felt like I could go run another 3 or 4 miles pretty easily.

Speedwork, speedwork, speedwork. With some speedwork thrown in with some speedwork. And again....for about the 5th year - LOSE MORE WEIGHT!!!

Oh yeah - I haven't learned to race. Many of these races seem to fall into the "oh-I'm using it like a training session" instead of going all out. I don't think I have ever felt any lactic acid either - ever! Something else to keep in mind. A lot of improvement in my performance will be mental.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some oranges and a bottle of water and watched some of the other finishers. My cuz finished 9 minutes ahead of me with a #32 overall placing (way to go Pete). Went back out on the course and helped pace my buddy Steve to the finish line. Went down to the water to chat and hang out.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Weight. Mental level. Focus.

Event comments:

This race as well as Stone Harbor (when I can actually get into it) and NJ State are my three favorite races to compete in.

Kudos also to my buddy Steve who sacrificed about 10 minutes of his race time on the bike to stop and assist a fellow competitor. She had crashed on the bike course, tangled herself up in barb wire and dislocated her elbow. Steve stayed with her until the race director could get a support crew out on the course to take care of everything. He should have some good karma coming his way.

Last updated: 2010-03-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:14 | 440 yards | 01m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 29/380
Performance: Good
Suit: Quintanna Roo fullsuit
Course: You swim a straight line from point A to point B across the lake. Terrific course.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:59
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No