World Triathlon Corporation
HOTF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 15h 18m 6s
Overall Rank = 1729/2500
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 3:30AM and had four Ensures, a bagle with peanut butter, and a banana. Gathered up my pre-packed morning bag and special needs bags and headed off to get in line. I stopped by transition at about 4:40AM and they were already taking special needs bags so I dropped them off and continued on to the swim start line. Made it in line close to the front and when they consolidated the line, we were just a few feet away from the dock.
Event warmup:

If sitting in line from 4:45AM to 7AM counts as a warm up, I did it.
Swim
  • 1h 17m 7s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

The gun went off and we made it into the water in about 2 mins. The water was warm and being river water it was also green. Visibility was practically non existant. Navigation was easy due to the there being a bank on both sides of us until the turn. Almost everyone had plenty of space and there was less physical contact during the swim than I would have thought given the size of the race. The turn at the bouy was the most crowded part of the swim, and from there it was just swimming down the river, maintaining our distance from the parked barges and try not to hit one of the bridges. The volunteers at the swim finish were fantastic and they were way down in the water to help us up onto the steps and out of the water.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing; for me it was a good swim.
Transition 1
  • 10m 15s
Comments:

I took my time in transition. It was going to be a long day on the bike and I wanted to be sure that I did not forget anything. The volunteers were very helpful.

Put more sunscreen on my arms and the space between my knee braces and my bike shorts. I have some very unique patterned sunburns.
Bike
  • 7h 03m 26s
  • 112 miles
  • 15.87 mile/hr
Comments:

Overall, the bike course was not too bad.

The ride started out rather nicely along river road, the temperature was not hot (yet), the scenery was pleasant, and the spectators were very excited. It was a great way to start a ride. The first hells, er.....hills (sorry Frued-ian slip there), hit about 10 miles into the bike course. This first hill was a good example of what we could expect for the rest of the course, it wasn't huge, or had a steep grade, but it was there and you just had to ride it.

The out and back section was a lot of fun, the downhills did not have the terror factor that had been built up in the pre race briefing, and the opposite climbs were not impossible. The devil cavorting on the outbound up-hill was amusing and added a surreal air to the day. I think I acutally shouted out "Get thee behind me Satan" (not very original I know, but it was all I could think of at the time) and then of course I began singing "Satan is my motor" by Cake. It seemed very appropirate at the time.

The approach and pass through La Grange was great, the spectators seemed as through they were having a good time and the excitement and energy in the air was almost a physical force. The remainder of the loop was just a series of up and down hills and doing some serious gear changing on the bike. That does bring something to mind, why is it that people who are riding bikes that cost obscene amounts and appear to be in outstanding physical condition, have so much trouble riding up hills and changing gears at the appropriate time? I don't know if I have a different perspective due to my mountain biking background, or maybe I just ride "wrong", but to wait until you are almost stopped on the hill and then attempt to downshift while the gears are under an immense load seems a bit off to me, but I digress.

The second loop was pretty much like the first, except for some reason the hills seemed larger, harder, and more frequent. I saw a bunch of riders dropping out due to heat.

The main thing about the ride that really annoyed/irritated me were the cracks on 42, I seriously thought that I was going to shake something loose on my bike.

Spend more time hill training. I did not have that much trouble with them physically, but after 5 hours in the hills, they really start to wear on you mentally.....as in "when are these &#@*& hills going to end".

Transition 2
  • 14m 36s
Comments:

Once again, took my time and got ready for the run. I did get to witness some nice spontaneous vomiting as I was changing, but other than that, the changing tent was fine. The volunteer that was helping me was great.
Run
  • 6h 32m 41s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 14m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

The run was fine, other than the fact that I hate to run...I know, if you hate to run, why do an Ironman.

The first 10 miles was OK, but after that my knees really started complaining (I have abused my knees over the year through the Army and 15 years of mountain bike wrecks) and my feet started to blister due to the massive amounts of sweat and water filling my shoes.

The water stations were great and after dark when the chicken broth came out......I liked chicken broth before, but I LOVE it now. After so many hours of sweet gels, drinks, etc, the salty goodness of the broth was like heaven.

I cannot complain about the run, except I don't run well and thats about it.

The finish was un-believable with the lights and music. It really capped off an outstanding experience.

Maybe use different shoes that drain the water instead of pooling it.
Post race
Warm down:

Get food.

Get more food.

Walk back to the hotel and get more food.

Luckily, my wife had already collected my bike and bags, so all we had to do was go back to the hotel and go to bed.

It was a good day.

Event comments:

I would have given the race a "Best" rating, except for the water stations started running out of water on the ride and run course.

Last updated: 2010-09-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:17:07 | 4224 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 151/
Overall: 916/2500
Performance: Good
Suit: X-Terra speed suit
Course: Up a channel between Towhead Island and the shore, then turn at the bouy and downriver to the swim exit at transition.
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 10:15
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
07:03:26 | 112 miles | 15.87 mile/hr
Age Group: 285/
Overall: 1642/2500
Wind: Headwind
Course: Flat along the river for about 10 miles, then hilly (the phrase 'never ending' comes to mind in regard to the hills) for about 90 miles then back flat along the river for 10 miles to transition
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 14:36
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
06:32:41 | 26.2 miles | 14m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 287/
Overall: 1728/2500
Performance: Average
Course: One hill (bridge) and then flat-flat-flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-09-08 11:29 AM

User image

Regular
Marietta, GA
Subject: Ironman Louisville

2010-09-08 12:00 PM
in reply to: #3087326

User image

Expert
CenTex
Subject: RE: Ironman Louisville
Great job on the race!  It was a day of survival and there was much carnage to be witnessed by the side of the road!  It's funny you mentioned people on the climbs.  I ran into more issues on the descents with people abruptly pulling out but not passing and causing me to brake suddenly to avoid climbing up their nether regions.  But I digress...

I know that many, myself included, found the way of the blister on that day.  Good job pushing through and making it to the finish! 
2010-09-08 12:37 PM
in reply to: #3087326

User image

Expert
Johns Creek, Georgia
Subject: RE: Ironman Louisville
Nice way to do it man.  The Devil was funny as all can be to me..it made that section a lot easier.  Congrats!!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Louisville Rss Feed