General Discussion Race Reports! » Great Illini Half-Iron Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Great Illini Half-Iron Distance Triathlon - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Neoga, Illinois
United States
Mattoon MultiSport
Total Time = 6h 04m 10s
Overall Rank = 55/116
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 6/10
Pre-race routine:

Stayed at the Comfort Suites in Mattoon... 25 minutes away. My beautiful wife dropped me off at transition, then drove back for more sleep. (Good thing her father came, too, or we would have had to put the sleeping kids in the car! It was a real family affair.)

Picked up packet (just the t-shirt and plain white cap, really) and chip. Got marked. Set up transition quickly.
Event warmup:

First in water for warm-up. Water temperature was warmer than air. Stood in water right up until race time.

The pre-race talk was super brief, but did announce the waves (basically, all men in first wave, then women and team in second wave 3 minutes after).
Swim
  • 39m 20s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

Water felt great. I hadn't swam a yard since Racine 70.3 in July. Still, felt good.

The course navigation was weird, though. On the turnaround for the first loop, I thought I was heading toward the correct buoy (big, orange thing), but it turned out to the one sitting in the boat for the Olympic distance course! The second time around, there was a boat spectator that wasn't there previously. It wasn't blocking the way, really. Just kind of threw me off.
What would you do differently?:

Learn how to navigate. Know the course.
Transition 1
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

I'm pretty good with transitions, usually. Suit came off quick, then put helmet and sunglasses on. Shoes already clipped in.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 3h 02m 44s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.39 mile/hr
Comments:

Nice course, overall. No climbs whatsoever. (I think the biggest climb was the overpass for Hwy 57.) The thing that made this challenging was the strong wind coming out of the NW. GREAT when heading east or south, but a real leg-shredder when heading into the wind.

Definitely slowed on second loop.

Road conditions were fine, but there were some areas with gravel on the road. Also, traffic was not closed. Since this is a truly rural area, this was not much of a factor. I did see one HUGE farm tractor (at least 2 stories tall, with the largest tires I've ever seen) at one point on the course. Luckily, I was headed the opposite way and not behind this monster.

A more aero set-up would likely help, but just more training would help more.
Transition 2
  • 00m 14s
Comments:

Not my real T2 time!

Coming into T2, I saw my family and some friends, and I totally forgot to dismount before the timing mats! Some guy ran over to me and said that the mats didn't record me coming into transition. I put on my shoes, then ran to the "bike in" mats, then directly to the "run out."

Actually dismount my bike at the proper time. A dismount line would have been a good reminder.
Run
  • 2h 20m 37s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

My run generally stinks, but this time was surprisingly an improvement over my last HIM. I actually ran the course, with only a brief stop for stretching after mile 1, and brief stops at (every) water stop for a quick drink. I just can't run and drink from cups...

Run more bricks. While an improvement over my last race of this distance, the run portion was a good 30 minutes over my stand-alone half marathon PR.
Post race
Warm down:

Ran across the finish with my girls, which was fun. Got a Coke and pizza, then took off. Stopped at the Cracker Barrel in Mattoon for lunch.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training, or lack thereof.

Event comments:

Nice, small race. Not very fancy, but well run. Super friendly volunteers, families and racers.

I agree with other reports: this is definitely about the athletic endeavor, not about the goody bag/sponsor/post-race party. I would do this again next year.

Last updated: 2010-09-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:20 | 2112 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/10
Overall: 53/116
Performance: Average
Suit: full
Course: 2 loop of rectangular course, with no need to exit water for second loop.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:13
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:02:44 | 56 miles | 18.39 mile/hr
Overall: 48/116
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong
Course: 2 loops, with one out-and-back segment. Mostly flat. Lots of wind coming out of NW that day.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:14
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:20:37 | 13.1 miles | 10m 44s  min/mile
Overall: 81/116
Performance: Below average
Course: 2 loops, totally flat. Again, some wind to deal with.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2010-09-09 10:54 AM

Subject: Great Illini Half-Iron Distance Triathlon

2010-09-09 11:04 AM
in reply to: #3089228

User image

Extreme Veteran
Not Quite DFL
Subject: RE: Great Illini Half-Iron Distance Triathlon
I was there observing - there were several people that got confused on that first loop - apparently there was a big orange thing close to shore that people saw.  Glad you enjoyed it - I can attest - it is windy here! 

Good job on your performance.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Great Illini Half-Iron Distance Triathlon Rss Feed