General Discussion Race Reports! » Aflac Iron Girl Boulder Women’s Triathlon Event Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Aflac Iron Girl Boulder Women’s Triathlon Event - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Boulder, Colorado
United States
Aflac Iron Girl
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 46m 40s
Overall Rank = 238/619
Age Group = 30-35
Age Group Rank = 52/120
Pre-race routine:

First race back after pregnancy -- exactly 4 months post-partum. I stupidly signed up not knowing what a rough recovery I would have. I had only swam once since I was 36 weeks pregnant (swam the whole pregnancy, though), had a handful of runs on board, and had 2 20+ mile bike rides from a few weeks prior as training....in addition to P90X over my lunch hour. Not exactly stellar triathlon training. I knew I would finish, but I also knew it wasn't going to be pretty.

Am embarassed to say my pre-race routine included pumping, driving, setting up in transition, pumping again, and then waiting around chatting with friends. What a difference a year makes.
Event warmup:

I swam a quick lap, confirmed that I could still swim, and then just went for it.
Swim
  • 08m 55s
  • 450 meters
  • 01m 59s / 100 meters
Comments:

I suppose I should be thankful I was able to fit into my wetsuit. This was a gutbuster, for sure, and my lack of conditioning becoming quickly apparent after my first 100 meter sprint. I started out in front, but began to be passed as I ran out of steam. It was a nasty swim, too....girls pushing and hitting. My 18th race, and definitely the worst swim start I've ever experienced. Probably because they crammed us all into a narrow gate at the start and we weren't able to spread out on our way to the first buoy.

At any rate, I started panicking at the halfway point when I realized I was out of breathe and wasn't sure why I was out there in the first place. I couldn't find a rhythm, and my arms were tired from fighting my super tight wetsuit.

I have never been so happy to get out of the water! I was so happy I even ran UP the beach and through the parking lot to the timing mat. I wasn't too unhappy with my time, either, considering the lack of training.
What would you do differently?:

1. Train
2. Lose more baby weight so I could fit more comfortably into wetsuit
3. Calm down!
Transition 1
  • 01m 24s
Comments:

Had an awesome transition, and once over the mat, I promptly ran into the girl in front of me, who had stopped for no reason. I fell down onto my bike, getting my foot caught in the spokes of my front wheel. I was pissed!!! I had to take my shoe off and then put it back on in order to get uncaught, but then when I decided to get on the bike, I discovered that I'd knocked my chain off! In the end, this likely added a few minutes to my bike time which I dearly wanted back.

Look up!
Bike
  • 58m 50s
  • 17.2 miles
  • 17.54 mile/hr
Comments:

Was so happy to be out on my bike, but my butt hurt almost immediately. :)Somebody needs some time in the saddle! My last time on this particular course was 5 weeks out from my knee surgery, so I knew I could do it....my goal was to stay under an hour.

The first 1/3 of the course was really hard on me. It was all a false flat, and I couldn't muster more than 14 mph. Feeling that I was working hard and still not being able to go faster really made me feel bad about myself. But I kept saying that it was a miracle I was out there, so that helped a tiny bit.

Once we hit the downhill, I really just stuck it in the hardest gear and knocked it out. I thought I was flying and literally didn't go under 21 mph for the majority of the trip back. I didn't get passed except for a cat and mouse game with another competitor....kept things fun. I just loved being out there -- it made it all worthwhile!

But looking back, that first part of the course really killed me. With better conditioning, I think I could see some marked improvements out there. Next year, when baby is bigger and Mom can get away from him more often!

1. TRAIN (see a pattern here?)
2. Push harder in the beginning, because the back half of the course is relatively easy.
3. Don't fall into other competitors and handicap yourself before the bike starts.
Transition 2
  • 01m 8s
Comments:

Nothing to it. Felt good coming off the bike, other than the fact that my pelvis felt like someone had kicked me good and hard!
Run
  • 36m 24s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 11m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

Disaster. But is it really shocking? I'm 20 lbs over my old race weight and totally deconditioned. I did what I could, which wasn't much. I kept a 2 min run/1 min walk interval until the turnaround, where I sucked it up and just ran as much as I could at a very slow pace. I had cardiovascular difficulties, but I also was mentally legitimizing my walking by saying, "I had a baby 4 months ago." It was counterproductive, I think.

But that finish line? I still love it.....I didn't realize how much I missed it this past year. How I thought having a baby would perhaps dim that fire in me? How I worried that having him would make me lose my identity and take my sport away from me? But that finish line made me realize I had only lost fitness -- I was still the same me, and it still motivates me as much now as it ever did before. I sprinted across the finish line like old times and smiled for the camera. It's good to be back!

1. Don't get pregnant. Ha! Not only did the extra weight slow me down, but you guessed it, lack of training.
2. Find a new mantra. Something like, "I love running!" Or, "the lbs are melting away with every step!"

Post race
Warm down:

I walked around and drank 2 water bottles, then chatted with some friends before forcing down some scrambled eggs and fruit. My body was wrecked for days afterwards, although we're going to keep blaming that one on the baby. One day I will be able to race again and not feel like I'd been bludgeoned in the pelvis!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Need I go here?

Event comments:

Another excellent race by Iron Girl! The course is always gorgeous, but Iron Girl did a great job and it was a really fun event and beginner-friendly. It's not huge like a Danskin, so it's nice for even experienced female triathletes. Overall, had an excellent time and am so glad Iron Girl allowed race day packet pickup and bike check-in....some of us can't get off work in time to get to Boulder by 7pm on a Friday night, so it was a great option.

Last updated: 2010-08-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:55 | 450 meters | 01m 59s / 100meters
Age Group: 25/120
Overall: 126/619
Performance: Below average
Suit: full
Course:
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:24
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:58:50 | 17.2 miles | 17.54 mile/hr
Age Group: 43/120
Overall: 208/619
Performance: Below average
My Garmin (on autopause) had me at 56 minutes for the ride.....so my "accident" out of transition cost me roughly 3 minutes!!!
Wind: None
Course: Gorgeous.....false flat for first 1/3 of course, then all downhill and fast....
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Bad
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:08
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:36:24 | 03.11 miles | 11m 42s  min/mile
Age Group: 83/120
Overall: 400/619
Performance: Bad
Course: Out and back over the Dam.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-09-09 5:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Douglas County
Subject: Aflac Iron Girl Boulder Women’s Triathlon Event
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Aflac Iron Girl Boulder Women’s Triathlon Event Rss Feed