General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Have you done a HIM? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-07-23 5:46 PM

Veteran
Marietta, GA
Subject: Have you done a HIM?
I'm still contemplating the South Carolina HIM in October. I've got almost 12 solid weeks of training on the books and things seem to be going well. I've done a mini, a Sprint and will do an Oly next weekend, then another Sprint and another Oly.

I would love to get some feedback from some of you that have done HIMs. Check my logs for the 2 months that I've posted.

1. Other than running, am I doing the right balance of training?
2. Other than go faster, is there anything else I need to do?
3. I'm still working on endurance, should I continue or begin adding intervals for run and bike.
4. SC HIM is 12 weeks away - that will mean I've been training consistently for 24 weeks. Do I need to take a couple of weeks as a break to keep fresh, or is the HIM so demanding that I should continue training up to the HIM.
5. Should I just accept the fact that this is my first year of triathlon, and put a HIM on the goal list for next year.

I asked a similar question a couple of months ago, before I started using the training log. So now there is some training basis for evaluation.

Thanks for your input.

2005-07-23 6:43 PM
in reply to: #205593

Extreme Veteran
San Clemente, California
Subject: RE: Have you done a HIM?
I had a thread on here about a month ago about the same topic. I am also in my first season, and have done three sprints and two Olys, and have my first HIM in about 7 weeks. I haven't even run 13.1 miles yet, and have never biked over 40 miles, but I'm working up to it and feeling up to the task. I'm running 10 miles once a week, 8 miles once a week, and a fast 3 miles after my long bike ride (which is currently at about 40 miles). I'll up my run distance a mile each week until I'm doing 14 by late August before I start tapering slowly.
Seems like you're about the same, but I only looked at the past week of logs. I would say to increase your run volume. You're swimming way more than me (I do about 4,000 yards/week), but I'd say you can pull it off no worries. You would want to be able to run 13.1 without too much struggle at least a month before...that's my best guess. Just up your mileage slowly but surely. Don't stress too much on your run pace. You just want to finish the race. Ultimately, you have to know you can do it. My whole thing was that I didn't want to "waste" my current level of fitness and wait until next season to try a HIM, so I'm going for it.
2005-07-23 7:11 PM

User image

Expert
Los Gatos, CA
This is my first year as well, I have done sprints and have an Oly on the schedule but no HIM this year....so, I picked your option #5. Anybody can attempt a race but I was not willing to take on a race without adequate preparation and have to gut it out just to say I did it. What's the point, beating the snot out of your body in the process? It's a personal choice. You already know that your running volume is no where near where it should be and that will be the hardest part for most people. Good luck!
2005-07-23 8:44 PM

Expert
NC Illinois
I've never done a HIM, but I have done some HERS. Okay, I couldn't resist that one.
-----------------------------

IMO, you're too much swim, not enough bike. Most breakdowns I see involve something like a 25% Swim, 25% run, and 50% bike training time allottment.

You're swimming more than you are running and almost as much as you are biking.

Looking at your logs, you seem decently strong on the bike (i.e., 16mph for 47miles), but the run pace looks a little slow (compared to swim and bike).

I have never done a 1/2IM, and am preparing for one on 9/10 ... but I feel confident saying that the run (for us newbie-types) will be murder. Heck, the run on an Olympic is not picnic, and the 1/2IM is twice as long (with a bonus mile).

In short, I can't see the swim and run giving you much problem ... but that 13.1mile is gonna be brutal (for you and me both). Maybe if you see how bad my 1/2IM kicks my butt, you'll say "I'm doing it ... I can't possibly do as bad as he did!"

I say go for it. Establish a time to beat next year.

2005-07-24 12:11 PM
in reply to: #205607

Veteran
Marietta, GA
TriBodyboarder - 2005-07-23 7:43 PM

I had a thread on here about a month ago about the same topic. I am also in my first season, and have done three sprints and two Olys, and have my first HIM in about 7 weeks. I haven't even run 13.1 miles yet, and have never biked over 40 miles, but I'm working up to it and feeling up to the task. I'm running 10 miles once a week, 8 miles once a week, and a fast 3 miles after my long bike ride (which is currently at about 40 miles). I'll up my run distance a mile each week until I'm doing 14 by late August before I start tapering slowly.
Seems like you're about the same, but I only looked at the past week of logs. I would say to increase your run volume. You're swimming way more than me (I do about 4,000 yards/week), but I'd say you can pull it off no worries. You would want to be able to run 13.1 without too much struggle at least a month before...that's my best guess. Just up your mileage slowly but surely. Don't stress too much on your run pace. You just want to finish the race. Ultimately, you have to know you can do it. My whole thing was that I didn't want to "waste" my current level of fitness and wait until next season to try a HIM, so I'm going for it.

I'm running on Hal Higdon's 12 week Half Marathon Plan. Sounds like I'm several weeks before I get to the run stage that you are at. Based on my training plan for the next two months, I should be ready to run 13.1 a week or two before the race...just don't know how it will go after biking 56 miles. Today I'm pretty beat after 45 miles..but then a month ago I was equally beat after 25 miles so my endurance is improving.
2005-07-24 4:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Germantown, MD
Looking at your logs it looks like you should have no problem finishing a HIM in 12 weeks. Just up the bike volume, keep swim volume consistent, and try to up the run pace.

One suggestion might be to target an early season HIM next year (like April). That way you don't have to do your peak mileage in the summer (which I imagine is frickin' brutal in SC). That might be one reason for your slow run paces, especially if you're trying to maintain HR control. I've found if its HHH out, my zone 3/4 pace is little more than a shuffle.

2005-07-24 7:45 PM

Extreme Veteran
San Clemente, California
If you want it, you can pull it off. Even if you have to walk for some of the run. Just watch your pacing on race day. Be sure to save some for the run/shuffle/walk. I did 40 miles on the bike today and then got off and ran a quick 2 in the midday sun. Felt pretty good, so I'm amped. You can do it!
2005-07-25 7:23 AM

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane

I did my first HIM in May. I had completed the Hal Higdon beginners marathon program for a late Feb. marathon, so I came into the race with a lot of run base. (and not nearly enough bike). I did, in fact finish the race, but it was not pretty (6:04). The run HURT A LOT. I had to walk a lot of the last miles. I think that this was because I simply did not have enough bike miles. I had a great bike leg (2:45) and I paid for it on the run. I did carry some decent bike base over from last year (2700 miles) but I was pretty short on my milage going into May.

I cut-n-pasted my training totals for 2005 leading up to the race below so that you can see what a "just barely finishing" plan looks like.

So, yes you can probably finish the race, but you will hurt. The best advice I could give is to ride a whole lot, and do long rides, lots of long rides. You should be riding 100-150 miles a week with one ride of 3-4 hours every week. One long run each week as well of at least your projected half-marathon time.

Take an ice bath after the race.

My training totals for 1/05-5/05
Jan

B: 112.46 mile - 7h 19m 50s
R: 124.75 mile - 20h 9m 52s
S: 26230.00 yard - 11h 30m

Feb

B: 3.50 mile - 40m
R: 122.65 mile - 19h 4m 12s
S: 17860.00 yard - 8h 41m

March

B: 130.65 mile - 8h 54m
R: 58.35 mile - 8h 32m 10s
S: 25100.00 yard - 11h 15m

April

B: 291.06 mile - 19h 15m 24s
R: 47.25 mile - 6h 51m 46s
S: 18720.00 yard - 7h 54m

2005-07-25 9:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jacksonville, FL
Since you're a "Bronze Member" you also have access to a beginner 1/2 IM training plan on this site. You can download it from this point forward to your race date & use as a training guideline...I am using this plan for my first HIM Oct 22nd w/some modifications based on my personal schedule.
2005-07-25 10:40 AM

User image

Elite
Racine, WI

I did a HIM my first season using the BT plan with modifications, however I several years of distance running, with a 10 mile run every week,  and a couple of years of recreational cycling under my belt.

I looked at your logs and the only thing I see that is disturbing is your longest run this month was around 6 miles.  If your race is in 3 months that isn't a lot of time to comfortably/safely build up a running base to 13 miles (adding 10% of mileage to your long run weekly just barely gets you there), especially when you are woking on biking endurance too.  And you also need to count out 2 of those weeks to taper. So that gives you roughly 10 weeks to train.  

I think you'd be putting yourself at a little risk for an overuse injury.  Which is not to say that it can't, or shouldn't be done!  If I were you I would:

1.  Take a look at the HIM plan on this site. Count backward from your race date...what week of the plan does that put you in?  If you were to start using that plan today, could you reasonably start in that week?   (Not saying you have to use the plan, it's just a guide.  Although I liked it pretty well   )

2.  Don't base it on times...this year just plan to finish.  What "isn't pretty" for one person may be awesome for another.

Edited by CindyK 2005-07-25 10:41 AM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Have you done a HIM? Rss Feed