GA Multisports Productions
84F / 29C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 40m 42s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 9/
Pre-race routine:

I did not have the best week before the race in terms of traditional prep. I had a business trip Wednesday to Friday. Hotel sleep is never very good. On Friday, I was out until 1 AM at a good friends 40th birthday party. While I did not drink more than one glass of wine, it was not good to eat late and stay up that late. I only got 3 hours of sleep! Long drive up compounded the whole prerace setup. I am not making excuses, just documenting for future reference.
Event warmup:

Setup T then wondered down to the beach. I was feeling tight, so I did extra long swim warm up. Felt good when I got done.

Met up with Coldfire and his posse. I spent some time with my ATC teammates and met some new people.
Swim
  • 26m 37s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 37s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was my BEST swim leg of any race. I pushed the first leg to the first buoy hard, did my fancy free - back - free turn (it was at this point I knew I was in for a good day). I drafted perfectly until the next yellow buoy...off two different people, off their hips. Smooth and strong the whole way. The last leg was good, but I did not finish as strongly as I wanted.

This is where the 'tude got surly. I looked down at my time and it was slow. I was PISSED and people at the swim finish knew it (sorry to anyone that heard my commentary). This course was long by 100 -200 yards. Period. Oh well.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. This was a perfect swim for me.
Transition 1
  • 01m 4s
Comments:

Excellent T-1. I was as fast as the fastest. Shoes were on the bike which made a huge difference because there is a longish run to the exit. Also, I ran the swim to T area hard. I passed a few people that were in the T area before me and I got out in front of them. I got past two people that were running with their cleats on. Nice.

I could have been faster in my suit off, helmet on, unracked. I think there is 5 or so seconds there.
Bike
  • 1h 18m 12s
  • 26.1 miles
  • 20.03 mile/hr
Comments:

Good bike compared to my AG peers. I wanted about .5 per mile faster to hit my target. The best part of the bike was thinking the course was much easier than past years. I really hammered a few flat sections. There was a point when four of us in a non-drafting line were hitting 30 MPH. I was spinning smooth and not killing myself. The down side was the few up hill sections that I was painfully slow.

I had one GU, one salt pill and 24 oz of GU Hydration.

I just need more miles and work on power. While I had two good months leading up to the race, I really need 6 good months to play with the FOP boys.
Transition 2
  • 01m 4s
Comments:

I rocked T-2. Feet were out of the shoes, jumped off the bike with speed, and a short run to the rack. I stayed standing to put my shoes on which really helped. I remembered Dan A. telling me that one. I felt strong as I started to run for the exit.

I could have shaved some time with the run to the exit. I had woozie legs and could not move as fast as my mind was screaming.
Run
  • 53m 47s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

I am very happy with the run. I don't care what anyone says, that is a hard 10K course. As I was leaving the run, I was thinking...I have not seen Coldfire yet....new goal: finish before him. I knew he was making up time on me since he had a later swim start. I got going and did not push to hard at the start. I wanted to finish strong and needed to marshal my resources. I told myself run strong for the first 3, then let's see what is in the tank. I saw Coldfire at the 5 mile turn around. Ugh. He is going to get me. I tried to open it up, but no gas in the tank. He got me with .7 left.

While I need more endurance to run faster, I will take this one. Good progress.
Post race
Warm down:

I did not feel as completely destroyed as last year. I hung with Coldfire at the finish, then got something to eat. I packed up and headed out.

My result was a 2 min. PR for Tug.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Power on the bike & run endurance. With that said, I made good progress.

Event comments:

Two negatives - long swim course & parking was way too far from the start line.

Last updated: 2010-01-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:37 | 1640 yards | 01m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Speed Suit
Course:
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:04
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:18:12 | 26.1 miles | 20.03 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:04
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:53:47 | 06.21 miles | 08m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 23/
Course: Freakin hilly!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-09-12 9:07 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA
Subject: The Tugaloo Triathlon

2010-09-12 4:23 PM
in reply to: #3093441

User image

Master
Subject: RE: The Tugaloo Triathlon
Way to go, James!  A 2 minute PR is nothing to sneeze at and I'm impressed with your speed in all 3 sections!  Whoo!
2010-09-12 4:23 PM

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA

Strong race. 

Next time, head back to the transition right before the swim start and let the air out of coldfire's tires.  Works like a charm....

2010-09-13 9:01 AM

New user

I am glad you said that about the swim being longer than past years, I was pissed when I got out of the water also!
2010-09-13 10:27 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Nice day! I'm not at all sure what the flip turn at the buoy looks like but it sounds like something a fishie would pull out of the bag o' tricks..

You really did a nice job training the last couple of months..I think it showed in the results. Chapeau.
2010-09-13 10:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
GA
nice race captain!

2010-09-13 3:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Seriously strong race. Great way to end off the season!
2010-09-14 10:04 AM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Great race out there captin! You definitely looked strong during the run, even if you say you were out of gas.

Your bike split was up, run split down, swim well that is apples to oranges so you can not compare. Still, you pulled a PR over last year's time, so congrats!

AH HA, I knew you did your fancy pants buoy turn. Man, I got a good laugh out of that during my swim.

Again, congrats on a very solid day!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Tugaloo Triathlon Rss Feed