Ft. Hood MWR
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 43m 50s
Overall Rank = 144/208
Age Group = F 50 and over
Age Group Rank = 3/8
Pre-race routine:

2 cups of coffee and a bowl of oatmeal. Drove to race site by 6:30 for an 8 a.m. start. Nothing was set up. Had to wait for transition racks to be put up and for them to get the registration packet tables ready. Finally picked up my packet which included a T-shirt and race number. I was told we needed to pin the race number to our shirt, yeah right. Ordered a medium T-shirt, got an X-Large. All of that should have been an omen for how the day was to progress.
Event warmup:

None, maybe some light stretching.
Swim
  • 06m 49s
  • 328 yards
  • 02m 05s / 100 yards
Comments:

I guess last year they sent off everyone one at a time. This year they decided to do 3 waves, all men, all women, all youth. Men started, they obviously didn't know which side of the buoys they were supposed to be on, they were all over the place! Women had to wait until ALL the men were finished because the boat ramp where we went in and came out was pretty narrow. Saw 2 men in wetsuits (REALLY?? For a 300m swim??) and 3 men wearing life jackets?? Obviously NOT a USAT sanctioned event...

Satrted up front,got off well. Had a good bit of body contact, but the water was nice and cool, and it was a pretty good swim.
What would you do differently?:

Try and get to clear water sooner.
Transition 1
  • 01m 1s
Comments:

1st/8 in AG, 35/208 Overall

Keep working on getting socks on wet feet and into bike shoes faster.
Bike
  • 40m 49s
  • 12 miles
  • 17.64 mile/hr
Comments:

The big hill right out of transition was a killer. Passed 2 men walking it. Once I got past that it was a good ride. I made a decision to ride this a little slower than usual, hoping to save some legs for the run. Once I hit the turnaround, it got much easier and I felt like I was cruising. Passed a lot of men, a few women. Ate some Shot Blox about 7 miles out.

Ride it with all I've got!! Screw saving anything for the run...
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

4/8 AG, 116/208 Overall

Got a calf cramp trying to get one of my running shoes on, slowed me down.

Loosen up shoes so I wouldn't have problems slipping them on.
Run
  • 54m 8s
  • 3.8 miles
  • 14m 15s  min/mile
Comments:

Awful, horrible, sucking run. Even though I held back on the bike, the run still sucked. My HR was going crazy, couldn't catch my breath even running as slow as I could, so I ended up walking waaaaay too much. The Weenie-Devil on my left shoulder FAR outweighed the HTFU-Angel on my right shoulder. I would run the flats and the downhills, but had to stop on even the slightest uphill. As we were about 1/2 mile away from the turnaround and the only water station, people started telling us they had run out of water... turns out they ran out of water bottles, but they had big containers of water, BUT you had to pick up a discarded used water bottle or cup off the ground if you wanted any. So yes, I had a cup of lukewarm water from a cup I picked up off the ground, nice. I was probably about MOP by this time, I felt really bad for the people behind me.

Hammer the bike and pick up as much times as I could, then just hold on for whatever I could do on the run. It couldn't have been much worse.
Post race
Warm down:

Went and got another cup of lukewarm water and an orange... had to wait behind some women (spectator)who shoved her 2 kids in front of me. Walked around a bit, talked to some folks, packed up all my stuff and waited for the awards ceremony.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Either not enought water or nutrition that made the run really suck. Not enough training the past few weeks.

Event comments:

All the disorganization and screw ups continued into the awards ceremony. They couldn't get straight what the youth age groups were... gave out awards to 2 age groups, then called everyone that had won so far back up to the front to tray and figure it out, that took about 20 minutes. It took about an hour to give out awards. Strange age groups too... 20-29, 29-39, 40-49, 50 and above. They said next year would be 5 year increments, we'll see! Nice award though, etched glass thing.

REALLY disorganized race, but it WAS free. Very disappointed in my run, but the rest of the race was good. I was happy with my swim and bike. Not sure I'll want to do this one next year, but free is free.

Last updated: 2010-08-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:49 | 328 yards | 02m 05s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/8
Overall: 46/208
Performance: Good
Suit: 2 piece tri suit
Course: Swim straight out past 3 boat buoys, swim straight back, keeping buoys on your left.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:01
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:40:49 | 12 miles | 17.64 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/8
Overall: 72/208
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Immediate HUGE @$$ hill directly out of transition. Then a downhill to the main road, a few rollers, 6 miles out, turnaround come back. Short steep hill coming back into the park, and then the huge downhill back to T2.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:54:08 | 03.8 miles | 14m 15s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/8
Overall: 175/208
Performance: Bad
Course: Out and back. Turned out the run was about a half mile long, was supposed to be a 5K.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No