United States
Nautica
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 29m 57s
Overall Rank = 142/1077
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 16/80
Pre-race routine:

Spent the night before eating at C&Os with some of my friends to carbo load. Went to sleep at around 11:45 and woke up at 4:20 to drive up to Malibu. In the morning, I ate a peanut butter sandwich with bananas for breakfast and drank some water.
Event warmup:

Me and my buddy parked quite a ways from the start line, so that walk was a bit of a warm up. In the transition area, I was able to chat with Matt Reed. The dude is a cool guy.
Swim
  • 30m 9s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

I have joined a Masters Swim Group since my last tri, so I have gain some confidence in the swim. Usually, I would stay in the back and just swim my pace. This time, I swam with crowd and the first 150 yards was really tough. I kept getting kicked in the face, I got some slaps in the face and it was tough to sight. Because of all the chaos, and bodies everywhere, I drank some salt water. I eventually got into my groove after 400 yards. Took way too long, but I am thankful I was able to get into it. Sighting for me was horrible though. I kept swimming away from the buoys, doing zigzags.
What would you do differently?:

Swim on the outer side of the chaos, keep head down and keep swimming, instead of lifting my head from time to time, It drained alot of my energy. Kick a little more, because I was relying on my pull to get through most of the swim. Triceps ended up a little sore.
Transition 1
  • 03m 15s
Comments:

I was really tired after the swim, and was trying to catch my breath on the way to T1. This lead to a slow run into T1. Definitely have to work on getting out of T1 with shoes clipped on the bike. I could have atleast saved 1:30 mins off of T1

Run faster into shore. Clip the shoes on the bike.
Bike
  • 1h 08m 32s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 21.76 mile/hr
Comments:

I wanted to pound the bike just to see how my legs would feel before the run. I was hoping to go anywhere between 21:5 - 22.5 mph. My Garmin says i was goin 21.8, but the official time was 21.5 . i was passed by only 4 people, and they must have been going anywhere between 23-24 mph. I was climbing the hills at anywhere between 16-19mph, which means I gotta start climbing again. On the way out to the loop, I saw the other pros making their way back into town. Towards the end of the ride, my Giro Advantage was hurting my head for some reason. It felt like someone was squeezing it for juice and pulp. May need to fix it. My chain came off for a bit but I was able to pedal it back on. Overall, I am very happy with the bike portion, as it is a race pr for me (I've only done 1 other olym).

Attack the hills a little harder, climb more and don't be afraid to go faster.
Transition 2
  • 02m 33s
Comments:

I could have saved another 1:30 on here too, but my lack of concentration prolonged it. My hands were a bit cold and for some reason, I had trouble tying my shoes, so that took a bit of time. Definitely could have run faster to my rack.

Practice, Practice and practice. I may try out sockless running for this particular distance.
Run
  • 45m 27s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

My garmin says I only did 6 miles, which would make my run a 7:35 pace. I think the course is not 6.2 miles, actually I'm pretty it wasn't, Nautica was pretty generous in that regard. So the 7:19 per/mile pace was a bit generous. HOWEVER, I definitely could have ran faster than I did. The first 2.5 miles, both of my quads were tightening up, twitching and cramping up, so I just punched my legs as I ran. At the 2nd water station, I drank some water and accelerade to get some sodium in the legs to avoid the cramping. After that, it was cruise control. I got tired at around mile 4, but just kept pushing. At the end, I had some crazy burst of energy to do a sprint finish which means to me, I had a lot left in my legs to run a 42. Although my initial goal was just to keep it under 8 mins a mile, I felt really good and surprised myself on the run. I could have definitely gone faster.

Run faster, run faster, run faster. Definitely will train harder on my run. Gotta put more miles in it.
Post race
Warm down:

I was waiting for one of my friends to finish, so during that time, I was just hanging out with some friends and eating some fruit.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Cramping, and a minor lag in focus. I definitely could have run faster.

Event comments:

My Goal was a 2:30 and I got a 2:29 and some change. Cannot complain about the time since I crushed my last years olympic time by 20 mins or so. This is on account of the focus of run training and just overall focus of the other disciplines. I was very happy with the race as it made me realize that I can accomplish a lot of the goals I have set for myself (IMAZ, BQ, KONA qualify) only if I put the right training, focus and discipline into it. Though a small Age Group, I was 16 out of 80. That's only 6 away from a top 10, and that's only 13 away from a top 3, and it's 15 away from being number 1. I know, seems impossible, and unlikely, but my mind is set, I'm going to do this. Praise God for giving me strength to endure.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-07-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:09 | 1640 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/80
Overall: 380/1077
Performance: Average
Suit: Orca Sonar
Course: Course is a swim out to a buoy, right turn to swim pass 6 buoys where you make another turn to swim into shore and then a run into transition
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 59F / 15C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:15
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:08:32 | 24.85 miles | 21.76 mile/hr
Overall: 82/1077
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: The ride starts out with going south through the zuma parking lot, and then crossing a bridge to the bike loop which goes north for 12.5 miles and then back around. Rolling hills with a few that sting.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:33
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:45:27 | 06.21 miles | 07m 19s  min/mile
Overall: 189/1077
Performance: Good
Course: And out and bike loop through the parking lot, into pavement of the beach and back. Really small hills and a bit curvy.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-09-12 5:22 PM

User image

Veteran
SoCal
Subject: Nautica Malibu Triathlon

2010-09-12 9:42 PM
in reply to: #3093950

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego
Subject: RE: Nautica Malibu Triathlon
Dude!  Right on target.  Congrats on the swim - heard it was cold.  Sounds like a well executed race.  Transitions will  come.  Enjoy some rest - you deserve it.  Again, nice job!
2010-09-14 1:14 PM
in reply to: #3093950

User image

Master
Westlake Village , Ca.
Subject: RE: Nautica Malibu Triathlon
Great job Michael! Don't be too hard on yourself. Pacing is a tough thing to get right. Sometimes we under estimate and sometimes we over estimate. It is not uncommon to feel good at the end of the run. Adrenaline helps and it also usually takes 2-3 miles to get your "running" legs back.

Do work on transition though...3 minutes is a ton to give up. You shouldn't be tying shoes at a minimum! That's free time with no more work, just some prep.

Again, great job...too bad I didn't see you out there to say hi....
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Nautica Malibu Triathlon Rss Feed