General Discussion Triathlon Talk » That's why they call it a "Try" athlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-07-23 10:28 PM

Subject: That's why they call it a "Try" athlon

I live in Minnesota, why not do the Life Time Fitness Sprint Triathlon as my first? Well, needless to say the big event did not go as I would of hoped. My alarm clock went off at 4:15am and I was down to Lake Nikomis by 5:30am. Found a place to park, put on my back-pack loaded with gear and road my bike two miles to the race area.

I found my designated transition area and set up. At 7:30am we had to leave the transition area and wait for our swim event to begin...mine was at 10am. To say the heat was uncomfortable is an understatement...it was 94 degrees by 9am and believe me, it felt like it, too.

Around 9:45am I moved to the beach and waited for my turn to swim...one nice thing about the Life Time event is that there is not a massive wave of people all going at the same time like you see in some races. Instead it is spaced so that each competitor hits the water in 3 second intervals. A little nervous, I waited my turn...I got the signal and hit water...the temperature of the water was incredible, although it was a bit choppier than swimming in a pool...and by the way...anyone who ever tells you that there is no difference in swimming in a pool or a lake has either never done it or is full of it! The first thing you notice is the waves hitting your face as you are trying to breath, not to mention the current, sun in your eyes, and the "real" swimmers bumping into you as they pass.

Training in the pool I had the half mile down to about 20 minutes so had planned on about a 25 minute swim in the lake. As I neared the 1/4 mile turn around point I looked at my watch and saw I was just over 12 minutes, a tad behind schedule but I felt I could get back and make it up on the bike - which I consider my strongest event. About two seconds later...BAM... a young girl passing me accidentally kicks my neck with her ankle...right about the wind pipe to be exact...I happened to be breathing in at the time so I drank in about a pound of nasty lake water and treaded water trying to catch my breath...and tried...and tried...and tried...you know how when you get the air knocked out of you it's a good idea to sit down for a second and recover? That's a bit difficult to do when you are in 20 feet of water - one of the life guards saw that I was in trouble and swam over to check on me - while talking to her I still could not recover my breathing so she called over the boat and off to the medical tent I went.

Suffice it to say, the last place I ever pictured myself ending up at was the medical tent - but I really didn't have a choice. I had a pretty nasty mark on my neck and was just not breathing properly...and still had another 1/4 mile to swim. So onto the boat I went...were it that I was a girl, I would of cried...instead I sat quietly and silently and cursed the luck. While on the boat two others joined me. The first, a girl in phenomenal shape was complaining about cramps...CRAMPS? God, have a sip of water and finish the stupid race I thought. The next guy who got on the boat was laughing, saying he forgot how much he hated to swim and just wanted to get back to shore and get on his bike. When informed that his race was over if he got on the boat he said, "screw it, I'm not going to win any money here!" and on he went.

Well there you have it...my first...and definitely not last attempt at triathlon. With that said, I'm going to go wallow in my sorrow and look for a new race to get ready for!

2005-07-23 11:38 PM
in reply to: #205688

User image

Expert
Raleigh, NC
Subject: RE: That's why they call it a "Try" athlon
Good to hear that you are going to keep at it...it stinks that you got kicked. It's ironic that it happened when you guys were spaced out at the start.

Good luck at your next one...have you signed-up yet?
2005-07-24 5:22 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Sorry about your luck.  DNF is definatley better than local triathlete dies on swim.  Hope you area feeling better and there is no permanant damage.  Take care and train hard -SMO
2005-07-24 6:25 AM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
You tried and that was all that was important here. Sign up TODAY for another one so you can focus on it and not yesterday.

Oh and if you were a girl you would not have cried either
2005-07-24 10:51 AM

Expert
New Orleans, LA

Man that sucks! But it's okay. Just gotta get back on the horse I guess. Sign up for another one soon.

Remember, "After a while, even scars will make you smile"  - I love that quote.

2005-07-24 12:50 PM

User image

Expert
Alabama
Good for you for getting out there and giving it your all! You will recover quickly from that injury, lucky they weren`t scaping you off the side of the road after coming off your bike, or spraining an ankle on the run. It`s a shame that your first tri happened this way, but at least for your next tri you will have a good idea on how the swim works. You just swam into some bad luck, that more than likely wont happen again. Keep at it, we look forward to your next race. Can I suggest you get out into some OW for practise so next time you will be comfortable in the OW.

2005-07-24 6:33 PM

User image

Master
Minnesota
Wow that sucks...but way to keep going!
2005-07-24 7:06 PM

User image

Expert
Los Gatos, CA
I guess you will have to write this one off to "this sucks" as it has nothing to do with your preparedness, the race etc. just a freak accident....just great that you are willing to get right back in the saddle and get this behind you.....(the girl that kicked you, was she breast stroking? that could make for an interesting re-thread here ;-)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » That's why they call it a "Try" athlon Rss Feed