F.I.R.M. Racing
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 6h 26m
Overall Rank = 271/298
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 36/40
Pre-race routine:

yogurt and fruit, chocolate milk, stayed at nearby inn, ocean rose, which made prep much easier. walk down to race site w/ jo
Event warmup:

none, walk down beach to swim start
Swim
  • 37m 27s
  • 2640 yards
  • 01m 25s / 100 yards
Comments:

not nervous at all about the race or the swim. seeded ok, not banged around at all. bit of a melee around the 1st and last buoys tho. I think the current was pretty good so bet that helped. just swam along. happy with swim, glad to be doing it!
What would you do differently?:

nothing, pro swim training and hours at the pool might cut a few minutes off but I dont have time or money for that. just swim the best I can on a particular day.
Transition 1
  • 04m 14s
Comments:

ok t-1. bit of issues with getting suit off heels. bit of extra time packing in goodies for the ride. (granola bars, pop tarts, goo, various drink.
jogged thru from beach, fairly efficient for me on T1

nothing, all good
Bike
  • 3h 13m 48s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.34 mile/hr
Comments:

had fun on the bike, worked the gears to survive and do ok for me. fun to back and forth with other riders. tried to eat a little but felt full and didnt want to eat. couple bites each of pop tarts and granola bars with drinks. couple ounces of goo. was hoping the lask of nutrition wasnt going to haunt me later on the run. didnt seem to.

bikes before have ranged from 3 hrs to 3:30 ish. all good.

couple of 75 milers and runs off the bike.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

no t2 times noted. think it comes off the run. had to hit the porta joh for a bit after bike. lost a few minutes there but unavoidable.
Run
  • 2h 30m 29s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

felt ok off the bike, not fast but got into the old marathon pacing run pace of around 10m/m or bit less. promised the old bod to give me 6.5 m on a good pace and see what we had after that. not hot out so keeping cool was doable. think the first 10k or so was around an hour.

The 2nd half wasnt ugly but surely not a run fest. ran more than walked, only walked a total of 2 miles. walked at first to down a lunch of pop tarts! walked mostly thru the water stops. one of the last stops has some cups of coke.wow that was great! that was enough at 10 miles to get me thru the end. ran the final 3. last 1/3 mile is on beach, ran on hard sand.
overall pleased with run effort. years past have been both longer and shorter.

run more long and short off the bike. no 'bike legs' issues jsut get more used to ne endurance.
Post race
Warm down:

walk around a bit, get to quiet area and savor watermelon and cold coke that jo had superbly packed and kept cold. ahhhh....just the right post race chillout. beach chairs in a sandy, beach grass lined little nook.

super thanks to isis cheerleading!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

not bad for deciding on wednesday afternoon to do the race. went with training in the tank already. not recomending doing a 1/2 iron or marathon (as I did last year) on a whim! worked out ok this time.

Event comments:

good race overall. roads leave something to be desired but that is out of RD's control. not a stellar race like patroit...no band, etc. however there were hula chicks!

Last updated: 2010-07-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:27 | 2640 yards | 01m 25s / 100yards
Age Group: 38/40
Overall: 278/298
Performance: Good
Suit: full
Course: rectangle. out beyond breakers which were minimal this year due to low tide. then about a mile long leg with the current and then in. well marked
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:14
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:13:48 | 56 miles | 17.34 mile/hr
Age Group: 29/40
Overall: 231/298
Performance: Average
Wind: Headwind
Course: mostly a out and back on rt. 1 in rhode island to westerly near connecticut border. about 1/2 the road was crappy, moderate traffic also. ride in breakdown lane mostly. one area that sucked was a bridge replacement project where there was not breakdown so had to bike in travel lane. hills on highway were typical highway inclines, so not bad. there is one area off the highway for about 6 miles in a lolipop figure that is rurual and hilly with no traffic.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:30:29 | 13.1 miles | 11m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 37/40
Overall: 278/298
Performance: Average
Course: out on a couple flat and scenic neighborhood loops around a saltwater inlet. nice people in the neighborhoods.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2010-09-12 7:35 PM

User image

Expert
wrightsville beach, North Carolina
Subject: F.I.R.M.MAN Triathlon

2010-09-13 6:12 PM
in reply to: #3094221

User image

Master
CT
Subject: RE: F.I.R.M.MAN Triathlon

Great job Glen! Was fun seeing you and Joanne! You looked good every time I saw you out there! Didn't see you post race. I guess you were hiding in your little nook with that cold watermelon and coke

2010-09-13 6:15 PM

User image

Expert
Avon, CT
congratulations Glen!
2010-09-14 11:40 AM

Expert

Great job Glen.  Sorry I didn't get to see you but I saw Jo before and after the race so I knew you were out there.  G;ad your race went well.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » F.I.R.M.MAN Triathlon Rss Feed