McGuire Mud Run
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 08m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Last minute decision to do this race so hooked up with Jay and met up with a few guys he knows and 2 other girls who were also doing the race. We all drove up in a caravan together. Was a bit of chaos at the race. We had an 11:20 start corral but jumped in with the 10:00 starters.
Event warmup:

Just the walk from the car to the course as was planning on breaking any records as quite a few obstacles to deal with.
Run
  • 1h 08m
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 57s  min/mile
Comments:

There was 8 of us and we decided to just run as a group as figured the obstacles may be difficult. Took off at about an 9 minute mile pace and hit the 1st mud pit. Had to belly crawl through it and I managed to postion myself in prime pace booty position. Realized right after this I didn't have high enough socks on for how wet this was going to be. Then hit a straight away with a 45 or so degree wood wall with ropes. Jay wanted to try sprinting up without the ropes so we hit it hard and bolted over. Problem was had to go down the other side and came pretty close to a bad wipeout. Stopped after this to wait for the girls to catch up. Ran about another 3/4 of a mile and hit the 1st water crossing. They had us walk probally 100 yards in water that was knee high and then had holes that got up to chest level. Quite a few logs and stuff to step through so very slow going. My memory gets a bit hazy on the order of the obstacles but from there we hit some 4 foot walls to jump over and some under or over wood hurdles things. Second water crossing was more of a swamp than anything and quite smelly and filthy. Stopped again to wait for the whole group. Mile 3 took us about 14 minutes and I stopped keeping track at that time. Last 3 miles was more of the same and included some steep dirt/mud hills and a few smaller hills with mud pits on the other side. They really seemed to get my heartrate up a bit. Around mile 3 the 6 guys ended up leaving the girls behind as they were starting to go really slow. The rest of us stayed together the whole time and we finished in a bit of a sprint to try and get a good pic.
What would you do differently?:

Not much since it wasn't about time just good dirty fun!
Post race
Warm down:

Hit the showers to get all the rocks, sand, etc off me and out of my shoes. Also grabbed a bagel and some water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Didn't run for time. Would be interesting to try and push a race like this as the obstacles do a good job of getting your heartrate up.

Event comments:

Loved the course as felt like it was challenging without ruling out a bunch of people from racing it. Had an employee from work who was supposed to run and interested to know if she was able to finish or not. The organizers seemed a bit overwhelmed with all the people that signed up for the race (cutoff was at 8,000). Would probably be better off keeping it a bit smaller but still a lot of fun nonetheless. Would like to run again next year and go all out to see what my time would be.

Last updated: 2010-09-08 12:00 AM
Running
01:08:00 | 06.21 miles | 10m 57s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: 3 crawling mud pits, a few vertical walls, one 10 foot angled wall, 3 main water crossings with many "holes", so jumps with mud pit on the otherside, etc.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-09-12 8:09 PM

User image

Master
Robbinsville NJ
Subject: McGuire Mud Run

2010-09-14 10:11 AM
in reply to: #3094290

User image

Master
Almost Canada, WA
Subject: RE: McGuire Mud Run
This sounds like A TON of fun Bob! Glad you had a good time with it
2010-09-15 8:27 AM
in reply to: #3094290

User image

Master
Robbinsville NJ
Subject: RE: McGuire Mud Run
Pic from the race. I'm in the middle #2524.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » McGuire Mud Run Rss Feed