United States
TNT productions
Precipitation
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = F30-34
Age Group Rank = 175/326
Pre-race routine:

It was raining and cold, not ideal circumstances. I didn't have any warm clothes I was comfortable just ditching so I tried to stay dry and warm as best I could with a poncho. A few of us ended up huddling behind one of the generators powering the lights for warmth. Despite the fumes, it wasn't too bad.
Swim
  • 37m 8s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 16s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim course felt more crowded then last year for some reason. I got bumped around a lot. I don't mind that so much, but I did mind when some dude from 2 waves behind me came up and punched me in the head (while he was sighting, he saw me!). Thankfully that was towards the end and I knew I was getting out soon.

I was hoping to cut my swim time down more, only 30 seconds better then last year. I seem to be stuck on auto-pilot for races. No matter what the distance or the conditions, I average 2:30 100/meters. It's bizarre.
Transition 1
  • 05m 18s
Comments:

The distance to get to transition was much further then last year's. Last year I had a 4 minute transition and I spent a good minute or two looking for my bike computer in my gear bag. This year I didn't have any blips, and yet it was a minute longer.
Bike
  • 1h 21m 18s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.34 mile/hr
Comments:

I'm pretty proud of my biking! I averaged 16.5 last year. So a huge improvement, and I worked hard for it! I was excited to actually be passing people left and right, not typical for me. The wet roads really didn't impact me much, we all had to go slow around the corners, but I'm cautions on turns anyways, so I can't say it affected my time that much. I did have troubles eating and drinking on the bike in the rain and wet conditions. I'm sure I didn't drink quite as much water as I would've because I had a hard time keeping a grip on my water bottle. Also, my food got soggy pretty quickly, and was hard to choke down.
Transition 2
  • 03m 20s
Comments:

I remembered to take my bike gloves off, an achievement in itself!
Run
  • 1h 02m 27s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

I can't stand running around Haines Point. It seems like every race in DC ends up there. I don't mind it on the bike for some reason, but on foot it just feels like it takes forever. I passed the time the same way I did last year: singing 99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall in my head. I was passed a lot on the run, and only passed a small handful of people--most of them walking. I knew I was doing 10 minute miles, which isn't speedy, but I didn't think so many people would be faster. ah well.
Post race
Warm down:

Walking back to transition and to my car, ha!

Event comments:

We had a 25 minute rain delay. I can appreciate the organizers wanting to help us have time to get our transition set up, but when I was already started 90 minutes after the first wave I wasn't excited about it. The whole crowd groaned when they announced it, so I guess I wasn't alone.

There were tons of volunteers warning us on bad patches of road or turns coming up--I really appreciated that.

My only complaint is that the porta potties ran out of toilet paper by the time my husband got to the race. He counted--60 units and not a single one had toilet paper by like 9:30! There were people there till past noon!

Last updated: 2010-01-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:08 | 1640 yards | 02m 16s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/326
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit: no
Course: The course was simple, out and back, with buoys every 100 meters, marked with their distance. I really appreciated that aspect.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 05:18
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:21:18 | 24.85 miles | 18.34 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Around DC, up the Clara Barton, Cabin John, a little of Rock Creek (I think). Hard to explain. It was much less crowded then last year, though. I was super worried about bottle necks because I experienced them a few times last year, but nothing this year. The organizers did great placing and timing the waves in that respect. Also, there were way fewer potholes and rough road.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 90
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:20
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:02:27 | 06.21 miles | 10m 04s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Down Constitution, around the tidal basin a bit down by the Washington Monument and off to the most boring places of all: Haines Point.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-09-13 7:11 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: The Nation's Triathlon

2010-09-13 7:14 AM
in reply to: #3094743

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: RE: The Nation's Triathlon
ROFL, ok, so I am not the only one that sings 99 bottles of beer while running around HP, for all the local races!

Congrats, Great Race!
2010-09-13 7:18 AM
in reply to: #3094753

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
Every one of my tris ends up with lots of people passing me, while I look for people with broken legs, gashes, upset stomachs, etc. that I can pass.

Congrats on your improvement.
2010-09-13 1:32 PM
in reply to: #3094753

User image

Regular
dalessit - 2010-09-13 8:14 AM ROFL, ok, so I am not the only one that sings 99 bottles of beer while running around HP, for all the local races!

Congrats, Great Race!

Nope LOL! And it's good to know *I'm* not the only one either! Congrats on your race, as well.

Heather
2010-09-13 1:34 PM
in reply to: #3094761

User image

Regular
pga_mike - 2010-09-13 8:18 AM Every one of my tris ends up with lots of people passing me, while I look for people with broken legs, gashes, upset stomachs, etc. that I can pass.

Congrats on your improvement.

When I started triathlons I thought I'd at least have the old people beat... nope! Turns out that if you are older and in good enough shape to race, you are generally in way better shape then most of us 30 somethings LOL.  Thanks for the congrats!

Heather
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Nation's Triathlon Rss Feed