Max Performance
60sF / 0C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 23m 33s
Overall Rank = 160/610
Age Group = newbie
Age Group Rank = 27/238
Pre-race routine:

Woke up 10 minutes before my alarm was set to go off. Watched the clock tick until two minutes left and decided to get moving. Prepped a whole wheat bagel with PB, 1/2 a banana, coffee and my water bottles and off I go. Got to the park faster than expected and ended up being first in line to get marked and enter transition.

Got an awesome end spot, my wheels pumped up and chatted with fellow racers in between what was probably a dozen pee breaks.
Event warmup:

About 15 minutes before pre race meeting I took a warm up swim. So glad I did. Felt good, got a sense of the rocks...scratch that... boulders and the murkiness.

Other than that, just mild stretches and running through the transition area to keep warm. Took a Gu after my warm up swim.
Swim
  • 11m 8s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 30s / 100 yards
Comments:

Was in the second to last wave. Lots of pre-race anxiety, my right toes were going numb from standing aruond so long. Felt better once in the water. Found a spot behind the first row but with no one directly in front of me.

I kept getting water in my mouth and nose no matter which way I turned and ended up doing the breast stroke here and there so I just never got into a good rhythm. 1/2 way through I hear a swim angel asking if someone needs assistance. I looked over and see one of my friends who started in the wave in front of me. Gave her a little shout out and tried to "Just keep swimming". The swim volunteers were awesomely motivating at the end. Was 2 min slower than expected.

Plus side is I didn't feel panicked like I tend to do with some OWS's. Maybe b/c it was race day, maybe b/c of I couldn't see anything beyong my own hand in that water.
What would you do differently?:

Need more OWS with lots of chop. Try out swimming in a wetsuit too.
Transition 1
  • 01m 27s
Comments:

I ROCKED this transition. Fastest T1 of the day.

Not wasted those 10 seconds by trying to rinse off the sand with water from my water bottle.

Also maybe cut off the racer who jumped into the shoot right before me. Her speed probably cost me a good 15-20 seconds in getting on my bike b/c the shoot was so long and narrow and I could not get around her.
Bike
  • 37m 9s
  • 10 miles
  • 16.15 mile/hr
Comments:

Frustrated with the narrow mounting area for the bike. At least 5 racers where having difficulty getting on their bikes and blocked the entire road in front of me. Also frustrated with how the cones were placed at the corners on the course. They provided a very narrow area for turning and on very rough roads. Lost a lot of speed here.

Bike didn't feel normal. Felt like something was rubbing. Wonder if I missed something that morning but couldn't find anything wrong. Also my gear shifter was acting up again even after being changed out a month ago. Ended up fiddling with it lots.

Otherwise felt good. Only two women passed me. The second on the last hill but she was slower in T2 so she had to pass me again on the run. Ha!

Nothing but I need to either do a complete overhaul on my 22 yo roadie or upgrade to a new bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m 6s
Comments:

Smooth. Racked bike. helmet off. socks and shoes on. Grabed my race belt and I was off.

I was worried I'd try to run out the bike. Happy that didn't happen.

Put on those Lock Laces.
Run
  • 32m 46s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

After my knee injuries in May and June, and not being able to run much I knew this would be my slowest leg. Got an awful stitch in my side going up the first hill. Could not get rid of it until I hit mile 2.

Took Gatorade at both water stations.

Did finish strong. Someone passed me with maybe 100yds to go. As soon as she got in front of me something inside me clicked and I let loose. She and I went full out sprint those last yards. I am happy to report I made it to the finish first and even passed a few others in the process. Interested to see photos if there are any.

Lose another 20 lbs. Run more.
Post race
Warm down:

Still very wet so I got changed quickly, looked for the hubs and kids, and waited for my friends to come in.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Weight, old and crappy bike, and lack of run training and swim experience.

Event comments:

Good post race food. Fun awards ceremony and prize giveaway.

Wish the hubs had not forgotten the camera nor missed my finish. I think he needs a prerace checklist as well.

Last updated: 2010-05-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:08 | 440 yards | 02m 30s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/238
Overall: 185/610
Performance: Below average
Suit: no
Course: straight shot from boat house to beach.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:27
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:37:09 | 10 miles | 16.15 mile/hr
Overall: 72/610
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: Hilly and bumpy.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:06
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:32:46 | 03.1 miles | 10m 34s  min/mile
Overall: 410/610
Performance: Below average
Course: lots of 'off road' over grass and sand and evern through the woods.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2010-09-13 7:37 AM

User image

Expert
metro west, MA
Subject: Title 9 Women Only Triathlon

2010-09-13 8:28 AM
in reply to: #3094800

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
Subject: RE: Title 9 Women Only Triathlon
Congrats.  I am actually more nervous in murky water.
2010-09-13 11:37 AM
in reply to: #3094800

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA
Subject: RE: Title 9 Women Only Triathlon

Nice race report!  Way to "Hurry UP" and make that finish line sprint happen.   Sorry you have no pics since it's a nice race venue, and we love MAX Perf races.  

Happy transition to off-season soon... fall is coming, ready or not.  

Cheers -Sunny

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Title 9 Women Only Triathlon Rss Feed