Williamsburg, Virginia
United States
Set-Up Events
Total Time = 4h 59m 3s
Overall Rank = 31/537
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 13/90
Pre-race routine:

The usual for me... rushing. Got chip, marked, setup transition and as I'm walking out they announce transition will close in less than a minute. An area I'd like to improve upon.
Event warmup:

None really a few strokes down @ the water, maybe 50m.
Swim
  • 45m 1s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 08s / 100 yards
Comments:

My swim stunk, didn't site that great on the first leg and it seems not matter what I did I couldn't seem to pass people in front of me. I would go left, they'd be there, I'd move right someone else would slide over there... frustrating. Got kicked in the face knocking my goggles off. I probably zig zagged the first leg making it even longer trying to find a path. First turn buoy was a real crowded mess. Second leg was better, less congested, but still had to contend with some traffic. Last leg was actually a pretty good site I think and didn't have to contend with many people.
What would you do differently?:

Site better and maybe take a much more inside lane that I did to clear slower swimmers at the outset. The end of the swim was quite shallow, maybe it would have been better to swim in further and do more dolphin dives? Overall I'm a much better swimmer... WTH??? Seriously I was forecasting to be out of the water A LOT earlier, my worst competitive swim EVER.
Transition 1
  • 03m 32s
Comments:

Realized halfway through my swim I had not put my bike number on, rookie mistake! It meant I had to go to my backpack at the end of my transition row, open it and fish out the number and put it on my seat tube. My glasses were covered in morning dew as well... wiped off with transition towel after looking around to see what I had available and took off with a slightly unclear view of the world.

Put my bike number on and haven't figured out a solution for the glasses yet... but they cleared up pretty quickly once some air was passing in/through them.
Bike
  • 2h 28m 6s
  • 56.8 miles
  • 23.01 mile/hr
Comments:

Pretty good ride, thought I'd be faster, but it seemed like the section of flat downhill after 30miles I was hoping to hammer also had a little headwind to contend with. I was already @ 24+mph pace and that slipped over that last 20 something miles. Good ride, passed LOTS of people. Passed a few drafting packs, one guy tried to catch my wheel but I wasn't having it and rode off from him.

Hydration stunk on the ride. Dropped my bottle of Heed upon a successful hand off simply because I botched putting it in the cage. Was really in need of the last hand off which I blew by @ ~25mph because I thought it was just a crew working a side road... they were just standing there with bottles to their sides.
Transition 2
  • 01m 6s
Comments:

Good transition.
Run
  • 1h 41m 19s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

Not the run I had hoped for. Went OK, but I was hoping for 5-10 minutes better here. Was drinking water and Heed @ various stops. Think my botched hydration on the bike was felt on the run.

Hydrate better on the bike.
Post race
Warm down:

Bottle of Gatorade, followed by two bottles of water. Walked for a few minutes and then sat down for a few.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Felt like hydration on the tail end drug me down.

Event comments:

Loved the experience, will probably do it again and fix some of the mistakes I made during the race. Not bad for my first half iron man I suppose.

Last updated: 2010-07-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:45:01 | 2112 yards | 02m 08s / 100yards
Age Group: 50/90
Overall: 189/537
Performance: Below average
Suit: nope
Course: Rectangle... I think. First leg supposedly into the current, second leg with the current and the final leg with the current to my side coming back to shore.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:32
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:28:06 | 56.8 miles | 23.01 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/90
Overall: 10/537
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:06
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:41:19 | 13.1 miles | 07m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 16/90
Overall: 50/537
Performance: Below average
Course: Two loop course on bike paths and trails.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-09-13 8:43 AM

User image

Expert
Culpeper, VA
Subject: Patriots Half

2010-09-13 8:58 AM
in reply to: #3094919

User image

Expert
Williamsburg, VA
Subject: RE: Patriots Half
Congrats on a fast finish for your first HIM. Even with the few mistakes you did a great job!!
2010-09-13 10:17 AM
in reply to: #3094953

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Sub 5, awesome!

Great job!
2010-09-18 8:30 PM
in reply to: #3094919

congrats on sub 5 in your first HIM