3Disciplines
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 17m 34s
Overall Rank = 25/173
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 5/23
Pre-race routine:

Pretty much the same as last year, hit transition at 6 got the end spot on the rack closest to the bike out/in. Went back to the trailer and ate a banana and had a bagel with peanut butter. Sucked down a gel and water before heading off to the swim start.
Event warmup:

Little jog around the park before getting the wetsuit on. Trying to figure out if I should go with the neoprene cap under my race swim cap. Ended up just going with a slilicone cap then the race cap.
Swim
  • 28m 29s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 54s / 100 meters
Comments:

The swim was shortened due to waves so we swam the Oly course. Not sure what the difference would've been to swim the full 1.2 The water was warmer then when we did our practice swim yesterday. Got into the water and stuck my face in the water to start the numbing process. The pain wasn't nearly as bad as the day before. Once the horn sounded I stayed to the right which proved to be a bad decision as I kept having folks get washed in front of me by the waves and then they would stand and walk. Couldn't get into my rhythm until I rounded the buoy and hit the deep water. With the rough conditions it makes the OWS practice during tough conditions worth the work. Had a couple of waves wash over me. When I was wading to the exit I heard the announcement of the swim leader so I knew I had done a decent job as I don't think I've ever been that close to the leaders.

What would you do differently?:

Start left on this course during rough conditions. Could've easily cut off another couple of minutes if it wasn't for all the walkers and poor rough water swimmers. With the added waves the water felt a few degrees warmer then yesterday so the anticipated pain factor wasn't there.
Transition 1
  • 03m 22s
Comments:

Cutting two inches off the legs of my wet suit worked wonders in getting it off my big feet. No delay and had a nice jog to T1.

Wipe more sand off my feet.
Bike
  • 2h 51m 11s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.63 mile/hr
Comments:

I knew the winds were going to pick up and be tough heading back so I went out at a little more aggressive. Ride went well and I knew I was out in front of the bike way better then last year, I was even able to take a leak from the bike as there was no one around. The word must be out that there is no race officials on this course there was blatant drafting and a few packs of cheats. I felt as though I was fighting the wind all day when we hit Monument on the way back the wind was straight on and tough. Pretty much dropped the chain to the small ring and kept the pace on the easier side to assure a decent run.

Had half a Cliff bar at two different times and two gels, along with one 2.5 hour bottle of Infinit and topped off the Aerodrink water twice at the aid station.

Volunteers were great at the aid station!

I felt strong and could've pushed the pace a bit more. I was in the top %50 last year, so moving it up to the top %30 this year was decent but I have to keep working at the bike.
Transition 2
  • 00m 57s
Comments:

Smooth transition. I didn't see K around and was still wondering how she had done on the sprint tri and the rough water.
Run
  • 1h 53m 33s
  • 13.4 miles
  • 08m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

This has been the third course in three years and this was an improvement over last years but I still had it long at 13.4. Garmin pacing had it at 8:28 which was good. Kept the running steady and just stopped on occasions at aid stations and one quick porta potty stop. When I returned to Bay Street and closed in on the turnaround I could see K sitting on the curb which was nice to see she survived. Pushed the pace on the second loop and was happy to pass at least two of the blatant drafters. Right knee hurt pretty much the entire run and my left hamstring started to cramp right at the finish.

Had few cups of water, one each of gel, heed, and coke and a sip of way to strong Gatorade which I pitched.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some water, ate fruit and fritos. Chatted with Karen and Jurgen then watched Ben cross the finish. Hit the trailer for an icy cold beer. My wonderful wife had already grabbed my bike and gear out of transition so it was great to just walk back.

Ended up with a couple of small blisters due to not cleaning my feet off better after the swim.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Overall it was a nice finish to the triathlon year. I took a more relaxed attitude to training for 2010 and took way more days off this summer then last year and did my own thing which was a nice change after doing a full at B2B in 2009, which seemed more like work at times. I managed to drop nearly 6 minutes off the bike from last year in much tougher conditions and drop my run pace by 16 seconds/mile. Even if the swim would've been the full 1.2 I would've had a PR by 3-5 minutes so all in all not a bad way to finish things off.

Event comments:

Love the course. Wish the swim would go into deep water first as fighting the walkers is a major pain. There was virtually no water safety, two jet skis and one or two life guards holding on to a buoys for dear life doesn't seem real safe. No marshals on the bike course makes for a lot of cheating. I noticed a 3D vehicle following a small pack for over a mile and figured I'd see some penalty's but they don't even have a column for it on the results page so I doubt they got dinged. The after party was nicer then last year and the run course is a good improvement along with the finish on Newman which made it feel more festive.

Last updated: 2009-11-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:29 | 1500 meters | 01m 54s / 100meters
Age Group: 4/23
Overall: 22/173
Performance: Good
Suit: Blue Seventy Helix
Course: Out and back along shore.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: High
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:22
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:51:11 | 56 miles | 19.63 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/23
Overall: 49/173
Wind: Strong
Course: Out on Monument, east on River, down to Cooke Dam back on Monument. Nice course.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:57
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:53:33 | 13.4 miles | 08m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/23
Overall: 31/173
Course: Out on Bay St, to Tawas Beach rd out on Lincoln to turnaround point. Two loops.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-09-13 9:05 AM

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan
Subject: Tawas Triathlon Festival - HIM

2010-09-13 10:11 AM
in reply to: #3094972

User image

Expert
MI
Subject: RE: Tawas Triathlon Festival - HIM
Nice job!  Seems like it was a solid race all around for you.

Yeah, I took down your campsite number thinking I'd stop by after the race, but then I ended up leaving immediately.  Next year!
2010-09-14 3:05 PM

User image

Expert
Farmington, MI

Congrats, Rottie!  Sounds like you had an awesome day.  Weird on the swim and the long run, though.  

Missed you at Rev3 but you had a heck of a day!  Way to go!

2010-09-15 10:15 AM

Hey Steve,
you sure are fast for an old guy   Maybe some day I'll be able to keep up with you on the run, MAYBE!  I had fun hanging with you guys, thanks for letting me be the third wheel.  Hope your recovery is going well and I'll be seeing you soon.
ben
2010-09-15 11:25 AM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Nice job out there and a great improvement from last year....only 13.4 miles this year huh .  They just wanted to make sure you got your money's worth.  Have a great rest of the year.

Ryan

2010-09-15 11:28 AM

User image

Expert
Ann Arbor, MI
Great all around race, Steve. Loving that run split! Very solid schtuff and it sounds like you had fun the whole weekend. Let's do some fall dirt road riding, ok!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tawas Triathlon Festival - HIM Rss Feed